NameSilo

sales Someone randomly bought my domain.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WillAK

Impact
Someone recently purchased a very obscure domain from me (in Spanish) which I purchased just over a year ago.

I was contacted by a domain broker from GoDaddy who negotiated a price with me of 2200USD, I thought it was all a big scam when I got the random email using the Whois contact form, considering I only bought the domain as a side project for myself which never happened.

The weird thing is, the domain was automatically renewed the day before I was asked to sell.

Is this normal? Was this person scoping the domain or just one big coincidence? Either way I'm happy, I've never sold a domain before and I've just invested in 45 domains in 2 days!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Someone recently purchased a very obscure domain from me (in Spanish) which I purchased just over a year ago.

I was contacted by a domain broker from GoDaddy who negotiated a price with me of 2200USD, I thought it was all a big scam when I got the random email using the Whois contact form, considering I only bought the domain as a side project for myself which never happened.

The weird thing is, the domain was automatically renewed the day before I was asked to sell.

Is this normal? Was this person scoping the domain or just one big coincidence? Either way I'm happy, I've never sold a domain before and I've just invested in 45 domains in 2 days!
Hi
congrats on the sale
But don’t spend all your profits on new registrations

imo...

•••
But don’t spend all your profits on new registrations
No I haven't. I've probably spent about 300USD on 40+ domains. Got them all listed on Afternic so lets see if anything else happens.

•••
Congrats on the sale. The buyer could have been waiting to see if you let it expire, or it could be a coincidence.

Was the domain registered with someone other than GoDaddy? Usually GoDaddy brokers will email you directly if the domain is registered with them.

•••

Probably. I have sold quite a few names just after renewal.

A lot of end users track expiration dates on domains they are interested in.

Brad

•••
Was the domain registered with someone other than GoDaddy? Usually GoDaddy brokers will email you directly if the domain is registered with them.
Yes it was registered with IONOS with a private registration.

•••
Probably. I have sold quite a few names just after renewal.
I can understand that, I'd definitely wait and see if it expires. Then if it auto-renews then you've no choice but to buy it or wait another year...

•••
now u hope they randomly pay for it

•••
•••
•••
Well, congratulations! Lucky sale :D

As long as the money comes in the bank - don't give much after thoughts to the sales which take place.

•••
•••

Congrats! That's how I got started in 2004 or so. I had about 200-300 domains for business ideas and some for a business we had at the time. I started getting random offers, but because I had an interest in these specific areas, I didn't necessarily want to sell. It got more enjoyable when I branched out to domains in other industries that were in demand, rather than giving up a business idea that I had. Now I have over 6,000 domains.

Just be sure to stick to domains that have a foreseeable commercial value.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats! That's how I got started in 2004 or so. I had about 200-300 domains for business ideas and some for a business we had at the time. A lot of them I didn't want to sell but I started getting random offers. It got more enjoyable when I branched out to other areas that were in demand, that I didn't necessarily have an interest in keeping. Now I have over 6,000 domains.

Just be sure to stick to domains that have a foreseeable commercial value.
That sounds just like a lot of my domains also! I have a load I bought because I wanted to use them but now I am branching out into recently dropped domains.

Couple of questions for you if you don't mind. I'm from the UK so I have interest in .co.uk, do you think there's much interest/value in .co.uk domains?
I managed to catch a couple of domains recently. (One being ' picx.co.uk ', which according to GoDaddy is worth 3770USD). Is it?

I also own 6x 3 letter .io domains worth between 3-4000 each but i'm not convinced :unsure:

•••
That sounds just like a lot of my domains also! I have a load I bought because I wanted to use them but now I am branching out into recently dropped domains.

Couple of questions for you if you don't mind. I'm from the UK so I have interest in .co.uk, do you think there's much interest/value in .co.uk domains?
I managed to catch a couple of domains recently. (One being ' picx.co.uk ', which according to GoDaddy is worth 3770USD). Is it?

I also own 6x 3 letter .io domains worth between 3-4000 each but i'm not convinced :unsure:
I'll let someone else comment on the value of those specific domains as they're not the sort of thing I invest in. However, I would say ALWAYS take valuations with a grain of salt. Never invest based solely on that. I know it's cliche, but a domain is worth what someone will pay for it. Sometimes domains with a $10k valuation never sell, and on the other hand a domain valued at $200 can sell for $50k if that's what you happen to have it listed at and the buyer wants it bad enough (and has the cash to spend). With that said, you can certainly give yourself a better chance of selling by making sure you invest in domains that multiple people are likely to find appealing.

•••

If you live there and can see the trends on how domains are being used, you can use this to your advantage. But I wouldn't go big on .co.uk unless you know what the market is like.

If you look at sales from the last 3 years in NameBio, the only 4 character domains with reported sales are pretty decent 4 character domains. So if you are trying to compete in a non-dotcom market, I'd make sure you are getting names that are not easily attainable as a .com.

I run NameWorth, but I wouldn't go off of any appraisal by itself as my only source when purchasing a domain.

I would create a process where you validate every name you buy. Do some research to see how much the word is being used and how it is being used. Make sure there is commercial value or use to the particular name. I'd try to run an appraisal on it after you already have a value in mind.

Compare everything back to NameBio. Even for the .io domains you mentioned. You can search and see what type of 3 letter .io domains are selling.

1693026155411.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back