Dynadot

Afternic force me to add dns records to my domains for deleting them from Godaddy, Dan.com and Afternic. Fast transfer risk?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Naming

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Hi,

I have deleted my portfolio on Afternic in 2023. All domains was removed and not showing on Godaddy and other registrars.

But kater after several weeks someone added half of my portfolio to Dan via different Chinese users (i have screenshots) Dan won't delete my domains. Why do Dan allow adding domains without verification?
Afternic now force me to add domains to Afternic and inject dns records to my domains for deleting them from Godaddy, Dan.com and Afternic. So the question is there any security risks because godaddy can activate or use it for fast transfer stealing domains (i read some horrible stories about it).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After adding dns verification records the domains maybe gone via automatically fast transfer because its already listed by Chinese scammers on DAN.COM and they are can be verified as owners because dns added.

Hello Godaddy what if someone list for sale your car or home without your permission and asking verified for deletion? You should verify sellers firstly. They are criminals because selling not their properties, domains are properties on the Internet.

•••
Shit, it's hard to understand your case without a bottle of vodka first...

One thing for certain: no one can force you to change your DNS without your consent, you can point them anywhere you like.
Second: contact DAN and tell them about the problem with all the screenshots (proofs of the ownership).
Third: if your registrar is GoDaddy - RUN, and watch from outside the whole mess between GD, Afternic and DAN (you can still point nameservers to one of them).

For the rest, best if these guys will take a look:
@James Iles
@Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
@VadimK Hi, i sent all info to Dan and godaddy before posting and twitting, Dan support responded:

"Dan is a low-barrier platform. You can indeed list these domain names for sale as there is no benefit in trying to sell them if you cannot physically deliver them for payment. As such, buyers are not at risk through these listings. In addition, if sellers fail to deliver we will act on them quite strictly".

•••
Hi,

I have deleted my portfolio on Afternic in 2023. All domains was removed and not showing on Godaddy and other registrars.

But kater after several weeks someone added half of my portfolio to Dan via different Chinese users (i have screenshots) Dan won't delete my domains. Why do Dan allow adding domains without verification?
Afternic now force me to add domains to Afternic and inject dns records to my domains for deleting them from Godaddy, Dan.com and Afternic. So the question is there any security risks because godaddy can activate or use it for fast transfer stealing domains (i read some horrible stories about it).
Hi @Naming,
Yes, we would recommend using NS3 or TXT verification to complete the ownership verification systems at either Afternic or Dan, whichever has been affected (you mention both marketplaces), in order to bring the domain names into your account. Of course, you have the option to unlist domain names from your Afternic account if you do not want to list them publicly for sale across the Afternic distribution network.

•••
Hi @Naming,
Yes, we would recommend using NS3 or TXT verification to complete the ownership verification systems at either Afternic or Dan, whichever has been affected (you mention both marketplaces), in order to bring the domain names into your account. Of course, you have the option to unlist domain names from your Afternic account if you do not want to list them publicly for sale across the Afternic distribution network.
Hello, I already unlisted them in 2023 and deleted from Afternic but later it was added by someone else on Dan. What should i do? Add again to Afternic, verify via dns and delete again? Maybe better prevent unverified listings on Dan? Do not allow to list domains on Dan without dns verification?

•••
It is unfortunate that both Dan and Afternic only require verification if a name is already in their system, opening it up to bad actors. At Afternic a better system then deleting them is to list them as not for sale, but still in your account, which makes it impossible for someone else to list them.

To answer your main question....
s there any security risks because godaddy can activate or use it for fast transfer stealing domains
This would only be a risk if the names are approved for fast transfer at Afternic. This cannot be done unilaterally by Afternic, but requires confirmation through your registrar. So make sure you do not approve fast transfer requests if you do not want to use Afternic.

The danger is whether the names were approved in the past (particularly from pushed wholelsale acquisitions). Some registrars make it clear whether FT is enabled, and make it easy to disenable, but at others it is easy to enable but requires manual request to disable.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
The danger is whether the names were approved in the past (particularly from pushed wholelsale acquisitions).
THIS!

That's what i say.

•••
Here's some of my domains that pointed to Chinese users on DAN.COM you can check it buy your side. Their fake and unrealistic bins prevents me to sell the domains because shows on hundreds of registrars (afternic network).

