IT.COM

discuss Domain Seller Racism

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

EmpireNames.com

Founder @ Rooted.com Previously Empire NamesTop Member
Impact
Great Story to share

I was chasing one name for long time finally I reached to owner and offered him price on reddit he replied with counter offer then back and forth we agreed on price now he emailed me to call me so I replied no problem and I called from PAKISTAN. he didn't picked up the call I thought maybe he missed call I emailed him I called you but no response he didn't responded I called again he didn't picked up the call I emailed again that we should start escrow now but instead he replied I don't take calls from Pakistan and now I am blocking you
I am like What The????????????????

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are 'Concern Flags' that sometimes get raised possibly unnecessarily but they still emerge. Unfortunately this seems to be prevalent with certain countries.

Just a few months ago I had a sale that seemed to be progressing fine through Sedo. Then Sedo raised a concern about the Country of origin of the buyer (North African) I never found out if this was their only concern. But the surprising thing was Sedo also stated they were happy to continue as transfer agents providing I chose to INSTRUCT them to continue. No doubt relinquishing them of any responsibility should anything go wrong

Talk about being left between a Rock and a Hard Place. So No I didn't continue and let the sale drop.

Perhaps it is just a Probability flag that gets raised with certain Countries and individual sellers are themselves becoming just as wary

Last edited:
•••
It's not actually racism, its the country you live in. Many countries will not deal with certain middle east or south asia countries. I recall that the people who run Cpanel would not do business with a country in your area, it might be Pakistan.

Some of it has to do with 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden, some of it is because of supposed hiding or support of terrorists and some is because Pakistan and India are pretty much enemies and some countries are sympathetic to India.

It's unfortunate it affects you, but people are people, what can you do ?

It's actually racism when you discriminate against a person because of their ethnicity (won't take calls from Pakistan). Well, okay maybe not "racism" but it's still discrimination.

But the rest of what you said makes sense.

•••
•••
I don't think Pakistan has particularly that bad of a reputation? I mean there are articles about how it is corrupt, but these refer to internal corruption not so much trying to scam people outside of Pakistan.

The U.S. is pretty corrupt these days too, what with so many politicians being charged with crimes.

Do you buy a lot of stuff from American politicians?

•••
That’s exactly the point. The corruption in Pakistan too that is written about is apparently chiefly among government officials.

•••
Most probably the buyer seems to be not frequent domain buyer/seller so he doesn't understand the in/out of procedures. So possibly he's thinking by using Escrow.com, still it would be reflected that funds are coming from Pakistan and not U.S. Though I'm not defending the domain seller at all but as @Domains - Wanted said "That's not racism. That's stupidity on his part" which I totally agree.

Also I totally agree with @biggie.

To continue what biggie said, I would like to add something along with it. Honestly speaking, if someone wants to deal with me in Pakistan, I usually try to avoid if I'd to trust and deliver at first (anything) compare to anything dealing with West. I don't consider it racism but I consider calculating the probability of getting scammed from my region compare to West. I know and I feel more comfortable dealing with Western people because in my experience they're more trustworthy and I know of getting scammed in my country. Also I believe that every single Pakistani represents the entire nation and vice versa for every person of other nations. I feel ashamed when I hear that any Pakistani doing any wrongful activity no matter where he currently resides because I believe that person represents the entire nation and ruining everyone's reputation.

As far as my experience over a decade, I've not come across anyone who've openly attacked me on racism or even at the level of what happened with @Riz M. - But I've found many great people from all around the world and seriously I've found very helpful, nicest people more from rest of the world if I compare with my country people.

Most people on this planet are aware of tensions and hatred between people of Pakistan and India but I've always loved Indian people because I've lived with them for 10 years in Dubai and I found them very humble and down to earth people. Even on internet doing business for more than a decade, I've never found any Indian who've attacked me in ANY WAY. They're way loving and appreciating in every way they can for expecting nothing in return... Seriously.

