NameSilo

GoDaddy Acquires Afternic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What impact would this have on both Godaddy and Afternic and the competition?

Would be interested to hear peoples views.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
got that email, I see for now Afternic will remain the same, interesting to see what happens... Will afternic get dissolved into Godaddy eventually.

Last edited:
•••
Wow..This is really some interesting news! I wonder what Sedo thinks about it?

Will definitely shake things up a bit. As of now the whole GoDaddy/TDNam marketplace is so full of junk and so cluttered you'll spend hours searching for names. Maybe GD will use this opportunity to completely redo their marketplace/auction platform! I also wonder what this is going to mean for Premium Promotion on domains at Afternic?

Last edited:
•••
Is it a good news? With all due respect to Go Daddy and Afternic, I do not think so. More competition is better, now there would be less competition. Go Daddy is set to have more domains to come IN with all sorts of upsales, so it would be surprising if they allow current Premium Listings to be shown on afternic partner registrars available for instant purchase (= ready to be transferred away from Go Daddy). Also, it is not obvious that each and every afternic partner registrar will be willing to continue participate in Afternic should it be owned by their largest direct competitor Go Daddy

•••
Didn´t Godaddy have its own parking program?

•••
Yes. Cash Parking. It was always crap.

•••
Not good news at all... But let's see how it plays out in the next few months.

•••
Is it just me or is there something different about godaddy now. I see alot more domains when going to register them say available but for a purchase price. Like a giant increase.

•••
Is it just me or is there something different about godaddy now. I see alot more domains when going to register them say available but for a purchase price. Like a giant increase.

I think hey are all domains that have been registered before but are available, generally known as premium domains, to register/buy/renew. And hence these domains are available at a higher price.

•••
Noticed some expiring tucows domains at tdnam recently. Looks like the integration is underway.

•••
Noticed some expiring tucows domains at tdnam recently. Looks like the integration is underway.

This was occurring LONG before the Afternic acquisition.

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back