Dynadot

auctions GoDaddy Expired Auctions can be tricked

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Furquan

JokerTop Member
Impact
Twitter user and Chinese domain investor posted that Godaddy Auctions allows people to use two bidder accounts on the same name and a lot of people are using it for tricking the auctions.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Currently I'm seeing something very unusual and kind of suspicious on Godaddy. Check out the 3rd and subsequent pages of expired auctions and note the many "crappy" 4L .com names with bids >$1k (and slightly under), many of them with several days to go.

What gives? More of the s(h)ame?

Last edited:
•••
Currently I'm seeing something very unusual and kind of suspicious on Godaddy. Check out the 3rd and subsequent pages of expired auctions and note the many "crappy" 4L .com names with bids >$1k (and slightly under), many of them with several days to go.

What gives? More of the s(h)ame?
Is it 2 sole bidders driving up the price?

•••
I have heard that this thing do not happens anymore

•••
And cancer has been eradicated.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••

GD need a dedicated DD Team or Outside CS/DD Team …. Otherwise, nothing will happen to stop the…. - since 2019 …

Gdb.jpg

•••
Is it 2 sole bidders driving up the price?

Nope. it’s organised by pro brains & based on a few scam / spam tactics.

Regards

•••
Where on BlackHatWorld? I only found some guy saying:

"From what I can remember, Godaddy blocks the user's auction account and put it back to another auction."

•••
Yeah that is what I am talking about

•••
But only knowledge of recent changes would be relevant, and that commenter is obviously not talking about that.

•••
+ if second bidder also denies to pay then it goes to third one?

•••
Hi all, hope all are doing great.

I am new here and I need a little help regarding an issue with an expired domain I had with GoDaddy.
So the domain got expired. I had forgotten and by the time I remembered it was in auction. I was unable to renew.

So I participated to bid and keep the domain. Bidding got higher. As I wanted to keep the domain, I kept bidding...

The only other bidder kept bidding from very low 3 digit $$$ to high $$$$. As I wanted to keep the domain, I won the final bid for high $$$$ which I thought to arrange and pay.

Had this been under 5k....I would have paid right away. But as the final bid amount was over way too much I thought to arrange and pay. It took some time to arrange and unfortunately it got delayed. In the meantime I got email from GoDaddy even before completion of 72 hours of the auction that the domain is being offered to that 2nd highest bidder as I couldn't pay.

My concern is what amount the 2nd highest bidder would pay now ?

And who could that be ? Is that above high $$$$ or the low 3 digit $$$ amount from where only we both kept bidding. Could that be HugeDomain's bot ?

Even now when I log into my account the domain shows on dashboard. But When I click on that it's not available.

Could someone please clarify if there is any way to recover the domain as the registrant of the expired domain ?

Sorry for a long post. I know it's my fault that I didn't renew on time and couldn't process the final bid amount within 3 days.

Thanks and hoping for early responses what to do now !!!

•••

I am new here and I need a little help regarding an issue with an expired domain I had with GoDaddy.
So the domain got expired. I had forgotten and by the time I remembered it was in auction. I was unable to renew.

So I participated to bid and keep the domain. Bidding got higher. As I wanted to keep the domain, I kept bidding...

The only other bidder kept bidding from very low 3 digit $$$ to high $$$$. As I wanted to keep the domain, I won the final bid for high $$$$ which I thought to arrange and pay.

Had this been under 5k....I would have paid right away. But as the final bid amount was over way too much I thought to arrange and pay. It took some time to arrange and unfortunately it got delayed. In the meantime I got email from GoDaddy even before completion of 72 hours of the auction that the domain is being offered to that 2nd highest bidder as I couldn't pay.

The price they are likely to pay is the number when all your bids are removed.

Let's say 5 bidders drove it to $250, then it was you and the other party that went back and forth to $5,000.

After all your bids are removed, they are likely to pay the $250 (or close to it).

Again, the only reason this is able to happen is terrible system design by @GoDaddy.

Could someone please clarify if there is any way to recover the domain as the registrant of the expired domain ?
Unfortunately, not that I know of.

Brad

•••
The price they are likely to pay is the number when all your bids are removed.

Let's say 5 bidders drove it to $250, then it was you and the other party that went back and forth to $5,000.

After all your bids are removed, they are likely to pay the $250 (or close to it).