In the end, I judge every individual by their act no matter what religion, cast, region he represents including my family members as well.

Very well said dear friend @AbdulBasit.com

You covered broad spectrum.

•••
It may not be racism. Some people avoid doing businesses with the countries where have high risk of financial frauds. Sadly, Pakistan is one of the countries.

Last edited:
•••
also many domainers secretly hire cheap marketing from India and Pakistan to either cold call and email a whois database of emails for domains similar to theirs.

The services are cheap. So domainers kinda become biased towards pakistan or india or even vietnam. I even occasionally get calls from my own country Philippines.

sucks to get lumped with all those spammers. it's all part of the racket that is domaining. gotta be thick skinned to be in this game buddy! chin up and keep movin! Sharks die when they stop movin.

•••
•••
Great Story to share

I was chasing one name for long time finally I reached to owner and offered him price on reddit he replied with counter offer then back and forth we agreed on price now he emailed me to call me so I replied no problem and I called from PAKISTAN. he didn't picked up the call I thought maybe he missed call I emailed him I called you but no response he didn't responded I called again he didn't picked up the call I emailed again that we should start escrow now but instead he replied I don't take calls from Pakistan and now I am blocking you
I am like What The????????????????
Thousands of people all over the world are being scammed out of enormous amounts of money daily and it isn't from say... Iceland etc where you go to jail for doing that. No it's from your part of the world so of course there is a difference in risk when doing business with people in certain countries, especially with a well known scammer country like Pakistan. Yes the truth does bite.

https://www.wonderslist.com/countries-highest-number-scammers/

Unfortunately the problem is not only that. Alarm bells would ring at the Homeland Security Office etc if large sums of money change hands between USA and Pakistan. This related to all the terrorism and fanaticism. We have all had to adjust to new strict rules regarding the reporting of money transfers, even in Iceland and yes that bites too.

An unfortunate bi-product of other people's bad behavior which you have to suffer for. You live there and know what goes on so why are you so shocked to find this out?

Why did you pull the racism card?

Anyway, anyone who has ever been scammed or has a close relative who has is more alert and less willing to make any transaction where the word scam even pops into their heads.

Last edited:
•••
It's actually racism when you discriminate against a person because of their ethnicity (won't take calls from Pakistan). Well, okay maybe not "racism" but it's still discrimination.

But the rest of what you said makes sense.
I discriminate on a daily basis. You need to look up the meaning in a dictionary because your usage is way off and based on what you think it means based on other people's misuse of this word, which is not actually what it means.

Last edited:
•••
Receiving call from Pk for you could be different story... but americans or european or australians i dont think so they would be also in alert... i think it was his own choice not to deal with Pakistan ..
Maybe he got bad vibes from your own way of communicating. I gave a salesman a real chastizing not even 2 weeks ago when he was trying to get me to enter into a deal which I then broke off half way through. He turned it into a non european cultural bazaar deal and not the way I do business according to Swedish law.

I told him to get stuffed and that I was thinking of alerting his superiors. You need to know who you, where you are and how you present yourself in any business transaction.

Last edited:
•••
side note. two years ago someone called my mom. she said he sounded from india from his accent. said he was from some Gov org. she ended up giving her date of birth and social.

I ended up putting a stop on her credit which ended up cancelling all her credit cards.

now she has to carry cash around. not good for a 78 year old.

and now she pays for LifeLock to monitor her credit.

she's on fixed income and now she has to pay for this. and her info is floating on the internet now being traded. lifelock said they saw her info on the darkweb already.

so yea I can understand where your buyer is coming from. sucks but what can you do? like i said just keep it movin.

•••
I have lost countless of sales, especially on Sedo, where my former country was openly on display.

First, it was a $5k offer which the buyer backed out following discovery I was from a certain country. Then, followed by 18,000 EURO loss also based on the same country matter. Plus countless of other missed opportunities. It got so bad I had to leave the country.

I feel the pain of anyone suffering the same treatment because I know what I went though.

