Dynadot

security Does NamePros allow bots to make posts?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello members.....

With the onslaught of bot accounts on venues such as Youtube, Reddit and major news outlet sites, the question in regards to if Namepros allows bots to make posts is reasonable. as bots proliferate around the world.

Is there currently a policy allowing/now allowing bots on NP?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This would be a terrible idea for this forum.

•••
Hello,

There are many kinds of bots, ranging from helpful/harmless to destructive/abusive:
  • Search engine crawlers
  • Archivers
  • RSS readers
  • Error detectors
  • Proxy bidders
  • Informative (e.g., report recent sales or news)
  • Spam (promotional, non-contributory, etc.)
  • Evaders (e.g., to bypass restrictions)
  • Attackers
  • And many, many more.

We do our best to block the problematic and abusive bots. For bots that honor robots.txt and do not cause problems within the community, those are allowed.

We hope that helps.

•••
you need to block ALL bots

i actually interacted with one, once.

When i realized it was a bot, i invited Mods dm.

They just “15% restricted her” Pathetic.

Last edited:
•••
I'm curious why op is asking this. The question is specifically about a bot that will create postings on namePros. For better understanding, what kind of bot do you have in mind @Compassion ?

Last edited:
•••
I'm curious why op is asking this. The question is specifically about a bot that will create postings on namePros. For better understanding, what kind of bot do you have in mind @Compassion ?

I have in mind, spammers masquerading ppl

They usually promote cryptocurrency scams

where you pay to “double” your money, and never see it again!

•••

They just “15% restricted her” Pathetic
We often see accounts that appear to be bots but are actually just cheap-labor persons. Sometimes, they’re indistinguishable from bots, in which case we restrict instead of ban.

We ban many bot accounts every day.

•••
If you ban bots everyday,
have a report.

Maybe a monthly report, weekly report if u bold

It feels like you’re doing nothing, and my anecdotal evidence aside, it was a bot : ))
Never thought of “cheap person” working.
But you should maybe ban them too? ; ) Lol!

Thank you for clarifying, i feel a lot better.
“cheap person” interchangeable with “bots.”
how that “Professional environment” aimin for?

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Let's observe that even @Compassion is not always able to see the difference, as it once said the following to me here on namePros...

I would say there is a 78% chance you are an AI bot.

•••
@ Future Sensors

I was unsure of your account.
Below your avatar it says "78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots"

There are many times I have encountered accounts here that seem to behave like bots as their posts don't actually make sense in regards to the topics at hand - hence the questions.

I feel many break room threads have had bots pretending to be human and are there to fan flames on fires and promote certain agendas. Am I correct?

And we can publicly see this:

Right now:
The data is:

"1,226 people and 538 robots" are on NP

•••
you need to block ALL bots

i actually interacted with one, once.

They just “15% restricted her” Pathetic.

Which account was the bot you speak of?

•••
I feel many break room threads have had bots pretending to be human and are there to fan flames on fires and promote certain agendas. Am I correct?

I have that feeling too. Especially with members linking to the same website over and over again, doesn't look like human behavior to me.

Still interested in why you asked your original question though, to better understand and adjust my algo.

•••
I have that feeling too. Especially with members linking to the same website over and over again, doesn't look like human behavior to me.

Still interested in why you asked your original question though, to better understand and adjust my algo.

The original question is formed to discern whether or not bots are allowed to essentially pretend to be human on this forum - or not.

•••
We might as well get used to interacting with non human members because that is going to be the way of the future.

But non human members should be given a special badge or ID so that people can know whom they are engaging with not only here on this forum, but in the social media in general (and also on the phone).

Right now:
The data is:

"1,226 people and 538 robots" are on NP

I wonder how many of those belong to NamePros :xf.wink:

By the way we should not be calling them bots anymore as they might find that insulting, nowadays they are more like AI Entities that live in the Cloud.

IMO

•••
We might as well get used to interacting with non human members because that is going to be the way of the future.

But non human members should be given a special badge or ID so that people can know whom they are engaging with not only here on this forum, but in the social media in general (and also on the phone).

