Dynadot

question-answered Why Numeric domains have value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SauravG

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
I have never seen any website that develop on numeric domain.

I regularly watch👀 godaddy auctions, noticed numeric domains like 23838 3838 selling in huge prices and buyer placing bids like it's a jackpot.

Why these numbers domains selling in huge dollars💰, is there any secret?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Maybe but also just to stored money. It can be white white but across country

•••
You mean, black money into white money?
Hi

there is no such thing as black money or white money.
if you're referring to, or implying money laundering may be involved, then say that.

those bids you see are based on speculation, that the buyer can resell them for profit in the future.

imo...

•••
Hi

there is no such thing as black money or white money.
if you're referring to, or implying money laundering may be involved, then say that.

those bids you see are based on speculation, that the buyer can resell them for profit in the future.

imo...
there is no real uses, just like a store of value, due to limited supply?

•••
•••
there is no real uses, just like a store of value, due to limited supply?
1688.com is used by Alibaba . So there are real uses for commercial sites.

As you mentioned, there is potential store of value due to limited supply. (as is true with many short domains)

There is a lot of cultural significance with numbers in China. If you search and poke around here, you'll find lots of details in these forums.

Even without a visible website, memorable numeric domains can be used for things like e-mail, dynamic DNS, etc.

Last edited:
•••
Numeric domains represent an entire "hidden" language rooted in Chinese culture.

Each number has an assigned meaning based on how it sounds. For example, the number 8 (bā) is considered very lucky because it sounds like the word for wealth (fā) in Chinese, while the number 4 (sì) is considered unlucky because it sounds like the word for death (sǐ).

Number combinations can be translated into entire phrases and sentences based on how they sound:

-> 168 sounds like "Fortune all the way"

-> 448 sounds like "wealthy on death"

-> 518 sounds like "I am going to prosper"

-> 520 sounds like "I love you"

-> 548 in Cantonese sounds like "No need to be wealthy"

-> 1314 sounds like "one life one lifetime"

-> 7414 sounds like "go to die"

-> 5201314 sounds like "I love you a lifetime"

•••
1688.com is used by Alibaba . So there are real uses for commercial sites.
Fun fact: 1688 (yi liu ba ba) sounds like Alibaba.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back