IT.COM

discuss Best way to find a domain worth for flipping?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

leon0012

Impact
I am new to domain flipping, but I am thinking of getting into the business as it seems interesting and profitable. But I would need some advice before entering this business. For example, how can I understand that a domain is worth flipping or not, how can I set the selling price, and the platforms I can use for this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,
You need to read & learn and it will start to come to you. It takes a while - there is no shortcut.
Domaining can be profitable, but contrary to a lot of outside opinion, for many (if not most) it's not.

Don't buy too many names while you're learning.
Welcome to np, good luck (y)

•••
You might read articles wrote by @Bob Hawkes here in namepros. They are very enlightening.
Good luck to you.

•••
Much more complex than we could ever explain in a post. It takes time to learn what sells and why. Its part art part science. Or a very expensive hobby.

Which one is up to you.

•••
Hi

the sharks love a newbie, whom they can flip onto their subscription plan.
lock your wallet.

imo....

•••
Here's a good starting place:

If a domain is at auction and has bids, then it is *likely good. That doesn't mean you might not overpay for it, or that you will ever sell it. But it does mean that other people are interested in it and willing to pay something.

I wouldn't go bidding on auctions just yet. There are at least 50 pricing indicators that make a domain good. I use about 5 myself in most domain purchases that I make. Some of those are automated appraisals (don't recommend for newbies), extensions registered, age, radio test, etc. I always do research, no impulsive buys. After years of buying and selling domains you just get a feel for what is worth investing.

You can't expect to jump in to auto auctions and make money if you don't know anything about cars.

•••
•••
There is no flipping marketplace you buy domain find buyer put a low mark up to sell faster than waiting.

•••
Honestly I’m probably done , most of the best names were gone a decade ago or more. Unless you already have money feels like a giant waste of time , energy and money. I’ll hang onto my top 20 names for development purposes but don’t really see much opportunity in raw names unless you have thousands or more in capital to start.

•••
Honestly I’m probably done , most of the best names were gone a decade ago or more. Unless you already have money feels like a giant waste of time , energy and money. I’ll hang onto my top 20 names for development purposes but don’t really see much opportunity in raw names unless you have thousands or more in capital to start.
I will give you short recipe:

• To start you need 100 domains
  • No hand regs, aim for $20 domains from GD closeouts & Namepros marketplace.
  • Starting capital = 100x$20 = $2000
  • STR (sell through rate) is around 1% to 2% per year which is the industry standard
  • Lets say your STR starts with 1% because you are new in picking good names
  • Using 1% STR You will sell 1 domain out of 100 in 1 year.
  • Your 1 sold domain must be priced at > $1000 to make a profit because you will pay renewals for 100 domains = $10x100 = $1000
  • Lets say you sold you first domain at $1500, then your net will be $1500 - $1000 (renewals) = $500. So you have recovered $500 from your initial investment.
  • use that $500 to buy more domains.
Rinse repeat.. in few years you will have a big potfolio.

For picking good names, forget about domain age, traffic, cpc..etc. Focus on the following:
  • To be safe stick with .com, 2 words only, only characters, no numbers no hyphens.
  • The name must be usable as a name for a brand, company or service.
  • The name usage must be clear and must make sense. It also should be in a popular category (avoid names in small niches).
  • The name must be in active field avoid names of obsolete categories (like fax).
  • The name must sound good enough to worth buying for $1000+. Think about what if you are the potential buyer would you pay that amount for it?
  • Dont buy in rush and always research the names before you buy, Namebio & Google are your best friends.

•••
Plenty of brokers will offer commissions. You don't need an inventory to sell domains but do need an audience.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back