Afternic experiment of February 2024

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

With the overwhelming response for the Afternic experiment of last month, I’ve decided to continue and see how it goes.

I’ve been working hard for the last several years mainly in order to get rid of inconsistency in sales but I realized that I cannot completely get rid of it. However, I can work on reducing it as much as I can. And for this I believe to increase both number of domains along with quality of domains.

Like I mentioned about inconsistency, the first sale for this month happened on 7th February. I’m sure some investors would think that a week of gap is nothing unusual but not to me. In my last month post, I shared that “I’ve invested in 7 figures (USD) for acquiring and holding those 9,200 domains. Also just the renewal cost is approximately $100,000 annually.” Considering this only, I need to have a good amount and number of sales every month to keep things moving smoothly.

Coming back to the first sale of February, it was a complete blast and the best one of the month:

GoWash.com – This one had a BIN of $50,000. The opening offer was $30,000 but the Afternic broker negotiated and brought the buyer to $40,000. All credit goes to the broker and my AN rep Adam Ramsdell in making this sale happen for that price. Very professionally and smoothly handled sale. Hold time around 4 years.

BeAHero.org – Sold for $4,888 via AN BIN. I’ve had a very little success with .org domains but I still like to keep buying sensible .org domains. The most I love to invest is 3L .org domains. Hold time around 4 years.

SpeedFloor.com – Acquired 4 years ago for low-mid 3 figures. This one was a negotiated sale at $4,300 and I think the BIN was $4,888.

FireBirdMusic.com – This domain hold time was 1 year and had a BIN of $2,988. The broker negotiated and it sold for $2,500.

5Hearts.com – Acquired via GoDaddy Auctions 5 years back and the buyer hit the BIN at $2,988 via GD shopping cart.

BeaconConstruction.com – Another domain acquired 5 years back and the buyer hit the BIN at $6,888 via GD shopping cart.

Blacom.com – Another GD shopping cart BIN sale for $4,888. Acquired this one almost 5 years ago.

Ciircle.com – A letter less or an addition in a strong keyword are always good to invest in. The buyer hit the BIN at $3,988 via GD shopping cart. By the way, since January 2020, I’m having easily more than 50% sales via GD search path.

EntrepreneurAdvisors.com – Another GoDaddy search path BIN sale for $2,988. Total hold time was a little less than 4 years.

VeaGroup.com – I love this sale because the ROI is fantastic. Acquired via DropCatch almost 5 years back uncontested at normal backorder price. The BIN was $19,888. The broker did a fantastic job making the buyer agree at $18,000.

MedList.com – This sale came via GoDaddy’s reseller partner registrar and it sold at the BIN price of $19,888.

PoolMagic.com – Hold time 4 years and buyer hit the BIN at $3,988.

SophieDavies.com – As always two word person names are in demand but you’ve to carefully check which ones to invest in and price it reasonably. This one sold for $1,988.

BaranTech.com – The last sale of the last month was a negotiated one which sold it for $2,500. It had a BIN of $2,988.

So a total of 14 sales excluding a couple of more sales happened via Afternic but I won’t mention it because once again my sons sold those domains.

The number of inquiries for February was slightly less than 1,700 and the total number of domains at the end of February 2024 were a little more than 9,200.

Total acquisition + holding costs was around $3,500 and total amount of sales was $119,792.

Feel free to share your sales and give your feedback on mine if you like to. It doesn’t matter how good or good the feedback is :xf.wink:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Fantastic. Some nice names in there and well priced.

•••
•••
So you've covered the years running costs (renewals) in one month? Smashing it! Happy for you.

•••
Congrats @AbdulBasit.com on your amazing sales in February 2024 and thanks for sharing! (y)

•••
@AbdulBasit.com - Very nice. Congrats! I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them...

1. You mentioned that a couple of sales had BIN prices but the broker negotiated with the buyer to make the sale. How does happen? I thought the brokers only negotiated on the "Contact us for price" names, not on the BIN names. Can you please expand on that?

2. When setting up pricing within the Afternic admin panel, do you include a Minimum Price AND a Floor Price? Or do you only include a Minimum Price and leave the Floor Price blank? Or something else?

Thanks very much!

•••
•••
•••
One more question for @AbdulBasit.com ...
You mentioned that one sale came from GoDaddy search path BIN and another sale came via GoDaddy’s reseller partner registrar. How do you know this? Are we able to see that info somewhere? Thanks again!

•••
•••
You mentioned that one sale came from GoDaddy search path BIN and another sale came via GoDaddy’s reseller partner registrar. How do you know this? Are we able to see that info somewhere? Thanks again!
You need to check WHOIS. If the registrar is GoDaddy, then the domain was sold via GD Search.

•••
AbdulBasit, thank you very much for sharing brother.
And yes, your broker doing a great job.

•••
@AbdulBasit.com - Very nice. Congrats! I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them...

