Dynadot

.tv Are You Developing TV Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I agree with the saying, "Don't buy a domain you are not prepared to develop!"

However, something I have noticed with Dot TV domains is that is seems most domainers buy them with no real intention of development. Are you developing or not developing your Dot TV domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A lot of folks in "greater L.A." are flocking to downtown as its one of the few 'boom' areas is SoCal.

[Rental] "rates have jumped 18.2% since 2010, and were projected to grow another 6% in 2012, according to the USC Lusk Center for Real Estate"

Virtually all buildings are at 98% occupancy and... [Landlord] "The only reason I’m not at 100% is because I can’t turn the apartments over fast enough.”

That said, my focus is on hotel guests, as 4 million people live in L.A., but 25 million visit each year, and tourism downtown is booming... so much so 5 new downtown hotels are either under construction or will begin in the next year.

As far as 'development', every channel has at least 100 curated videos in the stream. Some channels have 800. That's like having an 800 page website. And around 20 percent are feature length, 1 or 2 hour, videos. Which generates more time spent on-site than on your typical blog post or the hit & click cpm sites you would call "developed".

All told there are around 5,000 videos under one (umbrella) domain, TVCloud.com. In my book That is (TV Network Channel) development... because I could plug any video into any channel at any time. Just as a national TV network can insert a program in a local affiliate station's channel.

That's how they make money. Likewise, I can plug any one, or grouping, of the hundreds of "TV Commercials" / video business cards on my network into any channel at any time. And one of my channels sits between CNN and the USA Network.

The individual web channels can be like window warehouses for categorized video content. The key thing is having some premium (audience) screens to pump a crafted blend of programming into.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to be able to see the forest for the trees, so showing you more trees is not going to change much.

And, of course, I'm also a fan of Marshall McLuhan.

•••
•••

Last edited:
•••
True, the line should read 'that you might call developed'.

Did not intend to put words in your mouth. I associated you with cpm "hit & click" development because you "founded and once ran a cooperative parking company" and cited your association with some of the most successful "hit & click" domainers.

you seriously need to stop putting words in other people's mouth. i barely have a clue what you mean by "hit n click cpm" site let alone recall ever having argued that's what development is.

likewise when you responded earlier here:

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

What?

•••
Some real conversation nice, to the point on partnerships I agree Fin that is where the problem lies. Domainers think I got the name you got the idea 50/50. The domain is being overvalued if that's all you bringing. I think the goal should be 80/20 but the domainer may only get 10%. That is if they are doing nothing except saying, "I got this great .tv imo and I will partner it with your idea"

The other option may be for the domainer to lease the domain while development is going on so as to get something and then get a piece.

So the domainer could say I will lease in this example Moped.tv for $250 a month and then when the site ready to go live, lease payments stop and you have 80 % and I as the domainer have 20 %. The quality of the domain and its dependence on the project will obviously vary and make the lease and equity vary.

•••
The other option may be for the domainer to lease the domain while development is going on so as to get something and then get a piece.

So the domainer could say I will lease in this example Moped.tv for $250 a month and then when the site ready to go live, lease payments stop and you have 80 % and I as the domainer have 20 %. The quality of the domain and its dependence on the project will obviously vary and make the lease and equity vary.

i belive marc ostrovsky did an arangement with a big name some years ago where he not only got a decent price upfront but was entitled to a small percent of sales. commercial land and mall space usually rents out for a price plus a % of sales. i sure wish i heard about more deals like that then "hey i got 10k for that name i only paid 100 for. what a huge roi i got". yeah sure it may be true and people may think thats what the tld needs but actually it makes us look cheap and amaturish in the eyes of big money corporates. my sentiment on this by no means applies only to .tv names.

instead of offering names "for sale" we should all think of it more in terms of offering specific "development rights".

