IT.COM

Slodaddy Backorder Fails Again

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HeyNow

MemberRestricted (85-100%)
Impact
Purchased a backorder & monitoring for opine.us at Godaddy.

Name dropped yesterday. I was able to hand-reg it on the first try when I got home from work at night.

Not only did Godaddy fail to pick-up a domain that dropped that was open for reg, but they still have not sent me any of their worthless "monitoring" info saying there's been a change with the domain.

Godaddy is fairly worthless in the drop game.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is impressingly bad even by their standards. I wonder if their back order service is just one of their service reps checking to see if the domains are available each morning.

•••
I wonder if their back order service is just one of their service reps checking to see if the domains are available each morning.

You may be right. Otherwise, what could account for such abysmal performance. I wasted $20 on the backorder. The domain only cost $3.99 to hand-reg.

•••
Hi I used them several times and found they grabbed the domain right at drop time, beating everyone but Snap and Pool.

But what I object to at GD is they don't make clear enough that it may go to auction if others backordered it too, and the auction format is confusing.

You can apply the cost to another backorder but it looks like you have a good claim to getting the $20 refunded.

•••
I never EVER heard of Godaddy backorders beating snap and pool. If that has happened then it was probably a domain already registered at Godaddy. Hence it will never drop and there was no need for godaddy to grab it.

•••
I never EVER heard of Godaddy backorders beating snap and pool.

Neither have I. Godaddy is in third place, which is maybe why the price is 1/3 of the other two.

•••
Godaddy is in third place

You are being too generous to them. If searched enough I could find you 20 different places to backorder domains and they would all beat Godaddy. Here are 8 sites you can try for pending delete backorders:

snapnames.com
namejet.com
pool.com
name.com
intrustdomains.com
global.gabia.com
hexonet.net
premiumdrops.com

•••
I've noticed that if you backorder a domain within 24 hours of it dropping, GoDaddy won't have much of a shot. I've had pretty good luck backordering some decent names through GoDaddy, when I backorder it a couple of days before the drop date. Obviously, these domains were not backordered at Snapnames or Namejet though...

•••
I've noticed that if you backorder a domain within 24 hours of it dropping, GoDaddy won't have much of a shot. I've had pretty good luck backordering some decent names through GoDaddy, when I backorder it a couple of days before the drop date. Obviously, these domains were not backordered at Snapnames or Namejet though...

Well if nobody else had them on backorder.. Then you most likely would not need any backorder at all. So I would not give much for their service.. It basically equals yourself watching to see if the name is available and then registering it yourself.

Something you could achieve pretty easy by using free tools.. Like this one..
http://www.domaintools.com/monitor/

•••
dmyre,

Thanks for the tip. I usually backorder within 24 hours at snap etc.. to keep attention low, but will try to put a few at Godaddy that I don't think will get competition at Snap.

•••
.org only

I've only had luck with Godaddy when the domain that I wanted was a .org. But as noted maybe I could have backordered it myself.

•••
Promo - Thanks for the domain tool. I hadn't used that one yet, but will now. Thanks!!!

•••
I never EVER heard of Godaddy backorders beating snap and pool. If that has happened then it was probably a domain already registered at Godaddy. Hence it will never drop and there was no need for godaddy to grab it.

Question: I have backordered a name thru Godaddy, and it is registered at Godaddy also. It's a dot.com and deletes in a few days. Would any of the other dropcatchers be able to snag it, or since it is regged at Godaddy is it pretty much locked with them?
I was assuming that it would go to me for sure if no one else bids on it, and that if someone bids then the name will go to TDnam auction and I'll be notified. Is that how it works?

- obviously, this is my first time backordering with GD so I'm unfamiliar with exactly how it works. But I love the name so I want the best chance to grab it. Am I doing right, or should I use other dropcatchers as well to try for this name?

Thanks for any tips

:)

•••
Okay, here's another one ...

So after hand-regging opine.us even though I had a Slodaddy Backorder on it, I moved the backorder from opine.us to jackoff.us. I just hand-regged it (jackoff.us) after a long day at work, and many hours after it dropped. Still no notice from Slodaddy about the change, and of course they didn't even bother trying to catch it.

Jeezus, Godaddy sucks bigtime!

•••
So after hand-regging opine.us even though I had a Slodaddy Backorder on it, I moved the backorder from opine.us to jackoff.us. I just hand-regged it (jackoff.us) after a long day at work, and many hours after it dropped. Still no notice from Slodaddy about the change, and of course they didn't even bother trying to catch it.

