NameSilo

strategy Domain Sales Method That Works

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
My domain sales method is called T.E.S.T. Telephone, Email, Sedo, TRANSACTION.

I really don't like to complicate things so I follow just one system that works (three sales in 2021). I have made many improvements to the formula this past year. That's a top reason why I joined the NAMEPROS to pick up tips from smart people in order to improve my domain name sales process which is only one year old and I'm still LEARNING. Tell me in comments how can I improve this process?

T.E.S.T. starts with registering a name in .com or co.uk that many businesses can use. I build (outsource) a business website and make weekly posts. After three months when there is natural traffic I include some professional looking ads to cover the registration fee. Then I register an alternative (almost always inferior) domain name after THREE months. Not before. Next I copy my business website to the inferior domain name so that it's live on both names.

The sales process begins with a cold TELEPHONE call first. My pitch is that I run a new company with the same name as the company I'm calling (but not the same CUSTOMER BASE) and we're trying to raise funds for some new equipment. We've already registered an alternative domain name and now the original name is being publicly auctioned. Are they interested in making an offer? It's going to be yes, no or maybe.

If the answer is yes telephone call is followed (ONLY if they are interested) with an agreed email providing more information about the domain name and text HYPERLINKS TO SEDO at the top and bottom of the page. There are no images in the entire email, but it has a signature with my mobile phone number, email address and office address. The Sedo page is open to offers and BIN. I'm thinking about making it just offers or just BIN but I can't decide. I wish there was a way to A/B test domain sales on Sedo.

What I really like about this process is there are three major CONNECTION points. The first is that we have the same business NAME. Woopeedoo! Second is their business will become SUPERIOR to my business because they are getting the better domain name. I would sell printroom .com (example) to a company that uses print-room-usa .com (example) and use printroom .net (example) myself. Third everyone gets engaged with a public AUCTION, especially if they have a dog in the race. Part of my strategy is that once I've sold the domain the inferior domain website keeps getting updated every week and starts to get the original site's traffic, and after three months I include ads.

This is not a high volume contact method. Each website only has around 100 people I can contact, and in any case business people are often very suspicious so it needs to look professional in every respect. Maybe others will disagree but I don't see this as DODGY or scammy because the customer only buys the domain if they WANT it, and I haven't lied about anything.

I'll telephone anyone, really don't give a f--- what can they say no? Big deal. NEXT. Three sales this year and only $1130 to show for it, nothing special, but the T.E.S.T. process works and I'm getting smarter every day with YOUR help. Thanks! Impart your wisdom and tell me how can I improve?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems like a hell of alot of work for $1200 as we are about to enter the 6th month of the year. Glad you are enjoying your method but I have never heard of the telephone being anyone’s choice for first point of contact.

•••
"Seems like a hell of alot of work for $1200 as we are about to enter the 6th month of the year"

@karmaco I'm laying the foundation stones for bigger deals down the road, also learning on the job. Domain sales are not my main source of income, that's domain site ads.

"I have never heard of the telephone being anyone’s choice for first point of contact"

You have now mate. What you're saying is basically that the vegetables were ok but the soup was nothing to write home about. $1130 is $1130 (not including ad revenue). A bag of sand is a bag of sand, wouldn't you agree?

•••
I've never spoken to anyone on the phone about domains in my entire domaining adventure (neither customer nor another domainer). Based on my own personal preference I'd imagine people are a lot more receptive to emails and texts so maybe it would be worth trying that avenue of contact before a phone call and then if interest is shown you could offer to follow up with a call? Whatever works for you I guess as we're all different. Either way I wish you the best of luck (you're putting in the effort and that's alway commendable) and hope you have many more sales.

•••
There's something I think is very important. It seems to me that many people are focused on SELLING their domain names. I'm not because the reality is statistically bleak for most domain name sellers and from what I've read here so far. Prove me wrong about that. For me it's about getting a RETURN on the initial investment by all means necessary. Sell, rent, parking, ads, services, even getting hired off the back of a developed website. Here's one out the anonymous sayings book "those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it"

Last edited:
•••
There's something I think is very important. It seems to me that many people are focused on SELLING their domain names. I'm not because the reality is statistically bleak for most domain name sellers and from what I've read here so far. Prove me wrong about that. For me it's about getting a RETURN on the initial investment by all means necessary. Sell, rent, parking, ads, services, even getting hired off the back of a developed website. Here's one out the anonymous sayings book "those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it"

Congrats on your success. Although it is not for everyone.

For one, some people are naturally more introvert than others. For them it is a torture to get on the phone with a stranger, let alone try selling something to them.

Plus, not many domain investors know how to develop a webpage.

Additionally, many intentionally plan this business as passive one. The whole point being that you don't need to do anything for the income besides finding good names, buying and listing.

And, finally, there are many investors that go for a volume and it is just not feasible to develop every one of them. I buy 20-50 names most of the days. Just listing them takes some time. Imagine how long it would take to develop 10 000+ domains ;)

•••
@Recons.Com I hear you brother. I'm just sharing alternative ways to make money other than the standard buy, wait and (maybe) sell. I'm going to disagree with you about this one "not many domain investors know how to develop a webpage" seems like this forum is full of very intelligent people who would be able to set up a webpage with no problems. Coding knowledge isn't necessary anymore like it was 5-10 years ago. What do you think?

•••
@Recons.Com I hear you brother. I'm just sharing alternative ways to make money other than the standard buy, wait and (maybe) sell. I'm going to disagree with you about this one "not many domain investors know how to develop a webpage" seems like this forum is full of very intelligent people who would be able to set up a webpage with no problems. Coding knowledge isn't necessary anymore like it was 5-10 years ago. What do you think?

And I appreciate you sharing.

I don't think ability to set up a webpage correlates with intelligence beyond some minimum threshold. Just like not everyone believes they should know how to mow their lawn grass, not everyone needs to learn web development. I personally have my own dedicated server, can set up a wordpress site in minutes and install a theme with needed plugins. But most don't really require knowing all that.

But, let's assume that if the model is sufficiently profitable, you could just hire someone. So, let's crunch some numbers.

How many hours of your time did you spend developing, writing articles, creating duplicate, doing outbound, calls, follow-ups? Was there any costs related to hosting, buying articles, links?

•••
Cool to see someone share a method they have had success with! Thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back