IT.COM

Get Domain Back To My Godaddy Account

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ahmedejaz

Impact
Hello on Jan 13 2023 I transferred from my GoDaddy account to another persons GoDaddy account

The dpmain is basically my website on which I work. This guy talked with me on Facebook messenger to buy this site and askede to transfer the domain.

I have transfered the domain and now he or she has blocked me. I have transfered to their godaddy account, please help me how can i get my domain back, i have already emailed undo godaddy havent got any reply,

Please if anybody has solutions

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That said, this situation should qualify as some kind of Social Engineering scam. So, all may not be lost.

You receipt of purchase (and maybe, renewal) and the scammer has none. Follow up with GoDaddy and see what they have to see.
Why would the receipt for the purchase and renewal matter? Godaddy doesn't know if this individual willingly transferred the domain, if he did get compensated for, etc. all they could ever get is this guy's word and some screenshots (which could be doctored), and they don't have to means or obligation to research it, let alone transfer the domain from its current registrant.

•••
Why would the receipt for the purchase and renewal matter? Godaddy doesn't know if this individual willingly transferred the domain, if he did get compensated for, etc. all they could ever get is this guy's word and some screenshots (which could be doctored), and they don't have to means or obligation to research it, let alone transfer the domain from its current registrant.
i have video evidence i can screen record my whole conversation with him, and now he's asking for money

•••
i have video evidence i can screen record my whole conversation with him, and now he's asking for money
Godaddy doesn't operate a judiciary, they're not qualified to verify anything. For all they know the video could be of your friend pretending to be someone else.

The evidence has to be presented to a prosecutor and the verdict settled in court.

Your options are:
  1. Contact an attorney.
  2. Buy the domain back from the guy.
  3. Register a new domain and rebrand your site.
There's not much else to do, sorry.

•••

My point is simple:

If the OP got compensated for the domain name, the scammer would have evidence of that.

The OP has receipt for when he bought the domain name from GoDaddy and possibly for renewals too so that shows evidence of his ownership. That's my point.

Besides, the OP claims to have evidence of the scammer holding the domain hostage and demanding for a ransom of $1500.

All these could work to OP's advantage.

The idea that OP might get some assistance from GoDaddy is just my opinion. GoDaddy may think otherwise.

•••
My point is simple:

If the OP got compensated for the domain name, the scammer would have evidence of that.
  1. Not necessarily, this could've been done with cypto, or an exchange of services, etc.
  2. And even if the scammer did have a receipt, he has no obligation to share with Godaddy.
The OP has receipt for when he bought the domain name from GoDaddy and possibly for renewals too so that shows evidence of his ownership. That's my point.
But a receipt doesn't prove ownership. If I buy a domain and I give to you then it's not mine anymore, and I can't use my receipt in some way to get the domain back from you.

Besides, the OP claims to have evidence of the scammer holding the domain hostage and demanding for a ransom of $1500.

All these could work to OP's advantage.
Only if he takes it to court where the case can be legally sorted out.

The idea that OP might get some assistance from GoDaddy is just my opinion. GoDaddy may think otherwise.
Godaddy had nothing to do with this transfer.

And if they were to get involved and transfer back the domain to the opening poster they'd risk litigation.

You're feeding him false hope.

Last edited:
•••
I think GD will only act if you show them a court order. As others have pointed out, it really is not their position to decide disputes, but it is to follow court directives.

If you have exhausted all efforts with the 'buyer' to either pay up or return the name, I think your only option is to pursue that. Only you can decide if it is worth the associated costs, if you go the civil route.

As others suggested, if the site is operating, you need to make sure your customers are not duped into thinking they are dealing with you, when someone you do not know has control of the name. I'm still a little confused, so the person has access to the name but it is still using your hosting?

I hope somehow it will work out for you.

-Bob

•••
As others suggested, if the site is operating, you need to make sure your customers are not duped into thinking they are dealing with you, when someone you do not know has control of the name. I'm still a little confused, so the person has access to the name but it is still using your hosting?
Chances are he just got the domain transferred, and he hasn't done anything with the DNS. It seems to be more of a hostage situation.

It would definitely be cheaper just to buy the domain back for $1,500 rather than to pursue it legally.

But another alternative is to register a new domain and rebrand the site. So if it was techwithahmed.com he could register ahmedstech.com, and just change the logo and whatnot. Of course, this presupposes that he has a backup.

Last edited:
•••
The best he can do is report him to Facebook and relevant internet financial scam authorities (if such exist in his country) for extortion. In the US its the FTC.

The domain is gone you are going to have to start anew unfortunately.

If you choose to pay the ransom only do so on GoDaddy Afternic or Escrow.com.

I think you should just get another domain or different extension of same name.

Last edited:
•••
Never transfer an account or push an important domain unless you’re paid first or have an escrow arrangement.

There’s a valuable lesson here. You’ve allowed yourself to be scammed and can’t blame GD.

Depending on the value of the name you may be in need of a lawyer.

•••
I pushed a domain too early many, many years ago before I knew what I was doing through godaddy to another godaddy account, the guy stopped responding and owed me $800... Luckily I did research first to make sure it was a legit company and contacted then directly as they were based in NYC, I got in touch with this guys manager and he was extremely irritated with his employee, long story short, I got the domain back, the employee called me complaining that I contacted his manager, and I got to speak with a famous singer, so it was worth it, haha... But godaddy told me straight up that there was NOTHING they could do to help me, and that I need to contact the company directly. You made a mistake, learned the hard way, don't stress too much and you may have to move on. If the person is asking $1500, it would surely be cheaper to buy the domain back before getting a lawyer. Good luck with all of this!

•••
Of course this scammer would be really HONEST if he gave you your domain back in exchange for payment. are you sure you want to check? you have lost your domain for now. do you want to add the 1,500 too?

•••
Did you get your domain back?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back