BizFirms.com
CarsWorlds.com
CommonWebsite.com
GenerousServices.com
Perfectests.com
Goodests.com
HomebusinessCo.com
MalesOnly.com
MarketersTips.com
Prosperousness.com
TheBisexual.com
TheLifeisbeautiful.com
TheWorlddesign.com
Creditcardcreditcard.com
Whatsinteresting.com
Xxxurl.com
Yourbestsale.com

Those domains was under my Afternic account in 2023 so they (Chinese) are not "old owners".
@DAN.COM investigate it.

•••
You know how many offers I have made, there is no response, come to find out they don't even own the name... but dan leaves there page up... they don't care... Also, just had a case where I bought at BIN price, the owner never transferred and then upped the domain price 20x, what did dan do? Nothing, his account is still active and they don't care. Good luck getting anywhere, it's hopeless...

•••
The only way you get them removed from Afternic is to temporarily add them to Afternic add the verification code click verify and they will be pulled from the scammers account.

DAN used to handle it via chat but most likely you would have to do the same procedure with 3rd name server there too to get them pulled out of the other account. The problem is if you delete it can be re added by someone else again.

The question remains on both why can people add without proving ownership as these methods I mentioned are a temporary fix til the next scammer comes along.

•••
Hello, I already unlisted them in 2023 and deleted from Afternic but later it was added by someone else on Dan. What should i do? Add again to Afternic, verify via dns and delete again? Maybe better prevent unverified listings on Dan? Do not allow to list domains on Dan without dns verification?

This has been a well documented issue for years.
It's unfortunate this continues to happen, but the only way to actually prevent these jokers from listing your names is by going through the verification process. (Unless you have an Account Manager.)
It sucks, but in order to protect your assets, it's necessary.
There are many who used to believe this was a one and done solution.
However, it has been proven that it's not.
That being said, I don't recommend deleting them after verification.
If you do, the jokers will have them re-listed again within a week. Guaranteed. (Usually 24-72 hours.)
If you're a seller, I don't recommend "unlisting" them either. It makes more sense to keep them listed with a minimum offer only.
At least this way, you'll be the one receiving any leads from the brokers instead of the jokers.
Hopefully this helps.

EDIT:

I checked your names and it's important to note:

They target lower priced names that aren't listed with Afternic or DAN, so they can list them at a higher price.

Last edited:
•••
Look at this scam listing on dan.com a godaddy brand listed by scammer.
Listed by
域名卖家

Screenshot_20240109_190054_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240109_190129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Godaddy and Dan.com don't care.

Buyers beware they are took your money and don't deliver the domain. Because this domain CreditcardCreditcard.com is mine and i am NOT selling it on dan.com neither on godaddy. Beware scam platform @DAN.COM beware @GoDaddy

Godaddy you are not a No 1 anymore.

•••
Absolutely unhelpful support from Afternic, godaddy, and dan.com hundreds of domains was deleted manually via sending ownership screenshots.
Dan.com awful platform with useless and havy UI.

@GoDaddy i highly recommend to disable DAN platform like was with Uniregistry.com and make domain redirect from Dan.com to Godaddy.com

Thread closed.

Last edited:
•••
The issue is real. I recommend against using Fast Transfer so you should disable it on GD or other associated registrars. Have GD employees earn their wages by contacting you for the sale's particulars when that happens.

BTW "域名卖家" means "domain name seller" so it's not really their name.

Last edited:
•••
I'm doing my best to maintain forsale portfolios @ the marketplaces in actual state, so I usually remove the domains not scheduled for renewal - before their expiration. In particular, I already removed all domains which I'll drop in January and February. Now, the story:
Dynadot recently implemented a helpful feature showing afternic sale status and price. To my surprise, after I logged in to Dynadot and reviewed the list of domains sorted by expiration date, I now see that some of my soon-to-expire domains are now back on sale! Listed on Afternic with 4 figures BIN by Chinese users. Most likely via DAN, I did not bother to check. And the domains in question are still under my control, not yet expired. Unfortunately I have no time to "fight" with these particular listings, and, in any case, Afternic/Dan does not really care...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back