Dynadot

Ask a Moderator Anything (Publicly)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Per member request, we've created this public thread.

Please feel free to ask us anything, and we'll try to answer as best as we can.

We look forward to answering your questions.

You may also contact us privately through our support sections:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
@Paul

Were you affiliated in any way with godaddy inc. and/or its subsidiaries/sub-brands in the past?

•••
•••
It looks like it was modified as outlined in the guide we provided you. See #4 below:

If you want to mask ("space out") a domain name from showing up in search results when the exact domain name is searched, then you may report the post to see if a moderator is able to add spaces to it, e.g., example.com becomes e x a m p l e . c o m, which prevents searches for "example.com" from matching.

Generally, this option is only available in showcase threads, appraisal requests, and marketplace listings.

Note: If you want to "space out" a domain name in someone else's post, then you must first prove ownership of the domain name. Then, once ownership is satisfactorily proven, a moderator will determine whether your request can be granted.
@Echo Mod Team I created the post, I'm the owner of the domain name in my post. I don't want to space it out. I want to remove my domain completely. This is because I am reselling my domain to another NP member and I don't want him/her to see past discussions on my domain name.

•••
@Echo Mod Team I created the post, I'm the owner of the domain name in my post. I don't want to space it out. I want to remove my domain completely. This is because I am reselling my domain to another NP member and I don't want him/her to see past discussions on my domain name.
Hello,

The only option we provide for domain removal is spacing it out (which means e x a m p l e . c o m) if we have verification that the domain owner is requesting it, but if it's in a forum that isn't indexed by search engines, then that won't make much difference but we can still do it. We do not remove the domain entirely in any cases. If the poster can edit their post, then they can edit it however they want (or remove it), but that won't affect quotes of that post. For quotes, we can only space it out if we receive a request from the verified current domain owner.

NamePros does not get involved with what users post unless there is a rule violation. As far as we can tell, there hasn't been a rule violation.

We cannot play favorites with users or make special exceptions to treat your content (or content about you) differently than others’.

Please keep the following terms of use in mind that all users agree to when signing up to NamePros:
The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts ("Content"). Content submitted express the views of their author only.
You agree to take full responsibility for all Content you submit to the Service. You agree to assume any losses and/or liabilities that result from your Content.
You understand that we are not a publisher of Content on our forums. We do not moderate most Content.
You agree not to hold us liable for any loss that may result from the use of the Service.
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
Source: Terms Of Service

Thanks for understanding.

•••
Hi everybody

last week I wrote this posting

1.png

At that time @QUAD DOMAINS had an Impact Score of ca -170, @Domain noob was at -15
I mentioned these two members because the unfairness which their accounts had been treated with was evident to everybody.

Today
Quad Domains: - 3
Domain Noob (notably without any activity since then): + 28

There are good people in this community, people who care and are ready to take action upon it.

Hi everybody,
this issue with the anon downvoting will be solved by the forum management someday.
In the meanwhile I opened a new thread - calling it Solidarity Thread - meant to be a partial solution to this issue, being meant to be a place where cases of unfairness caused by anonymous downvoting get flagged up and fairness restored through the community itself, without involvement of the mods 😲
Genius isn't

Everybody is invited to participate

@johnn, @Samer, @MasterOfMyDomains, @QUAD DOMAINS, @bmugford, @Amit V, @Lox, @D Haynes, @DomainBanana, @Chieff, @biggie, @Bob Hawkes, @kor

•••
Negative quick replies (e.g., "Dislike") will still be able to decrease the points below zero, but quick replies aren't anonymous.
This begs another question. Can't you simply put the old reputation system back into use? The system without the + and - options. It just worked. :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Or just simply disable anonymous dislike. It's not a rocket science.
Dislikes aren't anonymous. You can view all the dislikes on a post.

•••
Dislikes aren't anonymous. You can view all the dislikes on a post.

Are you dumb or you just trying to be a shitty troll?!

•••
We're won't be removing them, but we would like to solve the anonymity issue.
That would at least be a good plan B.

•••
Gotta love controversy, lights the board up.
Cant the owner see what this anonymity is doing? Here to do business and cant have business without accountability and a good accountant.
Starting to see more posts by the skid mark you have under suspension @Paul
Definitely makes the dining room of your cafe more presentable

Are you dumb or you just trying to be a shitty troll?!

