Dynadot

auctions GoDaddy Expired Auctions can be tricked

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Furquan

JokerTop Member
Impact
Twitter user and Chinese domain investor posted that Godaddy Auctions allows people to use two bidder accounts on the same name and a lot of people are using it for tricking the auctions.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope. The Western business culture / exploit is not the same as KR, IN (east side) and in this case CN business culture (auction sys exploit ). Noticed ping pong in Sept. 2019 ….

… but that’s not the biggest thing in the domain aftermarket…. The biggest problem is the organized front-running @ large.

Regards
How do you know? Can you explain in more detail?

•••
How do you know? Can you explain in more detail?

via GD API … 4 CN bidders play up … let’s see how it goes on….

http://www.xmkk.com/p/14874395/

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-auctions/8385-com-498694829

TopWash․com from $7,000 to $415 …. Visit TopWash.com

Tw.png

Last edited:
•••
It gets corrected to reflect what actually happened, as I prefer transparency and accountability, even if it doesn't reflect the true market value. It is truly a lose-lose-lose situation though.
It may be a good idea flagging these sales as suspicious to give a full picture.

edit: Also to have a clear record of how many domains are involved.

Last edited:
•••
Check out these weird sales today @Lox

godaddy.png

The price for all 3 auctions is the same...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Simple solution: if highest bidder fail to pay then platform should relist the domain on auction.
If this happen you'll see the reasonable prices of domains on auctions.

•••
9371․com rolled back from $23,000 to $1,305.

•••
9371․com rolled back from $23,000 to $1,305.
:facepalm:

The issue continues. It should really not be that hard to fix.

Not only is this scheme hurting GoDaddy's credibility, it is also skewing the market data.

Sales are being reported way above or way below market value.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
InsurancePrices․com from $7,500 to $425.
SHBM․com from $3,100 to $160.
Scat․net from $1,400 to $65.

•••
InsurancePrices․com from $7,500 to $425.
SHBM․com from $3,100 to $160.
Scat․net from $1,400 to $65.

Unreal.

@GoDaddy is still just twiddling their thumbs doing nothing about it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
We want to thank the community for raising their concerns about potential shill bidding at GoDaddy Auctions. GoDaddy has always condemned shill bidding, and we have stringent measures in place to detect and penalize it.

These measures are being challenged by ever-evolving tactics aiming to circumvent our rules. In response, we are ramping up our efforts to ensure GoDaddy Auctions remains the trusted platform you rely on.

We have recently implemented additional manual processes that put greater scrutiny on potential shill bidders. For the long term, we are in the process of developing enhanced verification methods to tackle this comprehensively.

If you have any concerns, you can talk with our support team at [email protected].

•••
@GoDaddy On the domains that you detected fraudulent winning bids and removed them. Did you also remove all the bids made by the same bidders on other names that they didn't win?

•••
LETT.com just instantly skyrocketed from $50 to $23,000 with 10days left in auction. I looked, and sure enough it was only two bidders.

Last edited:
•••
LETT.com just instantly skyrocketed from $50 to $23,000 with 10days left in auction. I looked, and sure enough it was only two bidders.
Latitudes.com and Oasis.org are also being gamed. Maybe HelloSociety.com too. Oasis was driven up from $250 to $16.5k between two bidders in the span of 10 minutes with 11 days left.

It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in these new measures being announced that it takes all of a few minutes to find 3-4 auctions being actively gamed while they're supposedly being extra vigilant about it.

How many decades and how many millions in lost revenue will it take for GoDaddy to finally admit that the rollback system is fundamentally flawed and no half-measures can stop the abuse? It seems blatantly obvious to everyone except GoDaddy.

You have to re-auction the names, or if you can't be arsed to figure that out you need to delete anything with a 25%+ rollback, and let it end up at DropCatch where a fair and legitimate auction can actually take place. Never deliver a domain to a thief, period. No exceptions. Or it will not stop.

•••
We want to thank the community for raising their concerns about potential shill bidding at GoDaddy Auctions. GoDaddy has always condemned shill bidding, and we have stringent measures in place to detect and penalize it.

These measures are being challenged by ever-evolving tactics aiming to circumvent our rules. In response, we are ramping up our efforts to ensure GoDaddy Auctions remains the trusted platform you rely on.

We have recently implemented additional manual processes that put greater scrutiny on potential shill bidders. For the long term, we are in the process of developing enhanced verification methods to tackle this comprehensively.

If you have any concerns, you can talk with our support team at [email protected].
I agree with what @Michael said.

I appreciate the response @GoDaddy, but it seems like lip service. You can still see the scheme in action.

One big problem is it makes legitimate bidders not even want to participate.

At this point I don't really trust any GoDaddy auction results and am not interested in bidding until this scheme is shut down.

Even someone like myself can easily go through and see the domains which are likely being targeted.

So, if I can see that without any inside information, then there are really no excuses for GoDaddy.

This scheme has been going on for years. It is nothing new. It just has received more attention recently.

A company worth $10B certainly has resources to shut this scam down, once and for all.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
this is crazy, I would never sell something like MH.net for 1k same as LLL for 300bucks as I saw in this forum advertised a lot

•••
I would love to know what GoDaddy has done to address this isssue.

Brad
GoDaddy gets a commission fee, so it's not in their best interest to address it.

In your example a $3,000 (Godaddy would make $600 if it sold for this) domain sold for $30,000 (Godaddy makes $4,000 + $3,000).

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy gets a commission fee, so it's not in their best interest to address it.

In your example a $3,000 (Godaddy would make $600 if it sold for this) domain sold for $30,000 (Godaddy makes $4,000 + $3,000).
These are GoDaddy expired auctions, so commissions are not involved.

Brad

•••
MoonDog.com went from $90 to $11,000 in an hour and twenty minutes with nine days left. Nothing to see here.

•••
At this point I don't really trust any GoDaddy auction results and am not interested in bidding until this scheme is shut down.
I think that's a pretty fair outlook. I just checked the Expiring Auctions sorted by price descending, and in the first 50 results I don't think there's a single one that isn't being gamed. And in the first 100 there are only a small handful that actually seem like legitimate bidding activity. Freaking crazy.

•••
I think this problem has beed fixed. Now they second bidder has to pay their bid amount if he/she wants to purchase.

•••
I think this problem has beed fixed. Now they second bidder has to pay their bid amount if he/she wants to purchase.

Is that so? Some scammers are in for a surprise.

•••
Is that so? Some scammers are in for a surprise.
I just contacted with godaddy support and they said 2nd bidder will be asked for the bid amount he placed before.

•••
We have recently implemented additional manual processes that put greater scrutiny on potential shill bidders.

you have to look at API users ( most of them are in CN, KR) and warn or temp block … until they are completely dry out of their own… let’s say… idea/s.

Regards

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back