Domain Empire

Why .ai registration cost is so high?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

QDomains

Restricted (Market)
Impact
I just want to know, what the solid reason of high cost of registration .ai tld?
Meanwhile other famous tld is lower cost of registration like: .com, .xyz, net etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The Solid reason is that it is the Registries choice of business model. Nobody is looking to justify their pricing, whereas they will seek a sustainable and market responsive growth in profit and take-up. The AI extension was able to capitalize on the phenomenal interest in Artificial Intelligence. Registries aren't a public or social service

•••
what the solid reason of high cost of registration .ai tld?
Hi

there is no rationale in registering .ai - except for hope of future profitable resell.

when you consider the fee that is almost 6 X's the cost of .com
means you could register 6 .com for every 1 .ai registration.

at that rate, you better have big budget and/or be damn good at picking and choosing which names to add to the pile.

renewal times will tell the story though,
as expenses get calculated and "spec--u-laters" start pondering which names to keep or drop.
:)

imo...

•••
•••
"Why .ai registration cost is so high?"
Domainer FOMO. They'll pay it, so why not?

•••
"Why .ai registration cost is so high?"
Domainer FOMO. They'll pay it, so why not?
But i can buy 5 .com domains or may be one decent domain.

•••
Hi

there is no rationale in registering .ai - except for hope of future profitable resell.

when you consider the fee that is almost 6 X's the cost of .com
means you could register 6 .com for every 1 .ai registration.

at that rate, you better have big budget and/or be damn good at picking and choosing which names to add to the pile.

renewal times will tell the story though,
as expenses get calculated and "spec--u-laters" start pondering which names to keep or drop.
:)

imo...
Exactly...
I was planning to spend $500 on .ai later i changed my plan... i have now purchased 25 decent .com domains in same budget.

•••
Because .AI is CC Tld. Like .co (Colombia), .io (British Indian Ocean Territory), .Am (Armenia), .FM (Federated States of Micronesia), .AI is from Anguilla, a British overseas territory in Caribbean. CC Tlds are ruled under their own country's rule, most countries don't intent their CC Tld to be used for foreign user's, so high price is one instrument to limit the use.

Last edited:
•••
I bet they feel like they've hit the jackpot with that extension at the moment

•••
•••
Exactly...
I was planning to spend $500 on .ai later i changed my plan... i have now purchased 25 decent .com domains in same budget.
No one really cares who you lay in bed with

•••
It is possible that .COM registering in the future will cost several hundred

•••
The terms that have demand in .AI are the terms that have demand in most secondary extensions.

It's mainly short branding terms.

I imagine because of the hype and high carrying costs, there are going to be a lot of drops going forward.

There is a lot of garbage being registered at the moment mainly due to FOMO.

Almost all the good terms had already been registered for years.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The terms that have demand in .AI are the terms that have demand in most secondary extensions.

It's mainly short branding terms.

I imagine because of the hype and high carrying costs, there are going to be a lot of drops going forward.

There is a lot of garbage being registered at the moment mainly due to FOMO.

Almost all the good terms had already been registered for years.

Brad
This... and only those names are selling in 5 to 6fig that's why huge registrations.

Only few hand register in .ai, sold in low to mid 5fig recently.

•••
I bet they feel like they've hit the jackpot with that extension at the moment
Indeed. I read that about one-third of the entire GDP of Antigua is now from .ai domain sales and registrations. The 2023 total was $28.4 million according to a recent story. With just under 16,000 inhabitants, works out to almost $1800 per person (source).
-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Indeed. I read that about one-third of the entire GDP of Antigua is now from .ai domain sales and registrations. The 2023 total was $28.4 million according to a recent story. With just under 16,000 inhabitants, works out to almost $1800 per person (source).
-Bob
Anguilla*

•••
Anguilla*
Thanks for the correction.👏
I am so :-$ (outside edit window, so can't hide my mistake! 😥)
I need a Caribbean vacation 🌴to learn the geography.
-Bob

•••
-Bob
I was there a couple of weeks ago. The weather was nice 😁. I was surprised at first that I hadn't noticed their extension was .ai... Then I realised it wasn't.

•••
Bcoz they know that We domainers are ready to throw money on every new technology. for example people registered hundreds of domains during Crypto boom, and yes Registries definitely make money during that boom, but this time they come up with new price range, and again they will success.

•••
Indeed. I read that about one-third of the entire GDP of Antigua is now from .ai domain sales and registrations.

Wow, it's going to be dark days for Anguilla when the AI fad cools down (and it will) as everyone is currently living high on the hog and have adjusted their budgets and lifestyles accordingly.

One-third of GDP from domain registrations is insane.

•••
•••
a loaf of bread 5 bucks ...as a buble grows its an empty bubble

•••
7 Euros
-Bob
Paid by me to me

Welcome

•••
Because AI is something very rare(core of AI), and expensive. AI should rule everything.

•••
The clever part is they get you to register for 2 years up front, so not only is a lot garbage getting registered.....but a lot of people are paying twice the price for the privilege......

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back