Dynadot

analysis Are domain names with an accent usually worth something?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dantex45

Established Member
Impact
Hello! I've been researching domains in different languages, and I'm curious to know if a domain with an accent has value, for example: "papá" (it means dad in Spanish). It would be a short domain that means a very brandable word in that language.

The issue is the punnycode, if the fact of putting a tilde makes it more difficult to use this type of domains in other countries such as the USA that do not have the accent on their keyboard.

In namebio or in estibot it lets me search for domains with an accent, and in godaddy auctions I have never seen one, I would like to know your opinion or if you have known cases of this type of domains being sold

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These domains have little to no value. Maybe papá, like your example would be worth something if the "á" is common on a keyboard in other countries, but almost all investors and buyers avoid these types of names. You would be a million times better off with "papa".

•••
As a Finn I’m familiar with Scandinavian/Nordic letters in domain names. In order to ensure compatibility on all platforms (including email), businesses are usually advised to avoid those domain names unless they also register or can acquire the corresponding non-IDN, e.g. ääliö & aalio. The former gets type-in traffic, and since it is the literally correct one it can also be used intentionally in marketing/branding, and all visitors are then forwarded to the main domain (non-IDN).

•••
Some will probably sell but probably not worth investing in.

•••
As a Finn I’m familiar with Scandinavian/Nordic letters in domain names. In order to ensure compatibility on all platforms (including email), businesses are usually advised to avoid those domain names unless they also register or can acquire the corresponding non-IDN, e.g. ääliö & aalio. The former gets type-in traffic, and since it is the literally correct one it can also be used intentionally in marketing/branding, and all visitors are then forwarded to the main domain (non-IDN).

ääliö gets type-in traffic? X Doubt ;)

jk, I know what you mean, IDN domains get type-in traffic in many languages but it probably isn't the same in Spanish where the only difference are the accents.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back