IT.COM

discuss Why Chinese Have Not Adopted IDN.IDN?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JayT

Restricted (85-100%)
Impact
This is just a lot of speculation. I know few facts so take this all with a grain of salt. I just want to express my opinion and get your feedback so perhaps we can dig deeper or debate.

Lending ideological meaning to numbers has existed for a long time in China. Chinese started to communicate with numbers in a more broad way only because of the internet. They had few options because the internet was centered around English text. Pinyin domains are popular too. We've seen the adoption of some pinyin domains, but pinyin is less natural to Chinese than the numbers! Pinyin only exists as a bridge to English. It is difficult to understand pinyin extensively as it's practically a second language.

Chinese websites are displayed with their own script, not numbers or pinyin. IDN.COM has been available for some time, but there is a critical flaw: IDN.COM is ugly and annoying to type in! Imagine having to switch your keyboard layout while typing in a domain! It might seem like a trivial task, but I do believe combining the Chinese and English characters is not ideal considering the '1234.com' alternative. IDN.COM was not only ugly, but demeaning to a prideful Chinese. Numbers have been a clever way to express their language in simple terms. Most Chinese can easily understand the number = sound relationship - it is quick and easy way to express vague meanings. The practice of using numbers for so long doesn't mean it is here to stay. It is almost like a big fad that hasn't died yet.

Every major US brand marketed in China is tailored to fit the Chinese culture. China doesn't easily adapt to outside influence, they are a culturally proud people. IDN conveys a connection to all Chinese people in a complete, exacting, and professional way. ALL of them understand Mandarin! If you want to market yourself to all of China in a familiar and precise way, why not Mandarin script? IDN.IDN can convey a much higher level of precision and professionalism with just 2 or 3 Mandarin characters.

The fact remains, IDN.IDN has been here for awhile now and has hardly become adopted. The newer IDN.IDN seems like a small change to what was available before, but maybe all that is necessary for a near-future IDN migration. I could be all wrong, but domaining is just speculating anyways!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have high hope for Chinese IDN.IDN because it matches our daily habit of remembering company names by their Chinese characters. The only issue is which extension will win. My Feb 21 post talks about it and my favorite extension is .公司, e.g. 百度.公司 (Baidu company) or 騰訊.公司 (Tencent company).

•••
I have high hope for Chinese IDN.IDN because it matches our daily habit of remembering company names by their Chinese characters. The only issue is which extension will win. My Feb 21 post talks about it and my favorite extension is .公司, e.g. 百度.公司 (Baidu company) or 騰訊.公司 (Tencent company).

For anyone that wants to see available and upcoming Chinese IDN, 101 has a nice list. I have studied the list extensively for months now, there's a lot I could say...simply, there are a lot losers in there. I agree with @Kassey Lee that .公司 is a front runner. I don't think there will be a 'best', but 'a few best'. I think .网络 (Network, correct me if I'm wrong!) Has just as much potential for value in regards to domains that fit the 'network' niche. I also think that our English .nets and .orgs will appreciate greatly as long as the word fits the extension best.

•••
I can see why .company will be a good fit but what about this video interview over a domainsherpa.com?

http://www.domainsherpa.com/simon-cousins-tldregistry-interview/

so is this video outdated now with the info in this fast paced industry? is .公司 beating or going to beat .china or .chinese website or .chinese online in chinese idn?

•••
I think so. .公司 projects a higher level of professionalism.

•••
damnit! and what's yours and anyone else's thoughts on that Simon Cousins interview?

•••
@Avtar629 .中国 (.china) might not be so bad! You can make lots work if you put the right word with the extension. I wouldn't invest in .在线 (.online) or .中文网 (.website) though.

•••
yea well the creators of .CN created .中国 that's what I thought too. but that Simon Cousins video seems to indicate that when Chinese people use the internet to look for things 9 times outta 10 they will do this:

say they were looking for Books. so of course they will look for a website selling books preferably chinese. What the video said was that the come combinations for something like this would be "Book Chinese Website or Book Chinese Online" They did some study supposedly and that's what their data indicated supposedly so that's why

book.在线 and book..中文网 would be winners because when you type these even to Google translate? Google will translate in English MINUS the DOT so it really ends up being Book Chinese website or Book Chinese online which is exactly what chinese people will normally type in Baidu.

•••
yea well the creators of .CN created .中国 that's what I thought too. but that Simon Cousins video seems to indicate that when Chinese people use the internet to look for things 9 times outta 10 they will do this:

say they were looking for Books. so of course they will look for a website selling books preferably chinese. What the video said was that the come combinations for something like this would be "Book Chinese Website or Book Chinese Online" They did some study supposedly and that's what their data indicated supposedly so that's why

book.在线 and book..中文网 would be winners because when you type these even to Google translate? Google will translate in English MINUS the DOT so it really ends up being Book Chinese website or Book Chinese online which is exactly what chinese people will normally type in Baidu.

I don't think they are typing "book 中文网" into Google/Baidu. They are searching with either English, Pinyin or IDN, not a mixture. The question is, what do Chinese type into Google/Baidu when they want to search for 'book'? Is it "book", "shu", or 书 (书 = book)

•••
I don't think they are typing "book 中文网" into Google/Baidu. They are searching with either English, Pinyin or IDN, not a mixture. The question is, what do Chinese type into Google/Baidu when they want to search for 'book'? Is it "book", "shu", or 书 (书 = book)
Kinda old thread but BUMP

Can someone in China answer this: How do people typically search for things on the internet in China?

