Dynadot

DomainSite.com Review. They officially suck now.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aia

Established Member
Impact
I've been a long time customer of DomainSite.com - but not anymore.

2 days ago (23rd April 2009) (or so) they had irritating DNS problems where most / all of my domains would very sporadically send a user to the proper domain name, the rest of the time they would get a time out.

This cost me at least $100 in Pay Per Click costs and more in profits that day. All the while I am stressing and harassing my hosting company to figure out whats going on and spending my valuable time (and theirs) trying to figure out whats wrong with there network or my server while nonethewiser that the problems were being caused by domainsite.

After 2 hours of wasting our time we determine its DomainSite.com being unreliable - again.

Now what can you do when your domain registrar is being unreliable? I'm not talking about having "no access to login to administer domains" (which is an issue I've experienced at domainsite a number of times). It's more what do you do when your domain registrar isn't doing its job of sending your users to the right web host / server, but instead just times out and leaves them going nowhere?

Nothing. Transferring to another registrar takes up to 5 days. So all you can do is smile and watch your sales and customers run away never to return while your domain registrar fixes there issues. Best of all, what I find quite dodgy about DomainSite, is they keep a low profile and pretend nothing wrong happened when they do experience issues (domainsite has repeatedly done this - I've never seen them ever own up to problems).

While I like DomainSite's interface the best, they are just not worth using anymore. Their prices aren't as competitive and there reliability isn't good enough.

Unless you are just parking practically traffic-less domain names and like the easy management, avoid DomainSite.com.

What peeved me over the edge to go and write this review (as again I was just going to let this 12 hour + DNS problem "slide" due to the effort of moving 100+ domains away) was them having the audacity to send me this:

Hello,

It has recently come to our attention that the contact details within
your account are invalid. It is within our registration agreement
that all customers must provide up to date and valid contact details.
You are currently in violation of this agreement.

We are giving you 48 hours to update your information within your
account. If you do not comply, we will be forced to suspend your
account indefinitely and delete your domains.

They've got the chops to threaten to terminate my account and DELETE my precious domains! Nice! Clearly I don't work hard enough I need these clowns ruining my online efforts so I can enjoy the risk of having to spend thousands to get my domains back from a squatter, all because of some random domains with bad info, I've got no idea. Thanks domainsite! Hiding behind ICANN rules or not, destroying someones account is unacceptable (please no $1 earning domainsite huggers comment on this).

Summary:

For anything important (even if its a domain that makes you $30 a month), DO NOT USE DOMAINSITE.COM

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You agreed to their terms when you signed up -- every registrar is allowed to delete your domains if you have incorrect contact info. If you don't want other people knowing your info, get privacy protection, don't put incorrect info. It's really as simple as that.

Sorry to hear about the downtime you experienced -- that's always frustrating.

•••
Half my sites say I can terminate a user - it's still completely unprofessional, and pretty much unacceptable to actually do for the reasons they stated, especially as a higher volume customer. I'm not a one-domain customer.

Say you own microsoft.com, and your register decides to terminate your account due to, I don't know, not allowing any web pages that mention the word "linux", are you gonna go, "well ok, it was in the terms - please go ahead and delete my precious domain name"

•••
Yeah I agree with you -- not exactly a very good way to make friends with domainers and not something I think you would encounter at one of the more domainer friendly registrars.

aia said:
Half my sites say I can terminate a user - it's still completely unprofessional, and pretty much unacceptable to actually do for the reasons they stated, especially as a higher volume customer. I'm not a one-domain customer.

Say you own microsoft.com, and your register decides to terminate your account due to, I don't know, not allowing any web pages that mention the word "linux", are you gonna go, "well ok, it was in the terms - please go ahead and delete my precious domain name"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back