IT.COM

SnapNames - Entered Auction within Deadline, Confirmed Auction in Pending Orders, This Morning No Longer in Auction and Order was Changed to Plain B/O

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
There was an order deadline of 9 pm PST last night for a domain. I completed an order within the deadline. My entry into the auction was then confirmed in my Pending Orders. This morning I decided to check on the status, especially since I did not yet receive the usual email about the auction. When I logged in, the auction was not in My Auctions. The auction order was no longer in my Pending Orders either. Based on the latter I initially thought the domain was no longer in my Pending Orders in any capacity at all (sort by Status), but later I did an A - Z sort and discovered the domain was there, but had been changed from an "auction starting" order to a plain backorder. Without further info, my understanding now is that the auction is still occurring, but my account was booted out of it between last night and this morning despite that I had a confirmed timely order and bid for the auction. I submitted a ticket but I guess they don't do anything with those on the weekends unless I'm mistaken. If the auction is still in progress I guess perhaps it would be scheduled to end on Monday or Tuesday.

Anyone have any insights to share on this? This has never happened before, and I've been doing this for over 20 years now.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Perhaps the domain wasn't caught by Snapnames so it never went into auction? Share the domain and we can check further (You can share via direct message if you prefer)

•••
Perhaps the domain wasn't caught by Snapnames so it never went into auction? Share the domain and we can check further (You can share via direct message if you prefer)
I've been doing this too many decades now to know not to share the domain. :xf.wink: I even still have a domain I got with a $39 first-come first-served one order only "SnapBack" order from when shortly after SnapNames even began and it didn't even have auctions yet over 20 years ago.

It's not a drop or pending delete, but an existing domain sale auction. The seller would either be NetSol itself if it's an expired pre-release sale or a private lister. Based on the nameserver settings, it appears it may be the latter, and not NetSol selling a customer's expired/non-renewed domain, although Newfold Digital also owns the company behind the ns settings.

I put in my bid order within the deadline, there were 30 other bidders after I did, and my order was in my Pending Orders section as a normal "auction starting on January 5" order right beside another "auction starting on" order for another day. I should have received the usual email about the auction and its expected closing date after that. Those who use SnapNames a lot know what I'm talking about. I have about 700 current backorders there and use them all the time.

Last edited:
•••
Okay, it appears to not be a matter for concern anymore now. There is no auction taking place now. It appears that what probably happened was that the registrant waited till the last minute or so during the grace period to pay and renew, so the domain changed from pending auction about to begin last Friday to regular back order because of that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back