IT.COM

strategy Sricky Google analytics question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sharkpower

Established Member
Impact
Today I checked my google analytics account and I have had 5 visitors coming from Google's website abc.xyz

The visitors stayed for 04:42 minutes and generated 1,8 pageviews.

How is this even possible when the abc.xyz website does not contain any links?

I cant solve this mystery on my own so I hope someone else could help me out.
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would say anything coming from google owned sites is google bots.

•••
Ok, can you explain what that is?
And what is the purpose of sending bots?
Is it to recognize my website for inclusion in search results or?

•••
if you have parking crew, go to your Sales tab.. then click "banner clicks" then click intelligence.. and you will see a lot of stuff that says microsoft bingbot, googlebot.. etc..

5464575676.JPG

•••
It's referrer spam - ghost referrer spam to be exact. It's showing up everywhere, apparently being done by a 3rd party, for whatever reason. (Google has no reason to mess with your analytics stats like that.)

•••
Probably the main reason is they spam your website’s Google Analytics account is to get your attention and provoke you to visit the URL in your web browser.

Then when or if you visit the URL you will be redirected to a webpage and well you will be retargeted with ads and whatever else they are hoping for.

•••
So why would they be sending people to abc.xyz (Googles site)?
  • Hoping people naively block it
  • Pissed at Google and having some fun
  • Pissed at Google for not adequately addressing referrer spam in analytics, and making a point
  • Just want to see how it plays out.

•••
•••
BTW you can get rid of most referrer spam by creating a valid hostname filter in analytics.

•••
Today I checked my google analytics account and I have had 5 visitors coming from Google's website abc.xyz

The visitors stayed for 04:42 minutes and generated 1,8 pageviews.

How is this even possible when the abc.xyz website does not contain any links?

I cant solve this mystery on my own so I hope someone else could help me out.
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Thanks

Cannot help you with your question, but look what I'm getting in my analytics account:

upload_2016-11-22_15-10-6.png

•••
Language spam is new but it's the same as referrer spam. They send spoofed information directly to GA without actually visiting your site. And the hostname filter will probably kill that too.
A couple other tricks
- Use tag manager so your GA code doesn't appear in your source
- Use a high-numbered GA property ID. They seem to assume that most are -1 or -2.

Last edited:
•••
Language spam is new but it's the same as referrer spam. They send spoofed information directly to GA without actually visiting your site. And the hostname filter will probably kill that too.
A couple other tricks
- Use tag manager so your GA code doesn't appear in your source
- Use a high-numbered GA property ID. They seem to assume that most are -1 or -2.
Language spam in google analytics results...is that really working?? What a weird and silly advertising means..thanks for the tips, will try to wipe the spam out.

•••
Who knows?? But apparently someone thinks that it does.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back