Domain Empire

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those informations are interesting, thx for sharing it here.
Shorter names = easier names, thats also my sight.
But if a long name is very noticeable, it could be easier to remember the long name than a short L combination in certain circumstances.
But those long names are rare.

And, also according to this thread, does anyone know if the word 'CHINEST' mean something in chinese language?
I am asking because I own chinest . com but I dont know 'the value' of this name.
Thx for answers.

•••
BYR.com sold. Both buyer and seller are located in China.

BYR can stand for:
百亿融 (financing in the order of tens of billions)
白鸭绒 (white duck down)
捕鱼人 (fisherman)

•••
hmmm...learning alot....thanks

•••
I'm receiving many private messages asking me about selling Chinese domain names. Please let me clarify. I am not an expert on Chinese domain names. It's the opposite. I started this thread to motivate me to read Chinese domain name news everyday -- and then to share with you what I've found. I'm sure there are many Chinese domain name experts on this forum, and I hope they can help and answer your questions. While I do like to help you, I'm afraid I'm just not qualified. Thank you.

•••
i have syl.co = earnings

hhw.co = good fun

•••
Do Chinese companies buy domain names consisting of English words only?

宝宝巴士 (pronounced as "BaoBao Bus") develops educational apps for preschool children. Founded in 2009 in Fuzhou, China, the company recently completed its Series B financing. With the change in China's one-child policy, I think this company is well-positioned for massive growth.

Interestingly, the company's website is Babybus.com, and does not use BaoBao.com even though it is available for purchase (currently parked. Also, BaoBaoBus.com does not resolve.)

I think the reason is that the company was established early on as a global player. Their website is already in English, Korean, Japanese, French, German, Russian, and Portugese, in addition to Chinese. Another reason is that both "baby" and "bus" are commonly seen in China and their users (many are highly educated parents) can understand and remember the name.

So this is a very smart move. The name BabyBus can work both inside and outside China. I think it's a better choice than BaoBao.

•••
A bunch of cultural facts and personal ideas regarding Chinese domains investments:

From what I know, in China, people are buying plate numbers with '8' or short QQ numbers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent_QQ#Related_characteristics) for expensive amounts.

For instance, if you look registrant email in whois info for TTTP.co, you will see a 6 digits QQ number, and for 1688.in you will see a short yahoo numeric email. More generally, Chinese domains investors have interesting whois data, with rare QQ numbers (containing various 8), short QQ numbers, phone/email numbers with 8...

This just shows that Chinese interest for numbers is not a new trend, but it's the first time it impacts Western world with such visibility.

This research for interesting patterned-domains, in various extensions, more and more obscure, reminds me the gold rush centuries ago or more recently, the mining of virtual currencies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#Mining).

And like gold: supply is limited (as short domains), storing it in a bank has a cost (like a renewal fee), most gold reserves have no industrial usage (like patterned or numeric domains, most of them won't be developed) and as long as people AGREE that they have value, they have value. Scarcity alone does not make value. People MUST agree in common that a limited product has value to give it some value. Beware if/when this common credo (will) change. Maybe it will never change.

•••
..and as long as people AGREE that they have value, they have value. Scarcity alone does not make value. People MUST agree in common that a limited product has value to give it some value.

That!
Exactly that is the reason behind all the happenings and large investment waves lately in the Domaining space with more and more people sharing the same view and agreeing to the value in certain niches (LLLL, Numericals etc.), therefore investing in these which then is leading to all the buyouts, rising floor prices etc..

•••
ZT.com was sold recently. Whois detail was updated on Oct 27 and the registrant is from China.

ZT can stand for:

中通 (which may refer to a logistics company in China with about 100,000 employees. The company's current website is zto.cn)

中铁 (which may refer to a state-owned, railway company with about 280,000 employees.The company's current website is crecg.com.)

zt.com did not resolve when I checked it.

•••
ZT.com was sold recently. Whois detail was updated on Oct 27 and the registrant is from China.

