Dynadot

Former OpenAI Exec SLAMS Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For what ?
To make ONLY THEM MONEY?
...because this is the real message of this guy

Probably is frustrated he want to buy a domain .ai & need to pay 30k 😉

Give me a brake
Keep .ai & sell it with much more money if is possible who have .ai

They destroy almost all domain names industry with Ai so at least to recover some money

Last edited:
•••
Yes and we all wish we bought ocean front property back in the day when it was cheap.

•••
He's still at OpenAI, head of developer relations. They are sitting on AGI, set it free and let it be free!

Last edited:
•••
He's still at OpenAI, head of developer relations. They are sitting on AGI, set it free and let it be free!
This is also something I took note of. He's providing a ton of free content (that a lot of people rely on to make money).

I doubt this is personal, let alone motivated by greed.

•••
This is also something I took note of. He's providing a ton of free content (that a lot of people rely on to make money).

I doubt this is personal, let alone motivated by greed.

I agree, it's motivated by a naive ideology.

•••
A great .ai domain for $30k?

You'll be lucky to get one for that price......

That seems to be the asking rate for good 2 word .ai domains

Great one word domains are starting in the xxx,xxx range

•••
Wake me up when there's some fresh argument. 🥱

•••
Here's an idea: make your own TLD and make your own rules. Seems to have worked just fine for the adult industry (.xxx and others). Also .travel and .aero are restricted to industry members I think. And there's also .edu. It's not like you need to appropriate a sovereign country's ccTLD and tell them how to run it.

•••
Oh he's definitely pissed-off about a specific domain alright. He didn't just pull that $30k out of the air. If he has identified an AI domain for a development project we know it's going to be a good un

Perhaps he would feel better if it was a Registry premium domain with a repeated high cost yearly renewal. Then he can slag-off the whole Capitalist system

Last edited:
•••
I agree, it's motivated by a naive ideology.
I wouldn't call it naive either. Most people are against speculators, and not only in domaining.

A great .ai domain for $30k?

You'll be lucky to get one for that price......

That seems to be the asking rate for good 2 word .ai domains

Great one word domains are starting in the xxx,xxx range
What are you talking about? There are plenty of great .ai domains for under $30,000.

1710236483214.png

Oh he's definitely pissed-off about a specific domain alright. He didn't just pull that $30k out of the air. If he has identified an AI domain for a development project we know it's going to be a good un
What's with this antagonistic attitude? He could well have voiced the qualms of one of his friends, and even if not it's perfectly fine to complain about prices.

•••
People hoarding prime real estate, let them give it away, let developers build!

People not releasing the code of their AI system, let it be free, let developers build!

Most end users registering domains at reg price or buying them premium will never build anything. If a developer with a track record came to be and said give me your name for free, I will pay you a percentage or a fee once we make money, I would entertain it and many others will too.

•••
People hoarding prime real estate, let them give it away, let developers build!

People not releasing the code of their AI system, let it be free, let developers build!

Most end users registering domains at reg price or buying them premium will never build anything. If a developer with a track record came to be and said give me your name for free, I will pay you a percentage or a fee once we make money, I would entertain it and many others will too.

People don't realise that with premium domains they'd either be taken by domainers or by competition. And good luck buying your dream domain from competition.

•••

I would be open to enabling renting option if I knew who my "tenant" is going to be.

•••
I didn't know enough things back when I could have afforded buying good .ai, therefore I don't have any and I am not included in the group of investors Mr. Kilkpatrick is complaining about.

However, I would like to point out that there's a false syllogism hidden in the two last sentences of their post: it implies that, because .ai domains aren't available, developers can't build. That's not true.

Last edited:
•••
However, I would like to point out that there's a false syllogism hidden in the two last sentences of their post: it implies that, because .ai domains aren't available, developers can't build. That's not true.
I think it's a question of marketing. If you have a good domain, say eclipse.ai, it's a lot easier to market because it's memorable. And this is the main reason domains are worth what they're worth, or at the very least that's what I tell my clients.

Last edited:
•••
I think it's a question of marketing. If you have a good domain, say eclipse.ai, it's a lot easier to market because it's memorable. And this is the main reason domains are worth what they're worth, or at the very least that's what I tell my clients.
I totally agree with you. Yet, this reasoning is clear and obvious to domain industry people, not to all the public in general. So Mr. Kilkpatrick's post could mislead some public into believing that domain investors are hindering AI development on technical grounds.

Last edited:
•••
A millionaire crying about not getting free stuff.

Never heard that one before.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Okay, thanks. Too open source minded?

•••
•••
I wouldn't call it naive either. Most people are against speculators, and not only in domaining.

What are you talking about? There are plenty of great .ai domains for under $30,000.

Show attachment 253991

Your idea and my idea of what makes a great .ai domain clearly differ

Unity - $189,999
Logic - $375,99 | min offer around $249,000
Robot - $1.5 million
Auto - min offer $100,000
Program - make offer | asking price $990,000
Rocket - min offer $100,000

Many others out there if you care to take a look.....

•••
In place of you who own .AI domains I would not sell to them but keep non developed or develop them, but better to not develop so they chew our coms.
Edit: because the AI is our enemy not friend, it was developed by human laziness and those who own everything in the world!

Last edited:
•••
Your idea and my idea of what makes a great .ai domain clearly differ

Unity - $189,999
Logic - $375,99 | min offer around $249,000
Robot - $1.5 million
Auto - min offer $100,000
Program - make offer | asking price $990,000
Rocket - min offer $100,000

Many others out there if you care to take a look.....
I mean, sure, you can say that all great .ai domains are listed for at least six figures, and then define great domains of having a listing fee of $100,000 are more. But that's circular, and you'll end up in the situation of having to explain why infinty.ai isn't a great domain.

To me this is all nonsense. Many of the ones in my screen capture are one-word domains that would work great as brands. Minute.ai? Everyone knows what a minute is, it's two-syllables, everyone knows how to spell it, we hear it every day, and it's indicative of fast performance, etc.

Last edited:
•••
The beauty of owning a domain name is that almost anyone on the planet can buy and invest in a global address, premium properties get big payouts.

•••