Again, the only reason this is able to happen is terrible system design by @GoDaddy.

Unfortunately, not that I know of.

Brad

Thanks for the input

Last edited:
•••

And who could that be ? Is that above high $$$$ or the low 3 digit $$$ amount from where only we both kept bidding. Could that be HugeDomain's bot ?

Even now when I log into my account the domain shows on dashboard. But When I click on that it's not available.

Sorry for a long post. I know it's my fault that I didn't renew on time and couldn't process the final bid amount within 3 days.

Thanks and hoping for early responses what to do now !!!
I think it do not works anymore.

•••
YourFace.com - bid up to over $20K by two bidders, rolled back to under $4K winning bid yesterday. I had wanted to get into that bidding... but there was no point. It was shill bidding, obvious as the nose on 'your face'. Ha.

Here's what is crazy: the Godaddy team seems to be talking about making huge, sweeping changes throughout their auction process to make it more secure against shill bidding, fraud, rollbacks... if I were working in that company, in a position of power, and saw how much money we were losing every week, I can sit here for five minutes and solve the problem just through common sense.

It doesn't need huge, sweeping, changes. All the profit that can be made simply by stopping this shill bidding is huge. In one week, the company would make enough profit to literally pay a couple workers to do 2 or 4 hours of work each day, FOR A YEAR. Look through the daily list, find whatever looks like shill bidding (it is VERY obvious, not like looking for a needle in a haystack). Then they could do some very simple investigation, look at those shill bidders' histories, are they new members, have they had warnings before, have they paid high amounts for domains before, have they been involved with shill bids before, a handful of other stats on each bidder that can quite easily show whether they are shill or not.

Then immediately remove them from the auction, ban their accounts, ban their IP addresses and personal deets (in other words, take a zero-tolerance stance against shill bidders), and let the auction play out the rest of its time. Damn, that would be such a simple, quick, effective, and profitable way to solve this. Just appoint a couple of their workers to look into the shill auctions each day and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. They could start today, and we'd never have to see another rollback again. Then we would actually see something being done, and trust the auction again.

Instead, it goes on and on and on. I don't even bid there anymore. The shills/rollbacks have become rampant, like cancer in the GD auctions.

Here's one of the worst parts, as far as destroying our trust: instead of giving actual clear details that make sense, about what they are doing to stop the problem... it's like they hired a 16-year-old and told him/her to write some schlock on Namepros to get our trust back. Almost looks like they said: "Don't say anything, don't give any details, just spin some rhetoric! That'll make them feel better!"

So a couple pages back, we see their post with nonsense rhetoric like "GoDaddy has always condemned shill bidding, and we have stringent measures in place to detect and penalize it." "ramping up our efforts to ensure GoDaddy Auctions remains the trusted platform you rely on." "implemented additional manual processes that put greater scrutiny on potential shill bidders. "developing enhanced verification methods to tackle this comprehensively."

It's kind of offensive to us intelligent domainers, that they actually think their vague rhetoric in any way improves our trust. That they think we are so dull as to be reassured by those trite, almost meaningless phrases they used... and then we watch these kinds of shockingly obvious, and huge, abuses of their auction system... day after day after day.

Shill bidding is a serious problem, costing GD tens of thousands of $$ profit each week, at least from what I can see there. And it's costing them bidding customers, like me, who just won't bother with using them anymore until I see some kind of improvement, some kind of obvious and real-world action taken to stop the shills.

If the problem is rectified, just one week of no rollbacks can pay wages for a couple workers FOR A YEAR to look into the shill bidding every day, for a short time, do a little investigation, ban some accounts, hand out some warnings, remove the shill bids, get each auction 'clean' again.

It's not rocket science. You don't need to make huge system-wide changes to the auctions. Just clean it up. Even with a little manual manpower. Start today.

Thank you very much for your time. Now I have to go eat my orange.

Last edited:
•••
It shows in your account still but you can't recover it. Is that a thing?? Contact GoDaddy

Last edited:
•••
It shows in your account still but you can't recover it. Is that a thing?? Contact GoDaddy

Had contacted and they told it was removed because of expiration and auction. But I was able to see while logging into my account on the front page with options to Add Logo, Get costume email etc. for a few days. But couldn't find that in my domain list. After some 42 days of expiration got the final email about domain being removed from my account. Now I don't see as before.

