IT.COM

Successful Redemption Period Renewal (Funds Cleared w/Receipt), Domain Still Auctioned Off (NameSilo)...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vikingrinn

Impact
What would be the next steps if a domain (registered initially in 2002 and renewed yearly since) was renewed successfully with a group of domains held at NameSilo (confirmation receipt received), yet somehow was simultaneously auctioned off (also NameSilo) for a couple hundred dollars and resides now in the hands of a squatter wanting... $20k for the domain? NameSilo support is claiming its out of their hands...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well first off, The exact dates are going to be relevant here.
So exact date of expiry of the domain
exact date of renewal payment.

Is there anything else missing in your course of events. I would have thought Namesilo would have at least explained why it dropped. Such as leaving renewals in your payment basket but then delaying payment. It reads to me that you knew you took it down to the wire on the renewal then didn't check your own account for the renewal being successful

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Post details before accusing people. We have too many threads like this one here.
Godaddy stole my name
Afternic scam me
Etc ….

•••
Upvote 0
To clarify, I am not accusing anyone, NameSilo or even the squatter (domain was transferred within NameSilo), of anything intentionally malicious. I am merely seeking input as to what can be done to remedy this situation.

At the time most of my attention was with a family member's health (mother) and she has since (along now with my father, 3 months apart) passed. I had simply renewed as I do annually (albeit later than usual - thankfully all other registrar sites/domains are ok outside this single instance) and at the time took the email receipt/confirmation received from NameSilo at its face. I was entirely unaware that somehow simultaneously the one (very important personally) domain slipped through their system somewhere and ended up in some NameSilo auction despite the receipt for the successful renewal.

There were 11 names parked with registrar NameSilo which expired December 31, 2022. On January 31, 2023, they were all successfully renewed. Upon annual renewal this year, I noticed the domain name held for 22 years missing and immediately went back and looked at the successful renewal email receipt from last year. Sure enough, it was right there, I hadn't missed it. I immediately contacted NameSilo support via chat, then phone whom escalated the issue to IT, then email back and forth, for which they are now claiming it to ultimately be out of their hands...

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Expired dec31 30 days to renew unless someone makes a bid. That take us to Jan30
I ass/u/me only the one name got bids and all is on the up n up
1.day 2.late
Correct me if I am wrong

•••
Upvote 0
Expired domains at Namesilo go to auction where anyone can bid.
Check your inbox for an email regarding the domain and its auction. If there is one, there is your answer.

It's sad that they follow that practice, however that wouldn't have happened if you had auto-renewal on (assuming that you didn't).

•••
Upvote 0
You should post the domain, else most of such topics are like fairy tales without evidence.
The pros here don't want to discuss fairy tales.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
There were 11 names parked with registrar NameSilo which expired December 31, 2022. On January 31, 2023, they were all successfully renewed.
As always in these cases the OP is being very selective in the original posting, Now He is referencing a renewal made in January 2023 as his last paid renewal. Expiry was nearly three months ago. (renewal due December 2023) And now he feels he has some right to recover this domain.

Absolutely No chance. His sad stories do not affect anything. No point in anybody continuing to reply.

NameSilo clearly complied with their own T&C's regarding Auctions of expired domains , then transferred to the auction winner at the domains deletion date. There' nothing to be learnt here

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
As was asked, I provided exact dates and only added as little personal information as necessary to provide context. Ultimately the facts are all that matter. If you choose callousness and disregard as your 'feels' in life, please, keep it to yourself. I am not a 'professional' who buys and sells domain names, I am seeking insight from the 'professionals' here at NamePros who do, so at worst case whatever went wrong can be fixed to avoid this from happening to myself or anyone else again, not a fait accomplis.

NameSilo's site claims 31 days, which would explain why I had no issue logging into the site and have the receipt from successful renewal at 30 days. A customer should be able to take that receipt at face value.

From what has been pointed out to me in NameSilo's own terms, this successful renewal within the 31 day time frame should have trumped any other activity within their system, yet that mechanism failed...

•••
Upvote 0
Yea whatever. Your right the 31 but not enough info, statute of limitations
15 months ago?
Sorry for posting, I truly am

•••
Upvote 0
First of all, using the word 'squatter' in a domain forum isn't a smart move when you're trying to consult with domainers. Domainers are being accused of being squatters all the time, and most people who use the word don't understand what it means and that in most cases it doesn't apply to their specific case. It really depends on the specific domain, what happened to it and how it's being used. If you didn't renew a domain and someone else got it as a result, unless you're the only entity this domain is relevant for, it's now theirs, fair and square, and they can decide what to do with it, including list it for $20K or any other price.