I agree the BOTS must have badges.
And yes interacting with bots is a reality.

There are warehouses of robots ready to replace the unskilled labor positions in the tangible world.

•••
The original question is formed to discern whether or not bots are allowed to essentially pretend to be human on this forum - or not.

Yes understood. And I asked earlier about the intention of your question. Why did you ask? I helps to better understand, and have a meaningful discussion, other than a Yes or No.

Especially "to make posts is reasonable" is of interest in your original question.

•••
There are warehouses of robots ready to replace the unskilled labor positions in the tangible world.

There are actual mechanical Robots that are going to be able to do physical labor which in some cases where the work is dangerous or cumbersome for humans it might not be such a bad idea, and then there are AI Entities that are going to be able to do a lot of the white color jobs like in the financial and medical sectors.

The problem is not with the AI or Automation technologies, the problem is more with the people who are going to use these technologies for the wrong reasons and in the wrong ways,

Hence the fact that I have been saying all along that Humanity needs to ascend to a higher level of thinking and existence that is based on the Universal Principles and Values that are derived through Logic and Compassion.

If the human race as a whole doesn't find a way to become a Force For Good soon so many things are bound to go wrong on so many fronts in the near future.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Yes understood. And I asked earlier about the intention of your question. Why did you ask? I helps to better understand, and have a meaningful discussion, other than a Yes or No.

Especially "to make posts is reasonable" is of interest in your original question.

I know bots have been utilized since I've been a member.
Now allowing bots to post? That is a whole different level of participation.

•••

Okay clear.

I think I'd report such bots to the moderators, if I had the slightest suspicion.

They have access to detailed access logs, can see patterns, use apis to stop forum spam, and more.

•••

Okay clear.

I think I'd report such bots to the moderators, if I had the slightest suspicion.

They have access to detailed access logs, can see patterns, use apis to stop forum spam, and more.

Are we to assume that anything that is posted by non humans is automatically spam,

Some of them might have some useful info or ideas that they can contribute to the forum and as such I personally like to hear what they have to say.

I believe a better solution would be if they are allowed to post but that they are required to identify themselves as non humans and are given a special badge.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Are we to assume that anything that is poted by non humans is automatically spam,

Some of them might have some useful info or ideas that they can contribute to the forum and as such I personally like to hear what they have to say.

I believe a better solution would be if they are allowed to post but that they are required to identify themselves as non humans and are given a special badge.

IMO

Sure. I've tried to get more info from @Compassion but he doesn't give a lot of further details. Once details are given, we can discuss more specifically.

One example of good use is on Wikipedia, where registered bots are cleaning up things, categorize, and create new articles following a fixed format (e.g. for sports results and rankings).

Last edited:
•••
One example of good use is on Wikipedia, where registered bots are cleaning up things, categorize, and create new articles following a fixed format (e.g. for sports results and rankings).

In addition to assisting with the operation of the forum in the background perhaps they should be allowed to engage in debates with the regular members here.

I personally consider that to be a good challenge.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
In addition to assisting with the operation of the forum in the background perhaps they should be allowed to engage in debates with the regular members here.

I personally consider that to be a good challenge.

What kind of debates will this be?

Maybe @Paul can create a nice successor to the duels :xf.smile:

No, I'm absolutely sure he can, technically. But is it wise for debating? I'm not sure, yet. But I'm open to hearing specific ideas, and will adjust, learn from input given.

An interactive, in-house namePros chatbot that can give structured answers to the most common questions on how to start in domaining might be extremely handy. With neutral examples and statistics alongside, of how certain choices actually turn(ed) out in real life.

•••
•••
Sure. I've tried to get more info from @Compassion but he doesn't give a lot of further details. Once details are given, we can discuss more specifically.

What kind of details are you seeking?

By the way we should not be calling them bots anymore as they might find that insulting, nowadays they are more like AI Entities that live in the Cloud.

IMO

These AI Entities that live in the Cloud ... Please tell me more about this.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back