IT.COM

discuss .web domain release date and thoughts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainCairn

Established Member
Impact
Anyone know when .Web extension is going to be released for general availability, after the Sunrise phase (TM holders)? I heard it might be sometime this summer by one source and I also heard not until November/December by another source.

I read this might be a solid extension to invest in when it does become available to the general public. With all the new extensions slated for a 2016 release date, do you think this might be the more popular/valuable out of the bunch?

What are your thoughts and opinions for the future of .web?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No official release date at this time.

.web
will do great but it will not overtake .top

•••
I'll go out on a limb and say that .web is going to be the most popular and successful new gTLD ever, forever. Let's hope the operators don't do anything stupid to ruin that. The only new gTLD that has a chance of competing with it is .app but not even that is as good.

.top is never going to be popular in the United States. It makes no sense to a native English speaker.

•••
I'll go out on a limb and say that .web is going to be the most popular and successful new gTLD ever, forever. Let's hope the operators don't do anything stupid to ruin that. The only new gTLD that has a chance of competing with it is .app but not even that is as good.

.top is never going to be popular in the United States. It makes no sense to a native English speaker.

United states is not the only measure.

I think .web will presumably have a very euphoric start but it will not top .top in the long run.

.web is universal & generic, .top is universal & generic plus positive appealing in the highest form.
.web sounds 'grey' (bland) while .top sounds 'greyt' (great) ;)

Last edited:
•••
The .web launch should break all know records.

It has a chance to become the second largest TLD within 10 years if launched properly but if it follows the antics of recently launched gTLDs then it will disappoint most endusers and become a poor alternative to the King.

I'm sorry to break the news @kingof.top but it's set to obliterate all other gTLDs except .com, .net and .org in just a few years.

Last edited:
•••
The .web launch should break all know records.

It has a chance to become the second largest TLD within 10 years if launched properly but if it follows the antics of recently launched gTLDs then it will disappoint most endusers and become a poor alternative to the King.

I'm sorry to break the news @kingof.top but it's set to obliterate all other gTLDs except .com, .net and .org in just a few years.

And I am sorry to break the news brake, @doubleU but .top was set to top all TLDs, including .com & all others, equal if they are already released or not.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
It's probably the best generic ngltd extension.

But personally if I was going to start a business on a non-com, I would prefer to use a .net domain rather than a .web domain.

•••
Rick Schwartz about .web

"In my mind .web still has the single best chance to shake things up. I think when .web is released you will see more registrations in their first week than whoever holds the number one spot the week before. That's what I see. And even that won't guarantee a success. But if .web were already out, it is my opinion half of the gTLDs would be on life support if they are not already. .web could become the next .com or the next .net. Either position is stronger than all others imo."

"When .web comes out, it may suck ALL the oxygen out of the room to the point where we might see mass casualties and huge consolidation. That could be the end of the party for many. I have a multitude of extensions and still waiting for the second coming."

"The day .Web comes to market (and I am not touting .web, but it is just the Odds on Favorite) is the day you will see pathetic defined. That is an extension we will be counting by the millions and they will LIKELY have more registrations in the first few HOURS than all the gTLD's in the first few MONTHS. Just a FACT waiting to be BORN. Can't see it from here?? Really?? But you can see the value of gTLD's in 10-20 years?? Sorry, that dog won't hunt with me. Don't talk about 10-20 years when some folks doing the talking can't see 10-20 hours, days, weeks or months in front of them."

Last edited:
•••
I read this might be a solid extension to invest in when it does become available to the general public.
Less solid than .NET ... for sure -_-

•••
As it stands, my personal favorite new gTLD is .xyz. I'll definitely invest in plenty of .web domains too. I think it's got some great potential.

.top is an ugly extension, and doesn't make much sense to me. Imagine saying, "Check out my website at FirstnameLastname.top." It doesn't even sound like a real website.

•••
As it stands, my personal favorite new gTLD is .xyz. I'll definitely invest in plenty of .web domains too. I think it's got some great potential.

.top is an ugly extension, and doesn't make much sense to me. Imagine saying, "Check out my website at FirstnameLastname.top." It doesn't even sound like a real website.

If I were to see a .top on someone's business card.. I would think 'this guy is a Chinese spammer.' Period.

•••
If I were to see a .top on someone's business card.. I would think 'this guy is a Chinese spammer.' Period.
Seems to be the only thing it's used for. :laugh:

•••

I can't imagine someone having .top on a business card.

•••
@kingoftop if you want to be taken seriously, you need to consider stop mentioning .top in your every post.

•••
I personally don't think .web is great, but that won't stop me from regging a few :)

•••
Kool-Aide.Top
~
.web stands for something, not just spinning

•••
.web is redundant.. www = world wide web already. might as well use a TLD that adds something useful info

www.web.web!!

even www.web.online is better

•••
www. is what makes an URL recognizable in the first place, not the dot or tld. (I'm talking about general public here ofcourse)

If I were advertising a URL on TV or radio it would certainly include "www." as its most known as the starting of an URL.

saying something like www.coolaid.web is overkill and waste of space for something descriptive such as www.coolaid.store

•••
I really don't understand the push behind .web. Nothing is impossible and a lot of the heavy hitters like Frank Schilling, TheDomains and Rick have predicted a big launch, but for me, it is almost exactly like .net.

1. .net makes me think of the word InterNET
2. .web makes me think of the word WEBsite

What if an actual end-user wants to emphasize their business, religious beliefs, personality or goals more than they'd like to portray the net or world-wide-web?

EXAMPLE:
I was part of a non-profit in 2007 and we registered a .org since we didn't want to be associated with the commercial aspect of a .com. I am sure there are a good amount of 501c3's that use .com's but it didn't appeal to me at the time.

In the way that I wanted to disassociate myself from the commercial aspect of .com, there might be a lot of offline businesses, groups and people that need a website that's more about themselves and less about websites or the world-wide-web. That is why I believe in .XYZ. Other TLDs could work too but Daniel Negari has the marketing skills and is already leading the pack. If any TLD replaces .XYZ as the leading TLD, it should be easy for end-users to disassociate themselves from their extension and focus more on the left side of their domain.

Marketing advice for people who want to target Generations X, Y & Z:
http://xyzuniversity.com/

Book about XYZ:
http://xyzfactor.org/

•••
Great topic.

Hype about .web has been building for years now. I think this may be a key factor
in why, if anything, it may end up getting record registrations. Imagine if we spent 4 years building hype about .gripe/ .red/ .onl, people might actually start believing in it. Actually, no. No amount of promotion could accelerate those.

Anywho, to the .web optimists, love to hear why you think .web will be useful or advantageous? Something more concise than "ooh it's going to break all records, it's the best one" etc. What seperates .web from .net? Or .online? To me, they are redundant extensions, meaning that it's like having a name that says online.internet. My website is on the web.

IMO, .web doesn't have the OOMPH and the brandability of some of the gTLDs out there right now. But the fact that it's pronouncible, looks appealing, 3 letters, and easily associated with anything WWW will be enough to make it a heavy-hitter, and get me onboard for a few names.

•••
.web is just another .net, not the .com!

•••
Anywho, to the .web optimists, love to hear why you think .web will be useful or advantageous?.

it is almost exactly like .net.

Simple as that. .net was the next best option if you couldn't get the .com. I think .com, .org, country codes are at the top. I think .web would be the best neutral extension out of all these new gtlds. We'll see who gets it and how they price it and not make the mistakes others have in making some extensions, discount extensions, low end type extensions. Regular pricing, steady growth, I think is the better road.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back