IT.COM

discuss .web domain release date and thoughts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainCairn

Established Member
Impact
Anyone know when .Web extension is going to be released for general availability, after the Sunrise phase (TM holders)? I heard it might be sometime this summer by one source and I also heard not until November/December by another source.

I read this might be a solid extension to invest in when it does become available to the general public. With all the new extensions slated for a 2016 release date, do you think this might be the more popular/valuable out of the bunch?

What are your thoughts and opinions for the future of .web?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@kingoftop if you want to be taken seriously, you need to consider stop mentioning .top in your every post.

•••
Whoever ends up owning it will hold back all short and most valuable domains anyways.

We will be left to register leftovers and many will reg "just to get some".

If you can't get the good stuff at a price that makes sense, like a low renewal, don't get anything.

If you do not know what the good stuff is, don't reg at all.

•••
As it stands, my personal favorite new gTLD is .xyz. I'll definitely invest in plenty of .web domains too. I think it's got some great potential.

.top is an ugly extension, and doesn't make much sense to me. Imagine saying, "Check out my website at FirstnameLastname.top." It doesn't even sound like a real website.

•••
The future of this extension depends on the registry that's going to run it. Some registries are experts in how to destroy extensions.

•••
As it stands, my personal favorite new gTLD is .xyz. I'll definitely invest in plenty of .web domains too. I think it's got some great potential.

.top is an ugly extension, and doesn't make much sense to me. Imagine saying, "Check out my website at FirstnameLastname.top." It doesn't even sound like a real website.

If I were to see a .top on someone's business card.. I would think 'this guy is a Chinese spammer.' Period.

•••
Anywho, to the .web optimists, love to hear why you think .web will be useful or advantageous?.

it is almost exactly like .net.

Simple as that. .net was the next best option if you couldn't get the .com. I think .com, .org, country codes are at the top. I think .web would be the best neutral extension out of all these new gtlds. We'll see who gets it and how they price it and not make the mistakes others have in making some extensions, discount extensions, low end type extensions. Regular pricing, steady growth, I think is the better road.

•••
Whoever ends up owning it will hold back all short and most valuable domains anyways.

We will be left to register leftovers and many will reg "just to get some".

If you can't get the good stuff at a price that makes sense, like a low renewal, don't get anything.

If you do not know what the good stuff is, don't reg at all.

This is the bottom line. I used to be excited about .web years ago and what a success it was going to be etc. However, seeing how registries have destroyed many gtld's and certainly to not allow domainers to make ROI with crazy premium pricing and/or renewals I am not interested anymore.

I am almost certain the winner will hold back the best names and price them high so the risk/reward won't be worth it. Newbies will get crushed reging names just to be part of it and will unfortunately lose their shirts. Pretty much any gtld released now is there to make money for the registries and not for the domainer.

If you really like an alternative extension that is established, well regarded and used by end users globally then .net is exactly that. Even .net is struggling for end user sales at decent prices so others have next to no chance.

Can the extension be a success? Yes definitely for the registry.
Can domainers make a calculated risk/reward investment and make ROI buying .web? I'm almost certain the answer will be no in 99.99% of cases.

•••
•••
Are they ever going to release this extension...smh

•••
No official release date at this time.

.web
will do great but it will not overtake .top

•••
It's probably the best generic ngltd extension.

But personally if I was going to start a business on a non-com, I would prefer to use a .net domain rather than a .web domain.

•••
I read this might be a solid extension to invest in when it does become available to the general public.
Less solid than .NET ... for sure -_-

•••
.web is just another .net, not the .com!

•••
Simple as that. .net was the next best option if you couldn't get the .com. I think .com, .org, country codes are at the top. .web would be the best neutral extension out of all these new gtlds.

"
web
is a generic top-level domain that will be awarded by ICANN to one of seven registry applicants.[1] The .web TLD will be in the official root once ICANN awards the registry contract [2] to one of the seven below applicants following an ICANN auction of last resort currently scheduled for July 27th, 2016.

ICANN will keep the proceeds from this auction.

1. Charleston Road Registry Inc. (Google)
  2. Nu Dot Co LLC (Straat)
  3. Web.com Group, Inc.
  4. DotWeb Inc.
  5. Ruby Glen, LLC
  6. Schlund Technologies GmbH (United Internet)
  7. Afilias Domains No. 3 Limited
    "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.web

I know it depends on how much each company is willing to pay, but based on a guess, who do you think will win the auction @JB Lions ??

•••
I hope Google wins.. and they don't restrict any names or make any premium pricing.. and the cost should be the same as .com. Win-win.

There is talk that Google will give away domain names for "free" indefinitely, in exchange for a subscription to Google Adsense or something along those lines.

Instead of being a traditional registry like GoDaddy, they might offer much more competitive prices and use the exposure to promote their profitable ventures like Google Search, Adsense, YouTube, etc.

P.S. I hope Alphabet wins too. They would own the next .net and be involved in the next .com, all at the same time.

•••
ICANN currently has over $100 million in a bank account, segregated from its operating funds, from previous last-resort auctions.

This organization was born as non-profit or not???

•••
Yup ICANN is a "non profit" like the NFL. Some of the biggest BS I've ever heard.

•••
@kingoftop if you want to be taken seriously, you need to consider stop mentioning .top in your every post.
he cant its a virus

•••
United Domains

How Does Pre-Registration Work?
First, domains with new extensions will be available for free, non-binding pre-registration. Pre-registering will ensure you’re updated with your domain’s registration to help you prepare for launch. When your domain’s release date gets close, you will be able to confirm its pre-order. Once you confirm your pre-order, we will submit it for registration automatically on its go-live date, so you don’t have to lift a finger at launch. You will only be charged for pre-ordered domains that are successfully registered and there are no additional fees for pre-ordering, so you face no risk.

Source: https://www.uniteddomains.com/ntld/pre-register-new-domains/

•••
•••
And here we are many years later and still no .WEB.

•••
I'll go out on a limb and say that .web is going to be the most popular and successful new gTLD ever, forever. Let's hope the operators don't do anything stupid to ruin that. The only new gTLD that has a chance of competing with it is .app but not even that is as good.

.top is never going to be popular in the United States. It makes no sense to a native English speaker.

•••
I'll go out on a limb and say that .web is going to be the most popular and successful new gTLD ever, forever. Let's hope the operators don't do anything stupid to ruin that. The only new gTLD that has a chance of competing with it is .app but not even that is as good.

.top is never going to be popular in the United States. It makes no sense to a native English speaker.

United states is not the only measure.

I think .web will presumably have a very euphoric start but it will not top .top in the long run.

.web is universal & generic, .top is universal & generic plus positive appealing in the highest form.
.web sounds 'grey' (bland) while .top sounds 'greyt' (great) ;)

Last edited:
•••
The .web launch should break all know records.

It has a chance to become the second largest TLD within 10 years if launched properly but if it follows the antics of recently launched gTLDs then it will disappoint most endusers and become a poor alternative to the King.

I'm sorry to break the news @kingof.top but it's set to obliterate all other gTLDs except .com, .net and .org in just a few years.

Last edited:
•••
The .web launch should break all know records.

It has a chance to become the second largest TLD within 10 years if launched properly but if it follows the antics of recently launched gTLDs then it will disappoint most endusers and become a poor alternative to the King.

I'm sorry to break the news @kingof.top but it's set to obliterate all other gTLDs except .com, .net and .org in just a few years.

And I am sorry to break the news brake, @doubleU but .top was set to top all TLDs, including .com & all others, equal if they are already released or not.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back