Domain Empire

question Using LinkedIn To Sell High End Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anybody tried using LinkedIn to sell high end domains? How was your experience?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Linkedin is a great place to find the right person to contact within an organisation, but I've always then used this information to find their email. I've never contacted anyone directly over Linkedin.

•••
@TheFifty9Sound how do you find an executive's email if you're not directly connected to them through LinkedIn?

•••
I have sold names to people by looking at the "Who's viewed your profile"

•••
@TheFifty9Sound how do you find an executive's email if you're not directly connected to them through LinkedIn?

Usually these are the steps I'll take -

Firstly, look at the whois of the current domain and look up the registrants name on Linkedin. Sometimes you get lucky and the registrant is the person you're looking for. If not, you still might be able to find the email format for their organisation i.e. [email protected], [email protected] etc. If there is privacy, not to worry, we can still find what we need later on.

Then I'll go to Linkedin, look up the company and search until I find the person I want to contact. Once I know their name, I can use the email format I discovered previously to decipher what their email is. For example, if the persons name is Dave Johns, I might now know his email address is [email protected].

If you weren't lucky enough to find the email format in the whois information, there are a few other options.
  1. Go to mailtester.com and try different combinations till you get the right email (some mailservers don't allow verification, so if that's the case, I move onto the next option.)
  2. Try searching for different strings with exact matches on Google e.g "[email protected]" (with the " "). Hopefully you'll get some results from meeting minutes, press releases, articles, interviews etc.
  3. Sometimes those at the very top are protective giving out their email address, so if step two doesn't work, you'll need to search for someone lower in the organisation to find the email format. You can try lower level people within the business (pr & marketing people are great because they put their contact on everything), so repeat step two with these names.
  4. Last resort of just searching for "email @business.com" and hoping you get a hit.
Popular email format combinations to try are - JohnSmith@, John@, JohnS@ JSmith@, J.Smith@, John.S@ John.Smith@

In my experience, the smaller organisations tend to have John@, whilst the larger ones are more likely to use something with a dot such as John.S@

I do this all day, everyday with about a 95% success rate.

•••
Excellent advice @TheFifty9Sound, thank you! I have 2 questions:

1) Who do you usually contact in the company? Personally, my top priorities are usually CEO and CMO.
2) Do you use linkedin as your "go to" website to find the executive ladder, or do you use another source?

•••
Do you mind sharing the details of the process? Do you do outbound by email and then see who viewed your profile, connect with them and try to wrap it up? Or do you simply check out who viewed your profile, make a connection with them and make the deal then?

I have sold names to people by looking at the "Who's viewed your profile"

•••
The steps are as follows

See who has viewed your profile
See what company they work for on LinkedIn (I dont contact them via LinkedIn)
Check their company website to see if they are in the management/Exec team etc
Check the companies email format ([email protected] or [email protected] etc) There are websites that can tell you this
Email them stating you noticed they viewed your LinkedIn profile, and that most people view your profile when looking for new domains, or something like that, you'll need to draft up your own sales pitch for this

Then go from there, a lot of times it just people browsing profiles or looking for something totally different, but on occasions it does pay off

•••
Excellent advice @TheFifty9Sound, thank you! I have 2 questions:

1) Who do you usually contact in the company? Personally, my top priorities are usually CEO and CMO.
2) Do you use linkedin as your "go to" website to find the executive ladder, or do you use another source?

It depends on the name. Sometimes I'll go to the CEO, but sometimes I'll go to the Social Media Manager, Marketing Manager, General Manager etc. Try and work out who is most likely to see the value in the domain, because often that is the key to eventually getting through to the decision maker.

I always use Linkedin, but sometimes you can learn what you need to know from the company website.

I use this systems for my real job. The fact I can use it for domaining is just a happy co-incidence.

•••
See who is the business development manager, often a good place to start

•••
To update on this prospects out-bounding contacting topic,
nowadays since GDPR in act, in the process of contacting personally unknown and in establishing a new email contacts it is defined consent as requirement by GDPR, so it is advisable sending a brief neutral introduction email of further business proposal(of business in interests) that can followup upon business person accepting it in confirmation email.

Last edited:
•••
To update on this prospects out-bounding contacting topic,
nowadays since GDPR in act, in the process of contacting personally unknown and in establishing a new email contacts it is defined consent as requirement by GDPR, so it is advisable sending a brief neutral introduction email of further business proposal(of business in interests) that can followup upon business person accepting it in confirmation email.
thanks for info

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back