•••
Starting to see more posts by the skid mark you have under suspension @Paul
I un-deleted that one when you asked why he was suspended. While our normal policy is to delete such content, given that he was in the midst of criticizing us when he finally got enough warnings to be suspended, I wanted to ensure there was as much transparency as possible surrounding his suspension. (Yes, I see the irony.)

•••
Namepros allows AI generate / written content as replies since there is no rules against AI content? :xf.cool:

Last edited:
•••
Namepros allows AI generate / written content as replies since there is no rules against AI content? :xf.cool:
Most content that current AI would generate—that’s content from a LLM, like ChatGPT—would be (1) very obvious and (2) probably a violation of our rules.

LLMs aren’t autonomous: someone has to give them very clear instructions. They can’t post on their own—that would violate our rules and would be easy to detect, and it also has nothing to do with LLMs.

As an example of something that might be permissible, it might be acceptable to use an LLM to verify the grammar and wording in a post you’ve already written. Asking it to rewrite the post would be a bit of a gray area.

LLMs can’t come up with new ideas. Someone has to feed them the ideas. They’re not a threat to our community—for now.

•••
What's the plan @Paul?
We're still debating solutions internally. I remain in favor of deanonymizing everything, but some solid arguments have been made against that solution.

It sounds like that, at least for now, we'll likely expand the quick reply system with more options, then temporarily disable votes until we can provide some degree of transparency to votes.

•••
We're still debating solutions internally. I remain in favor of deanonymizing everything, but some solid arguments have been made against that solution.

It sounds like that, at least for now, we'll likely expand the quick reply system with more options, then temporarily disable votes until we can provide some degree of transparency to votes.

Do you have a time frame on this, because this issue has been going on for an awfully long time?

Brad

•••

What could the argument be against deanonymizing everything?

•••
There isn't a concrete timeframe--development rarely works that way--but it'll be ASAP. I consider this a high-priority issue, but the amount of time it will take to develop a solution depends greatly on the solution we choose. Currently, we're favoring a solution that will be quick to implement--not as quick as deanonymization, but certainly on the faster end of the spectrum.

•••
Most content that current AI would generate—that’s content from a LLM, like ChatGPT—would be (1) very obvious and (2) probably a violation of our rules.

LLMs aren’t autonomous: someone has to give them very clear instructions. They can’t post on their own—that would violate our rules and would be easy to detect, and it also has nothing to do with LLMs.

As an example of something that might be permissible, it might be acceptable to use an LLM to verify the grammar and wording in a post you’ve already written. Asking it to rewrite the post would be a bit of a gray area.

LLMs can’t come up with new ideas. Someone has to feed them the ideas. They’re not a threat to our community—for now.

I came across these two posts

https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-what-are-domains-most-valued-as.1300108/post-9003443
https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-what-are-domains-most-valued-as.1300108/post-9003448

Reported one and it got rejected

There is contradiction between first two lines and last line :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Reported one and it got rejected
What was the rejection reason? Those just look like spam; they probably could be deleted on those grounds alone.

It’s not clear whether those are AI-generated. We’ve been receiving very similar spam for many years; usually it’s just generic text copy-pasted from other sources. Either way, spam is spam, regardless of where it came from.

•••
The following (Potentially) AI generated comments do not have promotional reference, no 3rd party linking, and there is not a source easily found to prove the content was duplicated/copied. The posts also appear to be on-topic and explaining what variables domains are most valued as.

1. https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-what-are-domains-most-valued-as.1300108/post-9003443
2. https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-what-are-domains-most-valued-as.1300108/#post-9003448

While there is a high likelihood that the content was spun from other sources, the content is on-topic, helpful (for those that didn't know the information they provided already), does not promote a 3rd party site or service, and does not have an easy way to prove the source of where said content came from.

Because of the above, Echo Mod Team see's no reason to focus moderation efforts on such content, which technically does not violate a rule at this time.

We hope that information helps clarify why we did not remove the content.

•••
@Echo Mod Team deals with spam a lot more than I do, so they're in a better position to judge the quality of the content. At least for now, we'll leave those posts live. That being said, we're always adapting to new threats; if we end up seeing a large influx of nearly-identical content like that, we may have to start removing it, regardless of whether it originated from a human or LLM.

•••
I noticed today that I no longer see anyone's signature.

It just shows a "Show signature" option under a post that I can click on.

It shows this on desktop and mobile (landscape mode).

Did I miss some recent changes?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back