1. You mentioned that a couple of sales had BIN prices but the broker negotiated with the buyer to make the sale. How does happen? I thought the brokers only negotiated on the "Contact us for price" names, not on the BIN names. Can you please expand on that?

2. When setting up pricing within the Afternic admin panel, do you include a Minimum Price AND a Floor Price? Or do you only include a Minimum Price and leave the Floor Price blank? Or something else?

Thanks very much!

Thank you Dane!

1) @Jannes already clarified in this regard. Thank you Jannes 🤗

2) I always add minimum price and floor price. My minimum and floor price remains the same until $6,888 pricing. As the price increases, I keep some flexibility between both prices.

•••

That's a good question.
My Afternic rep sends me monthly report which shows the sale happened via GoDaddy search path, price request lander or the partner registrars way.

•••
You need to check WHOIS. If the registrar is GoDaddy, then the domain was sold via GD Search.

Yeah, right. But this gives you not the complete information. A sale can happen via lander and still be transferred to GoDaddy registrar so in conclusion, this cannot be considered the sale happened via GoDaddy search path. The report I receive is accurate.

•••
Thanks for sharing Abdulbasit. Very good start for the year indeed, congrats 🎉 Fingers crossed the market is back after a slower 2023. Personally I also have the best start of the year in terms of sales since I started domaining years back, so let´s see how it goes. 🤞

•••
Thanks for sharing Abdulbasit. Very good start for the year indeed, congrats 🎉 Fingers crossed the market is back after a slower 2023. Personally I also have the best start of the year in terms of sales since I started domaining years back, so let´s see how it goes. 🤞
Thanks for the kind words and sharing your experience.
Yeah, I agree that 2023 was slow and so far this year has been going good.
Best wishes!

•••
Congrats on the sales! and thank you for sharing this valuable information.

I have a question please
is this how the process goes when setting a BIN+Request price lander at AN ? :

a client comes to the lander and requests the price, AN broker responds with the BIN you set, from there the client have the option to just go away, accept the BIN and pay it, or make an offer. After he makes an offer AN broker tries to negotiate and get him as close as possible to the BIN, if the client's last offer is at or above the floor price AN broker closes the deal, if his last offer is below the floor price but above the min.offer you set then AN broker asks you whether you want to accept the offer or not, if the last offer is below the min.offer you set AN broker just denies the offer and don't even ask you.

is this how the process goes? please correct me if any of this is wrong.

•••
Congrats on the sales! and thank you for sharing this valuable information.

I have a question please
is this how the process goes when setting a BIN+Request price lander at AN ? :

a client comes to the lander and requests the price, AN broker responds with the BIN you set, from there the client have the option to just go away, accept the BIN and pay it, or make an offer. After he makes an offer AN broker tries to negotiate and get him as close as possible to the BIN, if the client's last offer is at or above the floor price AN broker closes the deal, if his last offer is below the floor price but above the min.offer you set then AN broker asks you whether you want to accept the offer or not, if the last offer is below the min.offer you set AN broker just denies the offer and don't even ask you.

is this how the process goes? please correct me if any of this is wrong.

Thank you!

My lander is price request only and not BIN + PR.

About the process you've mentioned, I believe it goes the same way and that's how it works.

•••
Thank you! Wish you the best of luck.

•••
We should learn from Abdul a lot because he is the leading domain seller in the industry and here on NP.

I am already a follower of his blog!

For the learning purpose, I want to ask him one question, which is related to the name he acquires. What main factors do you consider for acquiring a name? And, how do you price a name?

Thanks

•••
We should learn from Abdul a lot because he is the leading domain seller in the industry and here on NP.

I am already a follower of his blog!

For the learning purpose, I want to ask him one question, which is related to the name he acquires. What main factors do you consider for acquiring a name? And, how do you price a name?

Thanks
Thank you Alex!

You may want to check this https://www.abdulbasit.com/domain-monetization/how-do-i-valuate-domains-and-set-an-asking-price in regards to pricing the domains.

And I always consider at least a few existing potential endusers before acquiring a domain.

•••
•••
Hi, Abdul!
I read all ypur posts with plesure.
Tell me please holding costs includes renewal fees?
I tnink no couse You have around 9000 domains and all renewal will be $90,000 for year or 7500 for month in average. Or You have only 300-350 expired domains in March? Sorry for silly ask

•••
Hi, Abdul!
I read all ypur posts with plesure.
Tell me please holding costs includes renewal fees?
I tnink no couse You have around 9000 domains and all renewal will be $90,000 for year or 7500 for month in average. Or You have only 300-350 expired domains in March? Sorry for silly ask
Hi,
Thank you so much!
Never think it's silly to ask a question. That's one way learning anything by asking.

To answer your question, 92% of my domains are .com and the remaining consists of .net/.org/.co/.cc and a few other extensions whose renewal is higher than the .com which altogether makes yearly renewal of about $115,000‐$120,000 with the current portfolio of 9,300+ domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back