ZT can stand for:

中通 (which may refer to a logistics company in China with about 100,000 employees. The company's current website is zto.cn)

中铁 (which may refer to a state-owned, railway company with about 280,000 employees.The company's current website is crecg.com.)

zt.com did not resolve when I checked it.

What of QXGDJ and GJZGY

Last edited:
•••
hey ninjas, how is MMBM.net ?

•••
Interesting thread ChinaMobi, thanks!

•••
GNGZH kinda = Guangzhou in some way. Keep it for sure. Might be worth your while.
Perhaps GNGZU = Guangzhou better? But sorry I just registered it B-)
GuangZhou.io is available for sale.

•••
The game has changed.

According to a blog posted on SOHU.com, a man by the name 谢毅鹏(XIE, YiPeng) registered more than 30,000 6N .com domain names in September, then added more in October.

On November 1, he sold all of them, making 17 million RMB in just one month when 6N prices rocketed. Now, it's about buying and then selling large volume of cheap domain names.

This kind of stories may beome more and more common, indicating a trend that I have never seen, where a few big domain investors in China swoop up a large number of certain type of domain names to create a boom.

•••
It's called value investing.

•••
Happens in the stock market all the time. You need deep pockets to scale like that. But it's a fairly simple idea.

•••
Hi photonmymind, I like numbers. As a matter of fact, I like anything that's short and easy to remember.
Do you like 235585? In .com

•••
When you come across a Chinese name, if you want to see what kind of domain name you can generate from it but you don't have a Chinese friend to help you, try the following methods.

I'll use the company 宝宝巴士 (Baby Bus) I covered earler as an example.

1. Paste the name into the Google Translate box.

https://translate.google.co.nz/?hl=en&tab=wT#zh-CN/en/宝宝巴士

It gives you an English translation. In this case, the answer is: Baby Bus

Now you can check to see if Baby Bus is available as a domain name.

2. Or, paste the name into Yabla's Pinyin box.

https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-english-pinyin-dictionary.php?define=宝宝巴士

You'll get:

宝宝 | bǎo bǎo | darling; baby
巴士 | bā shì | bus; motor coach

Now you can further work on the Pinyin or English words. Before making a purchase decision, I suggest that you seek opinion from a Chinese just to confirm your understanding is correct. Hope this helps.

•••
>Do you like 235585? In .com
No. Too long for me.

•••
ent
When you come across a Chinese name, if you want to see what kind of domain name you can generate from it but you don't have a Chinese friend to help you, try the following methods.

I'll use the company 宝宝巴士 (Baby Bus) I covered earler as an example.

1. Paste the name into the Google Translate box.

https://translate.google.co.nz/?hl=en&tab=wT#zh-CN/en/宝宝巴士

It gives you an English translation. In this case, the answer is: Baby Bus

Now you can check to see if Baby Bus is available as a domain name.

2. Or, paste the name into Yabla's Pinyin box.

https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-english-pinyin-dictionary.php?define=宝宝巴士

You'll get:

宝宝 | bǎo bǎo | darling; baby
巴士 | bā shì | bus; motor coach

Now you can further work on the Pinyin or English words. Before making a purchase decision, I suggest that you seek opinion from a Chinese just to confirm your understanding is correct. Hope this helps.

For example,

高科技 gāokējì meaning high tech / high technology

高技术 gāojìshù meaning high technology / high tech

what Pinyin characters can I derive from them?

(gāo kē jì) GKJ or (gāokē jì) GJ

(gāo jì shù) GJS or (gāojì shù) GS

•••
On November 1, he sold all of them, making 17 million RMB in just one month when 6N prices rocketed. Now, it's about buying and then selling large volume of cheap domain names.
I think since then prices rocked once again and person who bought his names made 30% profit on them already.

•••
8 is of course good but not when paired with 5!

58 means not prosperous

Wow 17 million rmb = $3.5 + million cdn!

:P

•••
Is there any way of understanding domains meaning in chinese

•••
•••
Hi ChinaMobi

Which are the popular chinese domaining forums in China?
I can only find 1 that is buzzing with activity.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back