Domain Empire

question Why is number in .cc so popular among Chinese people?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Andreas B.

Top Member
Impact
Hi,

so lately there was that report that 099.cc has sold for $42,500.

Does anyone here know, why .cc domains (number domains) are so popular among chinese people?!

Is it, because .cc resembles of China?!

But there is only one c in China...

Thus my question.

Thanks for any answer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The question is why is numbers popular with Chinese?

Last edited:
•••
The question is why is numbers popular with Chinese?
bc they are phonetically similar to syllables (if you can call it such) in the chinese language. A 3-digit number can sound like a whole sentence in Chinese. I don't have examples for you right now but if you search you'll see what I mean.

•••
bc they are phonetically similar to syllables (if you can call it such) in the chinese language. A 3-digit number can sound like a whole sentence in Chinese. I don't have examples for you right now but if you search you'll see what I mean.
Can you guess why .cc is so popular in combination with numbers?!

Because of the c = china (?)

I know, that there is qq.com, one of the most popular sites there.

•••
@Andreas B. ,
I don't know, sorry. I would have answered earlier if I knew.

•••
Chinese people don't often use the Latin alphabet or speak English, so it's hard for them to memorize English words.

In this sense repeated letters like .cc or qqq.com can be very helpful when it comes to memorization because you technically only have to remember one symbol.

To put it in perspective: 乞乞乞 is going to be easier for a non-English speakers to remember than 乞讨猫 (means: begging cat), even though the former has no meaning whereas the latter does.

They do however use Arabic numbers (0 - 9) so those are easier for them to remember. And like @Hypersot said, numbers in Chinese have similar phonetics to some Han characters and therefore can be used to string together words. In English this would be something like "2 cool 4 school m8," but Chinese is a lot more flexible and you can construct words and phrases with only numbers.

•••
.cc is popular for Chinese people, so NNN.cc is very high demanded in Chinese domain market. Other extensions popular for Chinese are .win and .top, but .cn, .com and .cc are the most delighted extensions for Chinese

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back