Jeezus, Godaddy sucks bigtime!

How long ago did you backorder the domain before it dropped?

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Question: I have backordered a name thru Godaddy, and it is registered at Godaddy also. It's a dot.com and deletes in a few days. Would any of the other dropcatchers be able to snag it, or since it is regged at Godaddy is it pretty much locked with them?
I was assuming that it would go to me for sure if no one else bids on it, and that if someone bids then the name will go to TDnam auction and I'll be notified. Is that how it works?

- obviously, this is my first time backordering with GD so I'm unfamiliar with exactly how it works. But I love the name so I want the best chance to grab it. Am I doing right, or should I use other dropcatchers as well to try for this name?

Thanks for any tips

:)

If the domain is in pendingdelete status, GoDaddy will not have any preference in backordering the domain. If you really want the domain, I'd also backorder it at Snapnames and Namejet. One drawback though, is that will give the domain extra exposure to other domainers...

IMO, GoDaddy really only has a chance if it's backordered a couple of days before it drops, assuming no one else has backordered it through Snapnames or Namejet...

•••
How long ago did you backorder the domain before it dropped?

I placed the backorder October 21, and it dropped today (Nov 10).

•••
If the domain is in pendingdelete status, GoDaddy will not have any preference in backordering the domain. If you really want the domain, I'd also backorder it at Snapnames and Namejet. One drawback though, is that will give the domain extra exposure to other domainers...

IMO, GoDaddy really only has a chance if it's backordered a couple of days before it drops, assuming no one else has backordered it through Snapnames or Namejet...

Thank you for the info;
I placed the name on GD backorder 2 days before it entered the pending delete phase. I notice the name shows at Namejet also pending delete, with a minimum $69 price, no bids yet. I may make a bid there at the last moment...

•••

Hi if more than one person backorders it at Godaddy it goes into a private auction, similar to what happens at Snapnames and Pool.

So it won't appear in the public auctions at TDNAM.

•••
Hi if more than one person backorders it at Godaddy it goes into a private auction, similar to what happens at Snapnames and Pool.

So it won't appear in the public auctions at TDNAM.

Thank you; so to clarify:
if more than one person backorders it at GD it goes to GD private auction; if I'm the only one that backorders, then the name will actually delete and Godaddy is then competing with the other dropcatchers to grab it, is that correct?

•••
if more than one person backorders it at GD it goes to GD private auction; if I'm the only one that backorders, then the name will actually delete and Godaddy is then competing with the other dropcatchers to grab it, is that correct?

Not if it is a godaddy domain. Then it will not drop it will just be renewed and transferred into your account once the TDNAM expired domain auction process is finished.

•••

If the domain status is pendingdelete, that is correct. If it's expired, and listed in TDNAM, it is done so exclusively. Anyone can bid on it at GoDaddy, and the high bidder will win it.

•••
Not if it is a godaddy domain. Then it will not drop it will just be renewed and transferred into your account once the TDNAM expired domain auction process is finished.

Does that still apply to a name that is in pending delete phase? I had thought that a pending delete name was no longer controlled by any registrar...
This name I am wanting is in pending delete, set to drop this weekend. I was hoping that it would not actually drop and that GD would either give it to me (if no other backorders) or would send to auction if there were other backoffers.

My main concern is that I didn't want to go thru the hassle of signing up for all the main dropcatchers and placing orders on all of them for this name. Was hoping, since it is a Godaddy name, that I could somehow stick to just GD... still a little unclear.

•••
Pending delete domains will drop, and no regitrar will have exclusive rights to them. If you MUST HAVE the domain, then I'd backorder it everywhere.

•••

promo,
The domain we are talking about is pending delete and it will drop regardless of anything else.

Bannen,
Godaddy has no priority over any other dropcatchers. You better backorder that domain on snapnames, namejet and name.com if you want that domain. You can skip godaddy backorder. They are rubbish anyway.

Last edited:
•••
promo,
The domain we are talking about is pending delete and it will drop regardless of anything else.

Bannen,
Godaddy has no priority over any other dropcatchers. You better backorder that domain on snapnames, namejet and name.com if you want that domain. You can skip godaddy backorder. They are rubbish anyway.

Thank you for your clarification of things here and via PM, crystal clear now :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back