NameSilo

Risk of brand infringement OR risk of creatively spelled domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kaygilb

Impact
I'm having trouble deciding on my domain name... any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I own two domain names bitemylook.com and bitemystyyle.com

In an IDEAL world I'd like to use bitemystyle.com, clean and simple. I'm in touch with the owner and am in negotiations to buy it HOWEVER I'm beginning to think it's not the best idea because there is already a site called bitemystyle.com.hr which is a clothing designer's 'name'. I could not find anything trademarked for the phrase but they do have an established web presence at that name AND social media accounts under the same name 'bitemystyle'.

So --

Option 1: Still go for bitemystyle.com and try to compete with the fashion designer? One question though could they sue me for stealing their name or anything like that? (My blog wouldn't sell clothes but be a fashion commentary -- hopefully one day with advertisements).

Option 2: Go with bitemystyyle.com and take the risk of a creatively spelled domain. I already have all of the social media accounts I would need with the username bitemystyyle

OR

Option 3: Go with bitemylook.com -- it's spelled correctly, there are no direct competitors and I have all of the social media accounts with that name.

Any advice/thoughts would be SUCH a great help, thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Option 1 - I guess the name must mean something. I doubt you'd have an issue.
Option 2 - Please lord. No.
Option 3 - Do people say that? I can understand option 1 but this seems a stretch.

Bone Thugs n Harmony have said :

who said he could bite my shit and call his shit original?

I prefer that

Last edited:
•••
When i type "bitemystyle" on my Google, it shows bitemystyle dot NET at the top of the search results. Your Hungarian nemesis is on No.5. So i guess this bitemystyle thingy is a free-for-all.

I don't think "bitemystyle" is a globally renowned brand, that you are obliged to know and acknowledge its existence in terms of trademark.

I think i read before that the term "iPad" was a trademark in China. So evenif Apple went global using the iPad brand, they could not sell it in China without infringing on this Chinese trademark.

Read here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/02/b...ttles-an-ipad-trademark-dispute-in-china.html

So i guess in case you went global with your bitemystyle whatever it is you are selling, you probably cannot sell your stuff in Hungary or where someone else holds a trademark for it.

•••
Does your proposed business resonate strongly with the Bite My Style/Sh!t idea? In other words if someone in your target market saw your website would they say Yeah, thats a bite my style kind of place?

I would want to go with something unique, rather than lock horns with others already there --- unless "there" is where my customers/readers are.

Bone Thugs n Harmony have said :
who said he could bite my shit and call his shit original?
Truly profound.
That would properly be called derivative sh!t.

•••
Option 3 is the best, but I must say that I don't like this name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back