Last edited:
•••
RSchwartz has talked about domain leasing but probably in the context of domains with type-in traffic. In the case of .TV, you are selling a memorable brand. After Panda and Penguin forget about exact match search volume. The problem is the vast majority of individuals view a domain as something which should cost max $25 or maybe $100 for a high-end domain. I was in a sporting goods store recently trying on a nice pair of shorts. I always have had difficulty finding pants and shorts which fit well because I do squats and leg presses and sprint work and am bigger in the hips and thighs than most people with my waist size. So when I find a good fit, I might be willing to pay a little more. The shorts were about $40 and my thought was I don't like paying $40 for a pair of shorts despite the style and fit. Translate that same thinking into domain names. A company can spend thousands on business travel or advertising or exec bonuses and benefits but a domain often isn't valued the way domainers think they should be.

•••
A company can spend thousands on business travel or advertising or exec bonuses and benefits but a domain often isn't valued the way domainers think they should be.

nor will they ever so long as domainers are willing to accede to that point of view and cave to the loball offer.

sometimes, mostimes we ought to be ready to say "no". but even the most hardned veterans among us often say yes to a price that is far less than a large profit seeking enduser should pay.

i'm not saying that amongst ourselves we ought not to trade at prices we consider fair. but when youre talking to a large company, esp a media concern (ought to more often be the case when its about a .tv) then something like half a million (in value over time) should be the starting point, i mean for a top flight name of course. rick s always used to say that no good name should sell for under 100k. thats why i say the starting point should be 500k, brace them for 6 figures and GET that 100k payday! it doent matter if they start out saying "oh we thought 1000 would be a fair offer".

how do you know its a big fish? well you dont always, so make your inquirer PROVE they are not. if the negotiator cant or wont then let them know you assume its oprah looking to expand her network. :)

Last edited:
•••
Good point, and it reminded me to address some of your 'more pointed' statements in this thread"

how do you know its a big fish? well you dont always, so make your inquirer PROVE they are not. if the negotiator cant or wont then let them know you assume its oprah looking to expand her network. :)

I email my "Media Kit", with channel stats, because the 'rate card' depends if the ad comes from an individual, small, medium or large company. And there is flexibility with each client, and event.

if you're a legitimate publisher that sells advertising why dont you have a media kit or at least a basic rate card that explains exactly what the medium and the metrics are. how many viewers, what demographics, cost per thousand impressions, etc? i mean you've been doing this for at least 2 years now right?

In addition to 'local info', I integrate 'trade related' spots into the channel for whatever is going on at the Convention Center, At L.A. Live, Disney Center, etc..

A lot of major events like the Grammys, Emmys, XGames, American Idol, take place a few blocks from the hotel so its rooms are frequently booked with the who's who from any given industry or trade.

Being able to reach this audience, in their hotel room, on a dedicated TV channel, appeals to businesses beyond downtown LA.

During the recent LA Film Fest, for example, I ran spots from actor reels, to trailers, to promos to other Film Festivals... and the rates varied.

Whatever event or convention is going on downtown, I pop trade related queries into my BizCardTV site's search app, and shoot off emails to the best prospects. They know the Big Show is going on, and wish they could there... so putting their all ready produced video to work... IN the attendees hotel rooms, is very appealing.

So yes, I make a day-to-day living from my network of developed TV domains. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:D

i bet a lot of angelenos these days have never even been to downtown except maybe to pass thru it on the 101. however for guests in the downtown sheraton youve hit the nail on the head.

•••
I do love the name TVCloud.com.

•••
"Love!"? Don't get any ideas. She's taken!:D

Thanks. Its a great online TV network name as virtually all online TV is in the cloud.

•••
Yeah I know she's taken best of luck with it Claude.

•••
Some people have been developing for years. Read the Morgan Linton piece on developing web sites. It is more than content. It is more than Wordpress. He quit his job to focus on his startup domain development.

I have one of the best DOT TV domains out there. High Search. High Dollar category. Have been sitting on it for 18 months.

When you develop a domain, the problem is most people start with a domain - not with a vision or an idea.

Most successful internet companies start with an idea and then acquire a domain to fit the idea.

Otherwise, developing domains is a nice hobby - but unless you have an exit or live entirely off the income generated by the developed domain - it is no different than stamp collecting or investing in art. You bought a frame for your art or a book to display your stamps - but it doesn't add value to the item. Same with development.....

IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back