•••
I have lost countless of sales, especially on Sedo, where my former country was openly on display.

First, it was a $5k offer which the buyer backed out following discovery I was from a certain country. Then, followed by 18,000 EURO loss also based on the same country matter. Plus countless of other missed opportunities. It got so bad I had to leave the country.

I feel the pain of anyone suffering the same treatment because I know what I went though.
When you start to feel everybody's pain then you make a breakthrough.

•••
side note. two years ago someone called my mom. she said he sounded from india from his accent. said he was from some Gov org. she ended up giving her date of birth and social.

I ended up putting a stop on her credit which ended up cancelling all her credit cards.

now she has to carry cash around. not good for a 78 year old.

and now she pays for LifeLock to monitor her credit.

she's on fixed income and now she has to pay for this. and her info is floating on the internet now being traded. lifelock said they saw her info on the darkweb already.

so yea I can understand where your buyer is coming from. sucks but what can you do? like i said just keep it movin.
That's terrible.

•••
I once got some email from Syria, few years ago, i think it was not about domains but when i was selling Twitter accounts. Sitting in Israel, i almost shitted my pants, not only didn't i reply but i tried to delete this email from servers. This is not a joke at all here. With Pakistan it's not as bad as Syria, because with Syria we are in official state of war, with Pakistan not. But when i'm in Europe i have no problem to communicate with people from any country.

However here, this is another issue - that in different terroristic and scam lists issued by different state and security agencies of different countries, Pakistan unfortunately is on the same page with Syria, @Riz M. whether you like it or not. I'm sorry for this.

•••
Not sure what the sellers exact reason is for changing his mind, but I would open the escrow anyway.

Maybe if he gets the escrow.com email, he will proceed. Maybe he wont.

Either way, losing a deal, for whatever reason, doesn't feel good.

Just believe that you were being protected for some reason. If it doesnt happen, it is somehow for the best.

•••
Lets’ agree you are a 100% honest domain name buyer and also agree the other person is a
100% honest domain name seller.

Lets' acknowledge we are in an era marked with so many and varied online scams, so many attempted telephone scams and so many spoofed phone calls, that a prudent person, buyer or seller, should always " proceed with caution " in their business dealings regardless of the nature of their business.

Is it possible the domain name seller was being “ too prudent, or overly cautious or just too suspicious " due to his awareness of the various scams perpetrated and publicized by so many others?

Possibly the seller had to weight his potential for profit vs his potential for loss and opted for the latter.

Unfortunately it is possible two perfectly honest people could have been in effect victimized by the scams and scam attempts of so many others.

Last edited:
•••
Just because scam i can understand but as i mentioned we were going in escrow..
maybe i am wrong but sounds like racism to me..
But i respect your opinion and really understand maybe this is the case (y)

Sorry to hear this.

I think its pure stupidity, nothing more. I, and I bet 99.9% of the rest of us here, do not pre-judge persons based on various attributes. If you've got the cash, we've got a deal. :)

•••
•••
Money is green. Or red or white or black or whatever color the currency happens to be in the country I am dealing with. If it lands in my account irrevocably I am selling whatever was agreed upon to the party I am contracted with, unless it comes from some country that the U.S. is not allowed to deal with, and Pakistan is not such a country.

The rest of what is being written here is speculation. We don't really know what was going on in seller's mind.

•••
And Sedo shows seller's (bank's) location just to "help" buyers (with their discrimination)!

•••
LOL... Forgot to add that the person I contacted was being sarcastic and instead proceeded to call me a banana eating monkey who needs to get off his Internet cafe to the farm. O_o

What a fucking prick!! I have never and never would discriminate against a buyer or seller, that is some crazy shit that person was dealing you.

•••
LOL... Forgot to add that the person I contacted was being sarcastic and instead proceeded to call me a banana eating monkey who needs to get off his Internet cafe to the farm. O_o
There is no place for that anywhere. Hold your head up high and be proud of who you are. Don't let an ignorant person like that ruin your day.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back