Dynadot

information Do you use a security key to protect your registrar account?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

A1EX

Private StatusEstablished Member
Impact
I am talking about a physical device used for authentication, that you plug into USB and if so, what do you recommend? I have been looking to do this for awhile but for whatever reason never pulled the trigger. All of my accounts use 2FA though the google authenticator, but looking to bump security up even more! Any info would be great as I am new to a device like this!!! :xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I use a YubiKey sometimes, I recommend it if you really need the extra security, but for me, it's more of a pain in the ass. I think "Passkeys" (not passwords) are going to replace the need for hardware keys soon anyway.

https://www.yubico.com/

•••
Any particular reason you are asking this question? :xf.wink::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
Any particular reason you are asking this question? :xf.wink::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:
Got freaked out awhile ago when some of nameservers got changed at NC, just trying to up the security game lol

•••
I am set up to use a YubiKey for a couple of accounts. I use it occasionally. It is best practice to have at least 2--one for primary use and the other to keep as a backup; you have to add the accounts to each device.

I haven't had any major issues using them.

Last edited:
•••
I use YubiKey a lot. Not very expensive and it adds an extra layer of protection.

There is a downside obviously; They are easy to 'misplace' :).

•••
I’m saving OTPs on bitwarden so far

•••
Some form of 2FA is important. YubiKey is a solid option.

For anyone who has an account representative at GoDaddy, I would suggest enabling DTVS (Domain Transfer Validation Service) on your account as well.

Even if you can get by someone's password AND 2FA, a domain can't be moved or transferred.

You need to confirm it on the phone with your account rep, and provide a separate PIN.

It is a great peace of mind. I am sure other registrars offer similar services.

Brad

•••
Fabulous.com were the true domain registrar pioneers, providing access to a physical and fully functional fob way back in 2010. I wrote a review of it back in the day, interesting to see how it compares to modern products :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back