Anyway, it seems like you let your domain expire on December 31st, 2022 and tried to renew 31 days later. Namesilo says in its expiration policy: "you may lose your domain on the 31st day if it is bid upon via auction". Apparently that's what happened. It went to an expired auction, someone placed a bid on the 31st day and your renewal attempt was too late. The reason is unfortunate, but regardless- you neglected to renew it and left it till the very last second of the grace period which you apparently missed by a day or a few hours. So that's on you. We're now over a year later. As far as I know, unless a trademark is being infringed upon by the current owner (either an actual registered trademark or one that can be established by a simple search showing that the term only has relevance to you and couldn't be of use to anybody else), you're going to have to accept the fact that your negligence caused you to lose the domain.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Thank you SuperBrander for the thoughtful and logical response.

As a layman, so to speak, I meant no offense towards professional domainers - I actually believed that was the proper term to refer to a different sort of opportunist who obtains a domain in such fashion and re-lists it for an exorbitant sum. Akin to a scalper?

My first question would be why was it that no other domain held at that registrar (NameSilo) was auctioned at that time?

My second question would be why was it renewed successfully alongside the other domains, all of which were renewed together within the allotted 31 day time frame of NameSilo?

Basically, if it were as you’ve stated - why was I able to login, renew all of my domains together at this registrar (NameSilo) as usual (including this single domain in question), and receive a receipt for my payment in full for all domains (11) believed secured there?

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
@vikingrinn A squatter is "a person who unlawfully occupies an uninhabited building or unused land". In this case, a digital version of land. The person who has it now bought it at auction after it expired. So there's nothing unlawful about it, unless he's infringing on a trademark. Also, since the domain name isn't mentioned, it's unclear if $20K is a high price for it or not. Had you mentioned the name, it would be possible to assess it, to see if there's inherent value in it or is it something that just has value to you. Regardless, the owner can list it for $5M if he so wishes, as long as he doesn't infringe on a trademark.

As to why NameSilo let you renew it even though it was in auction- you'd have to ask them. It certainly seems to be an edge case, where the domain was renewed as it was being auctioned, exactly on the day their policy specifies you could lose it due to a bid. Search your inbox for all the emails that were sent to you about this domain around that time, so you'll know exactly what communications they sent about the expiration, before, during and after you renewed. Regarding your other domains- they may have not been interesting enough for a domain investor to warrant an initial bid and that could explain why you were able to renew them, while the other domain, that did get a bid, ended up selling. Again, hard to assess without knowing the domains in question.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
My takeaway: Auto-renewal (plus sufficient funds in payment source) on anything you want to hang on to is the way to go.

•••
Upvote 0
My takeaway: Auto-renewal (plus sufficient funds in payment source) on anything you want to hang on to is the way to go.

Better: multi-year renewal and subsequent renewals at least a year ahead. Auto-renewal might not work due to technical reason, empty balance or expired card and the clocks start ticking...

•••
Upvote 0
Better: multi-year renewal and subsequent renewals at least a year ahead. Auto-renewal might not work due to technical reason, empty balance or expired card and the clocks start ticking...
I actually do this for roughly a dozen of my domains. Takes away a good deal of stress/anxiety.

•••
Upvote 0
SuperBrander (again, thank you) has nailed it with timeframe being at the 'edge' and not being any fault by the current domain holder/auction winner (is there a way to modify the thread title to reflect this?), and ICANN's position has steered me towards a direction I wasn't intending; yet as they remind me with receipt in hand within the 31 day timeframe (they have reviewed the emails and exact domain) action needs to begin within Arizona if the registrar is unwillingly to recognize this renewal slipping through the cracks...

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Thank you for the info E. Silvera, sent them a request in hopes they can...

•••
Upvote 0
Renewal Paid Date/Time:
2023-01-31 02:32:23

Auction End Date/Time:
2023-01-31 07:05:10

•••
Upvote 0
Just to make sure @namesilo have been tagged in case they wish to comment here, or to reach out by DM to the original poster.

•••
Upvote 0
The consensus is auto-renew always. The reality is personal private life takes precedence over everything else.

I've been in his shoes. I know business affairs takes a distance second place in that situation.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
I dont use auto renew. Never have, never will. You don’t miss anything do u

•••
Upvote 0
I dont use auto renew. Never have, never will. You don’t miss anything do u
I've already turned off auto renew on multiple domains. I'm speaking in general in regards to the OP. The majority of replies are he was negligent and should have auto renew on.

I see it from the other side. Personal events are more important.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back