Dynadot

discuss Show sales before giving Appraisals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amit V

Established Member
Impact
Just an idea. Maybe Namepros should set a benchmark and give out appraisal permissions to members who have proved a certain amount of sales/per year. Only these members should be then allowed to appraise domains for the given time period.
That way the appraisals have some weight.The group of selected appraisers stays dynamic. New successes coming in, old successes moving out and permanent successes staying in.
Maybe I will ruffle a couple of feathers with this suggestion but progressive all the same.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How about just being rational comparing previous sales keyword history of anyone. Why ask for an appraisal if already see value other than the appreciation of peers.

Last edited:
•••
The domain holder is qualified to price point own domain others don't need to be qualified to guess or bid.

•••
Appraisals are free. That seems like a lot of effort to qualify to give free appraisals.

I could see it if the people making appraisals were compensated in some way, but for free what do you expect?

Maybe there could be some type of "qualified" appraisals section where the appraisers are more qualified.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Not a bad idea in general but the problem is that people who have the experience needed to give great appraisals almost never show up in the threads. And I don't see the point in forcing some members into appraising mostly random domains, while telling volunteers to go screw themselves. Eventually there would be no one left willing to do appraisals.

•••
No need. There is always garbage posted in the appraisal section. Proving how much you sold to tell someone that is silly. Most ignore that section because newbs never want to hear the truth anyways.

•••
I do think this as well- if people want to volunteer to be the appraisers in this section that would be good. Then every thread would get a reply.

•••
Fair idea. For the relatively short period of time I've been here, I'm pretty active in the appraisal section, but been domaining for over a decade (on and off)

Overall, I think the problem lies in people being bothered. Even the guys that can prove sales and track record, the willingness to be in there doing it ...little incentive. The appraisals are free, I don't mind sharing my little input, without charge. I think even if you aren't experienced, there's always a different perspective to be heard. Even those that have done domaining a fair while don't always get it right (I know I don't)

Maybe a paid appraisals thing could be implemented, offering what could be "extra reassurance" regarding a domain estimate, with proven users. I don't know how successful that would be, or how people would feel if they then used that service and then the free service, then give or take, getting a similar estimate (lol). Wasting money, people crying to mods ...tricky

As a further point, if there is something of value in the appraisal section, I do see more members flocking in offering an estimate, a fair amount of the time. As there is often "reg fee / little value" in the appraisal section, the enthusiasm or interest to comment isn't there. The truly good stuff gets attention and a fair estimate, with plenty input, quite often. Whereas, the bad stuff gets little attention / little interest to comment. In some ways, it can be somewhat reassuring, seeing things from that angle

Last edited:
•••
I understand that you are making this suggestion in good faith and totally get your point. But putting some filters would make some sense only if that section was overcrowded. It is already a thankless task, let us don't make it even less appealing.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe Namepros should set a benchmark and give out appraisal permissions to members who have proved a certain amount of sales/per year. Only these members should be then allowed to appraise domains for the given time period.
That way the appraisals have some weight.

Hi

what if i've been buying and selling domains since 2002, but didn't sell any this year.....
am i qualified to appraise or not?

and even if i have had sales this year, why would i have to prove it to NP?

Maybe there could be some type of "qualified" appraisals section where the appraisers are more qualified.

Hi
initially, i think the VIP or Insiders Club, section had that intent.
however, since members can now, "buy their way in", then it's not really VIP anymore.

imo...

Professional Appraisals - NamePros

•••
Be realistic…you are not the first to complain about appraisals

•••
Fair idea. For the relatively short period of time I've been here, I'm pretty active in the appraisal section, but been domaining for over a decade (on and off)

Overall, I think the problem lies in people being bothered. Even the guys that can prove sales and track record, the willingness to be in there doing it ...little incentive. The appraisals are free, I don't mind sharing my little input, without charge. I think even if you aren't experienced, there's always a different perspective to be heard. Even those that have done domaining a fair while don't always get it right (I know I don't)

Maybe a paid appraisals thing could be implemented, offering what could be "extra reassurance" regarding a domain estimate, with proven users. I don't know how successful that would be, or how people would feel if they then used that service and then the free service, then give or take, getting a similar estimate (lol). Wasting money, people crying to mods ...tricky

As a further point, if there is something of value in the appraisal section, I do see more members flocking in offering an estimate, a fair amount of the time. As there is often "reg fee / little value" in the appraisal section, the enthusiasm or interest to comment isn't there. The truly good stuff gets attention and a fair estimate, with plenty input, quite often. Whereas, the bad stuff gets little attention / little interest to comment. In some ways, it can be somewhat reassuring, seeing things from that angle

You are the reason i want to post my domains in appraisal, and will. Your appraisals are thoughtful, not overly-flowery and always well-laid-out write-up. OP, while well-intentioned, does not realize, appraisals have gotten better, wit time, especially from effort from people like you. Favorite part, not afraid to tell the people “?” always agree u,

There needs to be a special feel;

“You let them down slowly, gently.”
(it’s why i applaud dot com, over psuedo ext even if the com is worthless, add positive, to build on. @jhm is my favorite appraisal.

Namepros needs to make special “appraisor badge for people like @jhm, which still wont give us better names, problem is quality,
usually, but there can be healthy disagrees.
Yet to see “toxic” disillusion “vindication with u

@jhm for President, this thread alienates you;
You can better appraiser than ppl w/ sales.. imo @jhm for President, i dont need proof sales. u “appraisals” pass my “common sense”

Samer

Last edited:
•••
You are the reason i want to post my domains in appraisal, and will. Your appraisals are thoughtful, not overly-flowery and always well-laid-out write-up. OP, while well-intentioned, does not realize, appraisals have gotten better, wit time, especially from effort from people like you. Favorite part, not afraid to tell the people “?” always agree u,

There needs to be a special feel;

“You let them down slowly, gently.”
(it’s why i applaud dot com, over psuedo ext even if the com is worthless, add positive, to build on. @jhm is my favorite appraisal.

Namepros needs to make special “appraisor badge for people like @jhm, which still wont give us better names, problem is quality,
usually, but there can be healthy disagrees.
Yet to see “toxic” disillusion “vindication with u

@jhm for President, this thread alienates you;
You can better appraiser than ppl w/ sales.. imo @jhm for President, i dont need proof sales. u “appraisals” pass my “common sense”

Samer

I had to "like" this for the love. N'aw, thanks @Samer

But truly, I don't know how it would work out if only the "proven users" did the appraisals. Boils down to willingness, that I touched upon before. Partly breaks up the community too ...I like hearing what everyone has to say (if its reasonable, thoughtful, relevant ...). Giving people confidence in domaining to speak up, learn, get involved ...healthy mix

Like I mentioned, I tend to find if your domain isn't worthwhile, its probably not going to get commented on (even if you want to know, sadly) ...but at least knowing this, you'll indirectly understand what people think about your domain

Last edited:
•••
If we had a surprise section where people were surprised yes joking at how much people sell domains for it would be overflowing eg iloveafrica 10k. I am not about to go and buy i love every country although you have a price point and congrats on your work. What qualification do you need to go against another's appraisal just need to own it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back