•••
Kinda old thread but BUMP

Can someone in China answer this: How do people typically search for things on the internet in China?

Just remember they do have the .com button now so Chinese characters + .Com button .seems easy enough. Yes or no?

•••
Just remember they do have the .com button now so Chinese characters + .Com button .seems easy enough. Yes or no?

I use that button on my tablet

So are you saying, because they use the (.com) button on their mobile, the .IDN will not catch on?

Are there any stats on the Chinese (.IDNs)? Can anyone here that's IN China tell us if these .IDNs are used often? Do people typically know about these? (I don't know how new these are. Must Google...)

Last edited:
•••
From what I was told by brokers over at guts and 4.cn it's going to take a long while before .Idns will take

Any sale of .Idns is all hype from Western "experts" who want to sell their .idn's

The "selling" point for .Idn's is just like with every new extension the ability to get CHOICE keywords that in King would fetch big money and has proven so with historical sales.

That's all.

Frank Schilling's was reported to have dumped millions of new gtlds and ctlds

I wonder how many were .Idns?

•••
From what I was told by brokers over at guts and 4.cn it's going to take a long while before .Idns will take

Any sale of .Idns is all hype from Western "experts" who want to sell their .idn's

Well, maybe if I can get a hold of premium keyword.IDNs I will reg (depending on renewal costs though!)

Frank Schilling's was reported to have dumped millions of new gtlds and ctlds
I wonder how many were .Idns?

I wonder if there's a way to actually SEE this list. :peeking:

•••
Well, maybe if I can get a hold of premium keyword.IDNs I will reg (depending on renewal costs though!)

I wonder if there's a way to actually SEE this list. :peeking:

Sure they ended up on expired domain lists.

By the way?

4.cn does not even allow you to sell .Idn domains on their site just make offer. No .Idn auction

For that you have to go to Ename. And that's a huge hassle as you need to have a China phone number just to sign up.

•••
4.cn does not even allow you to sell .Idn domains on their site just make offer. No .Idn auction

I checked out 4.n yesterday and I got scared off of it. I know it's a Chinese market but trying to navigate the site wasn't very intuitive to me. I'm afraid I'll do something wrong or misunderstand something.
You're brave.

•••
For that you have to go to Ename. And that's a huge hassle as you need to have a China phone number just to sign up.

You mean to register a Chinese .IDN?

I did think certain country TLDs required identification papers (for THAT country? Or US citizens are okay?)

•••
I checked out 4.n yesterday and I got scared off of it. I know it's a Chinese market but trying to navigate the site wasn't very intuitive to me. I'm afraid I'll do something wrong or misunderstand something.
You're brave.

Their support is pretty helpful though.fyi I don't speak or read Chinese .

You should shoot them an email.

Their best deal is their $149 a year start unlimited bin or make offer listings showcase .

Start auctions are $49 each
More than GoDaddy but cheaper than sedo.

The translations I admit is hard but just click the American flag upper right hand corner to convert.

Granted it's not a perfect translation.

But close enough and their support reply in English perfectly .

•••
@Avtar629
Thanks for your help.

I may sign up to 4.cn once I have enough domains that the Chinese market might be interested in.

•••
@Avtar629
Thanks for your help.

I may sign up to 4.cn once I have enough domains that the Chinese market might be interested in.
Stick to numerics

Idea buy some cheap numerics here then list on 4cn

Price high

Not to sell but to hopefully redirect to your LIVE Auctions that you want Chinese eyes on.

Seems as though Chinese love to "power search" on 4cn. And look for only high priced domains or ones with the most views .

•••
Stick to numerics

Idea buy some cheap numerics here then list on 4cn

Up to how many numbers max would you suggest? 5? 6?
I see a TON of numerics on drop lists that I could possibly get a hold of to try this methos you mentioned. Typically I've seen NNNNN+ (.coms)
I also noticed a lot of them have 0s... I thought the Chinese don't like 4s and 0s :?:

•••
Up to how many numbers max would you suggest? 5? 6?
I see a TON of numerics on drop lists that I could possibly get a hold of to try this methos you mentioned. Typically I've seen NNNNN+ (.coms)
I also noticed a lot of them have 0s... I thought the Chinese don't like 4s and 0s :?:

Theoretically they don't and remember Chinese on 4.cn love to "power search"?

Well 4.cn has a button that filters for numerics with no 0 or 4

How bout that?

But if you ask kassey Lee on here he will tell you

4 is actually great if preceded by 5 or next to 8

And 0 means win

Placement with these numbers is key.

With 4 if it is preceded by 5/8 (54,84) or next to 8 like 48.

84- lucky in the end
48- end up lucky
54 - always finish

Lol

As for 0 I forget if it's best in front or at thee end.

Just use Namebio to check and check whois see if Chinese owns it.

You'll be surprised how many are owned by Chinese

Use domainers

And find out most are owned by Chinese whales who own hundreds of these. Theoretically you can assume they know what's up with these numerics with 4&0.

GL

Of course 4 can't be that bad as 4.cn uses 4 and millions have no issues using it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back