Seems like while in auction, it was removed from account but not fully.

•••
YourFace.com - bid up to over $20K by two bidders, rolled back to under $4K winning bid yesterday. I had wanted to get into that bidding... but there was no point. It was shill bidding, obvious as the nose on 'your face'. Ha.

Here's what is crazy: the Godaddy team seems to be talking about making huge, sweeping changes throughout their auction process to make it more secure against shill bidding, fraud, rollbacks... if I were working in that company, in a position of power, and saw how much money we were losing every week, I can sit here for five minutes and solve the problem just through common sense.

It doesn't need huge, sweeping, changes. All the profit that can be made simply by stopping this shill bidding is huge. In one week, the company would make enough profit to literally pay a couple workers to do 2 or 4 hours of work each day, FOR A YEAR. Look through the daily list, find whatever looks like shill bidding (it is VERY obvious, not like looking for a needle in a haystack). Then they could do some very simple investigation, look at those shill bidders' histories, are they new members, have they had warnings before, have they paid high amounts for domains before, have they been involved with shill bids before, a handful of other stats on each bidder that can quite easily show whether they are shill or not.

Then immediately remove them from the auction, ban their accounts, ban their IP addresses and personal deets (in other words, take a zero-tolerance stance against shill bidders), and let the auction play out the rest of its time. Damn, that would be such a simple, quick, effective, and profitable way to solve this. Just appoint a couple of their workers to look into the shill auctions each day and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. They could start today, and we'd never have to see another rollback again. Then we would actually see something being done, and trust the auction again.

Instead, it goes on and on and on. I don't even bid there anymore. The shills/rollbacks have become rampant, like cancer in the GD auctions.

Here's one of the worst parts, as far as destroying our trust: instead of giving actual clear details that make sense, about what they are doing to stop the problem... it's like they hired a 16-year-old and told him/her to write some schlock on Namepros to get our trust back. Almost looks like they said: "Don't say anything, don't give any details, just spin some rhetoric! That'll make them feel better!"

So a couple pages back, we see their post with nonsense rhetoric like "GoDaddy has always condemned shill bidding, and we have stringent measures in place to detect and penalize it." "ramping up our efforts to ensure GoDaddy Auctions remains the trusted platform you rely on." "implemented additional manual processes that put greater scrutiny on potential shill bidders. "developing enhanced verification methods to tackle this comprehensively."

It's kind of offensive to us intelligent domainers, that they actually think their vague rhetoric in any way improves our trust. That they think we are so dull as to be reassured by those trite, almost meaningless phrases they used... and then we watch these kinds of shockingly obvious, and huge, abuses of their auction system... day after day after day.

Shill bidding is a serious problem, costing GD tens of thousands of $$ profit each week, at least from what I can see there. And it's costing them bidding customers, like me, who just won't bother with using them anymore until I see some kind of improvement, some kind of obvious and real-world action taken to stop the shills.

If the problem is rectified, just one week of no rollbacks can pay wages for a couple workers FOR A YEAR to look into the shill bidding every day, for a short time, do a little investigation, ban some accounts, hand out some warnings, remove the shill bids, get each auction 'clean' again.

It's not rocket science. You don't need to make huge system-wide changes to the auctions. Just clean it up. Even with a little manual manpower. Start today.

Thank you very much for your time. Now I have to go eat my orange.

When was that rollback happened ? After 3 days when winning bidder didn't pay ?

While curiously exploring, I found few interesting things about some domains. The below domains are now in redemption period. Means the auctions sales didn't finalize and the sales reports now stand untrue.

Could anyone elaborate a little ?

MAGNIFY360.COM last sold for $7,466 on 2023-08-30 at GoDaddy​

TAQUERIALAVENGANZA.COM last sold for $6,077 on 2023-08-25 at GoDaddy​

Above 2 were registered at GoDaddy.

Below domains were not registered at GoDaddy.

WORLDWIDEMART.COM last sold for $31,476 on 2023-08-30 at GoDaddy​

ROBOTDYN.COM last sold for $9,540 on 2023-09-01 at GoDaddy​

BESTWRITINGADVISOR.COM last sold for $22,130 on 2023-08-30 at GoDaddy​

ILPUNTONTC.COM last sold for $5,966 on 2023-09-02 at GoDaddy​

Last edited:
•••
5065.com from $20,250 to $15…

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back