IT.COM

What got us (teens) involved?!?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I first started a few years ago, heavily influenced by my uncle who is a web designer. After that I met a few friends from a previous gaming community and a few of them were into domaining as well. Obviously, the online life took off and has turned into a bunch of experimentation with a few semi-successful projects :hehe:

How did you guys get the ball rolling? (also lets attempt to keep this thread, and other going, this time lol!!!) :tri:

-Alex-

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I don't do domaining, but I'm a Web Designer and PHP Programmer.

I think what first got me going was the chance of earning money, I started small things (that were stupid if I think back) with my mates at high school. My first real success was a Theme Park fan site, I think this was where I first started to like the web industry.

Sean

•••
In 2003 I'd go to the local library with a group of friends from primary school, we all played runescape but I got really bored of it within a few hours, so I started looking for other things to do. I ended up messing around with wanadoo website builder, then in 2005 I finally had access to a computer at my home, so I started playing around with freewebs, ended up making a small games website.

For me it's never been about the money, I hate the idea that a website is for money and nothing else, therefore the only money I make is from selling / freelance, I don't plaster my own websites with shitty adsense blocks. I make my money through building websites for others or selling my own.

•••
In 2003 I'd go to the local library with a group of friends from primary school, we all played runescape but I got really bored of it within a few hours, so I started looking for other things to do. I ended up messing around with wanadoo website builder, then in 2005 I finally had access to a computer at my home, so I started playing around with freewebs, ended up making a small games website.

For me it's never been about the money, I hate the idea that a website is for money and nothing else, therefore the only money I make is from selling / freelance, I don't plaster my own websites with shitty adsense blocks. I make my money through building websites for others or selling my own.

This interesting, cause I semi-started off doing that as well (same game)!

And Sean, I think that was definately it as well—I wanted money :hehe: so that proved to be a big incentive.

•••
Last year around the end of Grade 8 i joined proboards and i saw how they were coding with javascript, to edit the boards. it looked fun to do, i tried to learn html/css, but failed. Now just 5 months ago i started learning again, im 1/4 through a tutorial in javascript. :D My friend told me about namepros.com and how i can get a domain from here using NP$ i didn put much effot in. then another friend was talking about domaining, and i thought it would be fun if i tried with a domain i wasnt using(clanscorpia.com) it's a really bad domain, im probably going to give it away :D

•••
For me it was about 2005 when i first got a website on the internet. It was a piczo.com hosted website. I used piczo for about a year and in 2006 i realized with piczo you didn't have full control over your website. I wanted to explore HTML back then. So i decided to buy my first domain which was torrent related because that was when i first new about torrent sites and trackers. The host which i bought the domain from gave me a couple of months of free trial hosting.

The site was basically an IPB forum which was solely for torrents to be posted. Now to this day i have ventured into the web hosting and domain business. Back in 2005 i never had a clue how web servers, hosting and domains worked. Now i do understand how all the above works. I have learned Linux from mostly an SSH environment.

•••
That reminds me. What really got me started was w3schools.com, thats where I learned all of my basic languages and stuff, I reccomend it for anybody who is still going through that process! =D

I have to though, snoopinc, one of my first websites was a torrent related one as well :p

-Alex-

•••
About 2007 I got interested and I made a proboard for my mum... then I played around with proboards and made a couple of my own. Then I got interested in web dev and started learning coding. Then I found out about Namepros from PBS and now I'm on here doing web design. :D

•••
I started learned HTML and CSS back in 2005 and then bought a domain and built a gaming site in August 2005. I've been buying domains, coding and designing sites, programming, etc. since then. Curiosity of how the internet and computers in general work got me interested.

•••
About one or two months ago I came across it randomly on eBay of all places. Now i sell like 40 or 50 domains a week on ebay and am making money and I'm only 15. Making money was obviously the main motivation and i didnt mind doing it

•••
I've always found computers and networks fascinating, how you can get something from the other side of the world in a minute (and then complain about the speed!). The interest in the web grew from that.

•••
I used to play a ton of MMOs and I though I could make one of these. That got me into coding. Then one thing led to another and I got into web design and web devolpement.

•••
I used to play a ton of MMOs and I though I could make one of these. That got me into coding. Then one thing led to another and I got into web design and web devolpement.

yup, same here. I started out with playing Runescape, joining a gaming community about it, then some of those people got into hacking (along with me).. etc... and now im here =D

•••
yup, same here. I started out with playing Runescape, joining a gaming community about it, then some of those people got into hacking (along with me).. etc... and now im here =D

Ouch, Don't offend Alex, he will hack your Runescape account....lol

only j/king, I used to play Runescape aswell in fact ( a looooooong time ago) and I created a small community, was crap but still a good learning experiance.

Sean

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back