Domain Empire

poll What do you think about the citytlds

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

will city tlds over take country tlds?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • yes

votes
    17.4%
  • no

votes
    60.9%
  • who the hell knows!

votes
    21.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

The Durfer

Wesley SweatmanTop Member
Impact
Saw all the citytlds and was wondering if anybody was having any luck with them and if they were going to take over the countrytlds, will endusers be attracted locally and ignore their country codes or what?

I like .Moscow, how about you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I like that one too, but do you think it will overtake .co.uk?

•••
•••
I think they will live in parallel both .co.uk and .london :)

•••
yea, I guess its not a race, its just kudos all around. lol.

•••
•••
Looking at European geoTLDs, my impression is that they are more often used by official agencies ie regional employment agencies etc.
You sometimes see the URLs printed on the buses but I don't think they are not popular at all. The ccTLDs are dominant.
For example, the city of Paris enlisted some prominent end users like Tower Eiffel as '.paris pioneers' but in the end we are talking about a hundred of 'trophy' domains and the companies continue to use other domain names like .fr in parallel...
IMO these geoTLDs mainly exist for political reasons and it's a waste of taxpayer money.

•••
vladimirputin.moscow is available :)

•••
Some of them are doing quite well and remarkably sticky in terms of renewals. Others are not. However they are not replacements for the ccTLDs. They effectively are ccTLDs in market size and focus.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
•••
•••
I think they will live in parallel both .co.uk and .london :)
As a Scot I can tell you that there's a hell of a lot more to the UK than London! The UK and London ARE NOT the same thing!!!

•••
I think they're great. I've registered a couple of .london names (I live in London), plus my best .com sales had "london" in them.

There's also .scot which of course is for the country Scotland, as opposed to a city.

•••
I agree @Kate. Many are run by ccTLD registries.

Looking at European geoTLDs, my impression is that they are more often used by official agencies ie regional employment agencies etc.
You sometimes see the URLs printed on the buses but I don't think they are not popular at all. The ccTLDs are dominant.
For example, the city of Paris enlisted some prominent end users like Tower Eiffel as '.paris pioneers' but in the end we are talking about a hundred of 'trophy' domains and the companies continue to use other domain names like .fr in parallel...
IMO these geoTLDs mainly exist for political reasons and it's a waste of taxpayer money.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back