Afternic experiment of February 2024

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

With the overwhelming response for the Afternic experiment of last month, I’ve decided to continue and see how it goes.

I’ve been working hard for the last several years mainly in order to get rid of inconsistency in sales but I realized that I cannot completely get rid of it. However, I can work on reducing it as much as I can. And for this I believe to increase both number of domains along with quality of domains.

Like I mentioned about inconsistency, the first sale for this month happened on 7th February. I’m sure some investors would think that a week of gap is nothing unusual but not to me. In my last month post, I shared that “I’ve invested in 7 figures (USD) for acquiring and holding those 9,200 domains. Also just the renewal cost is approximately $100,000 annually.” Considering this only, I need to have a good amount and number of sales every month to keep things moving smoothly.

Coming back to the first sale of February, it was a complete blast and the best one of the month:

GoWash.com – This one had a BIN of $50,000. The opening offer was $30,000 but the Afternic broker negotiated and brought the buyer to $40,000. All credit goes to the broker and my AN rep Adam Ramsdell in making this sale happen for that price. Very professionally and smoothly handled sale. Hold time around 4 years.

BeAHero.org – Sold for $4,888 via AN BIN. I’ve had a very little success with .org domains but I still like to keep buying sensible .org domains. The most I love to invest is 3L .org domains. Hold time around 4 years.

SpeedFloor.com – Acquired 4 years ago for low-mid 3 figures. This one was a negotiated sale at $4,300 and I think the BIN was $4,888.

FireBirdMusic.com – This domain hold time was 1 year and had a BIN of $2,988. The broker negotiated and it sold for $2,500.

5Hearts.com – Acquired via GoDaddy Auctions 5 years back and the buyer hit the BIN at $2,988 via GD shopping cart.

BeaconConstruction.com – Another domain acquired 5 years back and the buyer hit the BIN at $6,888 via GD shopping cart.

Blacom.com – Another GD shopping cart BIN sale for $4,888. Acquired this one almost 5 years ago.

Ciircle.com – A letter less or an addition in a strong keyword are always good to invest in. The buyer hit the BIN at $3,988 via GD shopping cart. By the way, since January 2020, I’m having easily more than 50% sales via GD search path.

EntrepreneurAdvisors.com – Another GoDaddy search path BIN sale for $2,988. Total hold time was a little less than 4 years.

VeaGroup.com – I love this sale because the ROI is fantastic. Acquired via DropCatch almost 5 years back uncontested at normal backorder price. The BIN was $19,888. The broker did a fantastic job making the buyer agree at $18,000.

MedList.com – This sale came via GoDaddy’s reseller partner registrar and it sold at the BIN price of $19,888.

PoolMagic.com – Hold time 4 years and buyer hit the BIN at $3,988.

SophieDavies.com – As always two word person names are in demand but you’ve to carefully check which ones to invest in and price it reasonably. This one sold for $1,988.

BaranTech.com – The last sale of the last month was a negotiated one which sold it for $2,500. It had a BIN of $2,988.

So a total of 14 sales excluding a couple of more sales happened via Afternic but I won’t mention it because once again my sons sold those domains.

The number of inquiries for February was slightly less than 1,700 and the total number of domains at the end of February 2024 were a little more than 9,200.

Total acquisition + holding costs was around $3,500 and total amount of sales was $119,792.

Feel free to share your sales and give your feedback on mine if you like to. It doesn’t matter how good or good the feedback is :xf.wink:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK. I want to know do holding costs $3,500 include renewal fee? Or this money was payed for buying new domains?

Last edited:
•••
Many many congrats....!!!
Your patience is so good.

•••
Thanks again for these posts they are really great.

Have you talked previously about how you’ve scaled your portfolio? Were there any portfolio acquisitions or have you just consistently registered names over time?

•••
OK. I want to know do holding costs $3,500 include renewal fee? Or this money was payed for buying new domains?
It includes renewals, transfers and purchasing price altogether.

•••
Thanks again for these posts they are really great.

Have you talked previously about how you’ve scaled your portfolio? Were there any portfolio acquisitions or have you just consistently registered names over time?
Thank you Kyle 🤗

I've shared about scaling my portfolio somewhere but nothing in detail.

In short, I would like to share that I grew my portfolio at a very slow speed due to lack of funds. Like it took a few years to reach 1,000 domains. But when I reached 3,000 domains, sales started to happen more frequently which gave me some additional cashflow to grow my portfolio at a rapid speed which I eventually did it. In the last 4 years, I've more than doubled my portfolio. Right now, I'm going at a slow speed again and will continue in the current way mainly because I want to enjoy my life and not to be involved all the time in domaining :xf.smile:

•••
Thank you Kyle 🤗

In short, I would like to share that I grew my portfolio at a very slow speed due to lack of funds. Like it took a few years to reach 1,000 domains. But when I reached 3,000 domains, sales started to happen more frequently which gave me some additional cashflow to grow my portfolio at a rapid speed which I eventually did it. In the last 4 years, I've more than doubled my portfolio. Right now, I'm going at a slow speed again and will continue in the current way mainly because I want to enjoy my life and not to be involved all the time in domaining :xf.smile:

That's awesome, thanks.

I'm basically in the same boat. Have gone from 200 to 1000 names in 3 years (quite profitably) and sales are now starting to happen a little more consistently. I can see it scaling a lot faster with that more consistent cashflow.

•••
That's awesome, thanks.

I'm basically in the same boat. Have gone from 200 to 1000 names in 3 years (quite profitably) and sales are now starting to happen a little more consistently. I can see it scaling a lot faster with that more consistent cashflow.

That's good to know and I'm glad you're in profits and scaling a lot faster than before. I'm sure you can scale even more quicker once you'll have 3K domains.

Once you've gained the knowledge and how to operate this business, the only thing which keeps you at bay is the lack of cashflow.

•••
:xf.smile:
My friend, I follow the same road!
Now I buy domains slowly, I do not spend extra money, as I have a large family. Over five years, I have reached only 450 domains. This is a really slow path, but true. On annual results, I remain in a small plus. I sure that when I reach 1000 domains, there will be much more sales

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back