Domain Empire

Whois Reset?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

irl

Established Member
Impact
So, I recently purchased an insanely premium .com domain for reg fee just 2 days ago. I won't give away the name, but it's a domain whose availability I've checked before, and it was already taken.

For some reason, right place right time kind of deal, I just happened to type in the domain name again just to see because, well, you never know. Boy am I glad I typed in this name. It was fucking available!

I almost had a heart attack seeing the availability read "yes". Just to check that I wasn't losing my mind I went straight to the domain's Whois records after my purchase and, apparently, it says that the domain is only 1 day old, meaning I am the first owner. This is impossible. I know for certain it was in the hands of someone else at some point. Do whois records reset when a domain is dropped?

Furthermore, the plural version of the domain is taken, so I'm definitely not going crazy right now, right? I went as far as to check archive.org to ensure my sanity was intact. Archive.org showed that the domain dates as far back as 2003 and was indeed registered already for years, yet Whois is giving me completely different data.

What the hell is going on here and how was this domain not drop-caught???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It’s possible that it was deleted by the owner from there registrar account and it didn’t actually go through the expiration process.

Is it a trademark? Is it a typo? I am just trying to think of reasons it might be available if it is good as you are saying.

Maybe you just lucked out! Best of luck with the name!

•••
Do whois records reset when a domain is dropped?
> They always do. The registration date in WHOIS is the day of the last registration.

•••
It does happen. Now make sure you have all the security on the domain you can possibly have. Many years ago I was fortunate to hand register two domains , singular and plural that should never have been available, by logic. Even went so far as to register at the then $70 at netsol when $10 services were available (thought it would be the safer option) - then stolen out of my account to some Chinese service. I don't know how.

What I do know is no registration really cares if they balls-up - They don't want that on their plate.

•••
•••
Just out of curiosity, have you checked the GoDaddy Appraisal? I know it's not always accurate, but it would be interesting to know. Would you mind posting the amount?

godaddy com/ domain- value- appraisal

•••
I am Reset ;)

As mentioned by @DigiNames it may have been deleted by the owner, before expiring, which I have done before.

Last edited:
•••
Is it a trademark? Is it a typo? I am just trying to think of reasons it might be available if it is good as you are saying.

Maybe you just lucked out! Best of luck with the name!
Not a trademark, I checked. Not a typo either. It's 2 words and 6 characters long. I guess luck was seriously on my side. I'm just baffled nobody grabbed it in time. Also, thank you! I have no plans to sell. I'm gonna put it to good use!

•••
Now make sure you have all the security on the domain you can possibly have. Many years ago I was fortunate to hand register two domains , singular and plural that should never have been available, by logic. Even went so far as to register at the then $70 at netsol when $10 services were available (thought it would be the safer option) - then stolen out of my account to some Chinese service. I don't know how.
These were my exact initial thoughts on the situation. Thanks for elaborating.
Just out of curiosity, have you checked the GoDaddy Appraisal? I know it's not always accurate, but it would be interesting to know. Would you mind posting the amount?
Yeah GD is trash, but it appraised the domain at $18,212.

•••
•••
•••

Trash or no, that does indicate that the domain has some serious value. It’s crazy that you hand registered it.

If I were you I would transfer it out to a different registrar as soon as the lock expires. I am reminded of a person that bought domainname.com (yes this actual domain name) on Network Solutions, had control of it in their account, and later had them take it back saying it was a mistake.

•••
I typically use Domain history checker to get original creation date but it works only back to 2002. For older, web.archive.org usually does the job (although it can be somewhat unreliable if the domain name was not popular enough).

•••

That's absolutely incredible. I can't believe that still happens. Congrats to you. I do agree with the guy who said to transfer it out. I had a domain I couldn't believe slipped through (not that good) and the donuts decided they didn't mean to let it expire, and took it back. Nothing I could do.

•••
If you're going to put the domain to use, what is the point of keeping it secret? Sounds like an anomaly. I don't understand all the secrecy in this industry.

•••
All dropped domains are considered as a new registration, so "whois reset" is a normal thing.

The only situation when there is no redemption and pendingdelete period is that the domain is deleted in the addperiod (i.e. in the first 5 days of the registration).

It is impossible that a domain valued by GD to 18000 go unnoticed during a normal drop.

So the only situation that explains this is that it was dropcatched but the new owner deleted it in a few days from some reason. These "tasted" domains are not listed on expired domains sites so no one knows that it is not registered anymore.

•••
It is impossible that a domain valued by GD to 18000 go unnoticed during a normal drop.

expireddomains.net doesn't show valuations for deleted domain, so it might have.

So the only situation that explains this is that it was dropcatched but the new owner deleted it in a few days from some reason. These "tasted" domains are not listed on expired domains sites so no one knows that it is not registered anymore.

That's a good theory, however what's the probability vs the fact that the domain is just not "insanely premium"? I guess we'll never know. GD valuation is impressive, but other than that there are tens of thousands dropped 2-word-6-letter domains available for registration.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you @irl that the domain is super valuable to you and you're happy to get it - I've had such luck too sometimes. It's just that the domain may have been missed because others just didn't see it as such. BTW are these two words in English?

•••
•••
Yes, what Andreas said. You're talking about historical records. A whois lookup for a domain is based on a current registration date, not what happened before. So the record does reset when it gets deleted and re-registered.

It wasn't caught by a drop-catcher because it wasn't on anyone's radar except yours.. or maybe, for the first time in history you were quicker :xf.grin:

•••
Just thought I would come back to this post and give an update on the situation. I kinda went into developer mode once I made the purchase, so I left NamePros temporarily. Yes, the domain was eventually taken back. And, truthfully, I was expecting this to happen. @BaileyUK you pretty much hit the nail on the head...

•••
Just thought I would come back to this post and give an update on the situation. I kinda went into developer mode once I made the purchase, so I left NamePros temporarily. Yes, the domain was eventually taken back. And, truthfully, I was expecting this to happen. @BaileyUK you pretty much hit the nail on the head...
so I guess .... it was available "by mistake "?

•••
Well that's disappointing to hear. Can you tell us what the domain was now, or is it still a secret for some reason?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back