Domain Empire

discuss Are domain hacks good??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Branded Domains

Be YouTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like them if they make sense. Many of the new extensions rely on domain hacks or at least using the extension as the second keyword like Mountain.bike

Most of the good ones that would be used for the extensions are being held by the registrars and auctioned off for a lot of money.

Mountain.bike was held back from registration to be auctioned off, but for some reason they didn't hold back Mtn.bike for auction (which I grabbed and couldn't believe no one else got it before me). I really like it because it's shorter than Mountain.bike and is perfect for the extension.

I sold:
Foru.ms for a very nice amount.
Musli.ms

I still have:
Chatroo.ms
Condominiu.ms
(love it)
Timeshar.es
(love it too)

•••
•••
1) I like domain hacks which are pronounceable and pass radio test. You often see such hack sales..

Example:
Network => Net.Work => Pronounced "Net Dot Work"
Nightclub => Night.Club => Pronounced Night Dot Club

2) I am not a big fan and see end user confusion in other type of domain hacks like. They can be used for social media links and promotions but dont see mainstream usage.

Examples:
Designers => Designe.rs => Pronounced how ? Designe Dot RS
Delicious => Del.icio.us => they eventually changed name to delicious.com . had lot of leaking traffic and user confusion.

Just my 2 cents:

•••
i'd love to own:

inter.net

too cool.

•••
•••
Well in the past 3 weeks I have had 4 unsolicited email enquiries after my hack domains (plus a ridiculous enquiry for a GeoDomain on here via PM where I was literally asked "if you provide me the offer $$$ or $$$$ ( low, medium, high) range, i can offer my best" so that is not included in the count of offers).

Domain hacks just like any other kind of domains have the value that the owner and potential buyer put on them. When you consider that of the nearly 400 million domain names registered very few get sold each year on the aftermarket, and of these many do not get any publicity at all. Those that look at current type-in traffic often rate domain hacks as being worthless, unless they are owned by one of the big domainers when surprisingly they are valued highly. (LOL)

To me domain hacks are valuable if they can transmit a marketing message via sight, and this is likely to become ever more so, imagine the domain ca.rs, now there is no way it would pass the so-called 'radio test' ('c', 'a', 'dot', 'r', 's'), but now on the screen or in print it immediately means just one thing to the viewer:

'ca.rs' = 'cars'

This can and does apply to longer terms as well, let us consider the following, 'BolywooodFil.ms', again no way will this pass the so-called 'radio-test', but on screen or in print it means just one thing - 'Bollywood films'. Now obviously with more and more access to the internet occurring using mobile devices with touch screen control the so-called 'radio test' is diminishing in importance as people click on links to a site rather than do direct type-in with the hope of finding what they want. But also consider that the amount of inter-personal communication being done verbally is reducing tremendously as many people now communicate via text. This and several other major factors means that domain hacks are only increasing in value to marketeers and advertisiers and will continue to do so in the future.

Anyway that is just my opinion, but then again most people think it is worthless.:rolleyes:

•••
mountaincab.in

buycab.in

alberteinste.in

germanste.in

area.co.de

promo.co.de

car.co.de

free.catering

boobtu.be

theexecutive.top

confirming.link

loaded.cloud

use.cologne

new.cologne

optfor.pro

optfor.top

optfor.xyz

howto.promo

vrs.im ( vr sim)

ロ.TOP (means ro.top but looks like box.top lol)

ty

•••
I love hacks when they are really short version of your domain and complement for promotion/social media/remembering/sharing purposes like youtube.com youtu.be
washingtonpost.com wpost.com wpo.st

•••
•••
Mobil.es would be even better )

•••
•••
I own

virtual inter.net
virtual pla.net

•••
@Dineshkp If i remember right Pepsi bought pep.si for a good $18k

But some might feel its TM issues. Anyways it gives you a chance for just 1 buyer. So better to invest in domains that can have good end-users and not get into trouble

•••
Don't own any hacks but I think short domain hacks are very cool. Stuff like:

who.is
ban.jo
lol.cat

Tasty.

•••
url and domain hacks are great.

I love creative email / domain hacks too.

•••
•••
•••
to my eyes in order to judge if a domain hacks is good or not i like to think to the target to the possible developed websites.
If it is a chat for guys and gals a domain name like meet.me is great.
If the purpose would be a finance site or something with a very educated target i prefer to stick to a keyword.com

•••
What about geo hacks? Place names, (e.g. Dubl.in)

•••
Digging out old thread to share a hack story from Poland.

There is this medical insurance company in Poland focusing on remote doctor consultations. They named themselves Telemedico and tried to brand themselves with this cool domain hack: telemedi.co.

Even though their customer base is mostly educated corporate employees with group insurance plans, guess what, almost nobody understood the domain hack, and everyone called it Telemedi.

The company decided to embrace it and registered/purchased telemedi.com, and now they are Telemedi.

•••
Before the new gTLDs were launched it was difficult to find domain names that were short and easy to remember as most of the good domain names already taken. Hence, people became creative and there came the idea of domain hacks that to add a word or the name of the brand, for example, iamsame.com is taken then one may try registering iamsa.me this is what a domain hacker would do.

•••
I normally am not interested in hacks for resale. Only for own projects. Often they are expensive to hold and many ends users don't understand benefits. If there would be .ns tld, I would take reco.ns for example even with 50 dollar renewals

•••
One of the biggest companies in the world uses abc.xyz, which is a domain hack. They have enough money to be able to choose almost any domain and they choose a cool domain hack

•••
how is abc.xyz a hack? Is the name of the company abcxyz? Or is a hack any creative way to transliterate a word/brand/term?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back