IT.COM

auctions GoDaddy Expired Auctions can be tricked

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Furquan

JokerTop Member
Impact
Twitter user and Chinese domain investor posted that Godaddy Auctions allows people to use two bidder accounts on the same name and a lot of people are using it for tricking the auctions.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
5065.com from $20,250 to $15…
:facepalm:

@GoDaddy is making a mockery of domain auctions.

People are paying more for GoDaddy closeouts than scammers are paying for (5) figure domains.

There seems to be no actual sense of urgency to address this fraud.

Unless there is some hidden benefit to GoDaddy, like inflating the revenue when it comes to accounting or there are some insider shenanigans, the lack of action on this doesn't make any sense.

The amount of income this is costing GoDaddy in a couple weeks is likely higher than dedicating the resources to actually fix it.

GoDaddy has the data and could follow the trail to track down who is abusing the system.

If the rollback is automated, that is an issue.

If it was manual, it means someone at GoDaddy actually looked at this and thought $15 was reasonable.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You will also notice that no one associated with GoDaddy is denying these rollbacks are happening.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Fifteen dollars.
Was that purchased finalized or not ?

Could you please tell when rollbacks do happen ?

How to know such happenings ?

Also are rollback prices updated on NameBio regularly ?

Thanks

•••
You will also notice that no one associated with GoDaddy is denying these rollbacks are happening.

Brad

This is craziness.
So much potential with GD running auctions
yet SO MUCH blatant manipulation of the system.
I can't believe they aren't tackling this head on... right now.

•••
I know how to fix it.
It's super easy.

Will I tell GD, probably not ;D
Will I start a new auction site that's better.... meh, probably not :D

GD doesn't seem to want any help - and they certainly don't need me...
They're doing just fine without me :D

But I do have the answer and it would clean this up in 2 minutes and
make people WANT to buy and sell there.

As of now I'm NEVER going to consider buying an auction name there with this going on.

•••
1. GoDaddy has the data and could follow the trail to track down who is abusing the system.

2. If the rollback is automated, that is an issue.

1. Nope, Only if the entire API goes offline and then 1 by 1 open/allowed again, they'll figure out where & how but not who's behind.

2. Automated, with little to zero human touch

Regards

•••
1. Nope, Only if the entire API goes offline and then 1 by 1 open/allowed again, they'll figure out where & how but not who's behind.

2. Automated, with little to zero human touch

Regards
I mean they can track where the domains end up.

Are they eventually ending up in the same handful of accounts?

If so, that party is likely to be involved in the scheme.

I highly doubt it just a bunch of random people doing it. It is more than likely organized with the same parties benefitting over and over again.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I mean they can track where the domains end up.

Are they eventually ending up in the same handful of accounts?

If so, that party is likely to be involved in the scheme.

Brad
This is premeditated "scam" and a long time before started in 2019. My 1st eye-on was in Sept 2019 and the first thing that come in my mind was: H*sh*t , they opened 1000s of fake GD accounts and the operation is running via GA API. I & co, we started to track and trace and most of DN ended in CN. THEN, copy cats come out but not so so organized as a ping pong teams. I'm not going to post the tactics they used in the past and nowadays bc we invested our resources into something that the biggest elephant in the Domain Industry is not willing to fix and change the auction algo. Since Dec 2019 I never participated in ANY auction incl. NJ shitshow (except @ NP), where a bunch of prominent Pro's played/playing badminton. (some are under ICA membership oath ... anyway I don't care ) .

Regards

Last edited:
•••
:facepalm:

@GoDaddy is making a mockery of domain auctions.

People are paying more for GoDaddy closeouts than scammers are paying for (5) figure domains.

There seems to be no actual sense of urgency to address this fraud.

Unless there is some hidden benefit to GoDaddy, like inflating the revenue when it comes to accounting or there are some insider shenanigans, the lack of action on this doesn't make any sense.

The amount of income this is costing GoDaddy in a couple weeks is likely higher than dedicating the resources to actually fix it.

GoDaddy has the data and could follow the trail to track down who is abusing the system.

If the rollback is automated, that is an issue.

If it was manual, it means someone at GoDaddy actually looked at this and thought $15 was reasonable.

Brad

While we do not discuss sales prices at GoDaddy Auctions, this auction did end on 8/12, a couple of weeks prior to us ramping up our manual efforts, which are identifying and taking action on any accounts that are suspected of shill bidding. We have more that we are planning and implementing both in the next few months and longer term.

We take the integrity and trust of GoDaddy Auctions with the utmost sincerity, and we will always continue to maintain and develop a safe environment for domain name buying and selling.

•••
and we will always continue to maintain and develop a safe environment for domain name buying and selling.

I'm not pointing anything at you the @ NP member account , .... just to tell this:

GD is running ... public & commercial (money involve) LIVE auction on BETA sys. Who on earth can 101% trust the platform that is using customers (not me) as a Lab Rabbits 🐇 (for free aka not paid) for the testing purpose.

auctions.godaddy.com/beta

+ plus:

The brain that came out w an idea to "allow" the Minimum offer to be under the Floor / Reserve should get a 5 years course in marketing/sales for free.

@ AN Floor / Reserve is $15K & AN min offer is $20 but the min offer @ GD is $13650 ... Go Figure...

23.png

IMO

Regards

Last edited:
•••
While we do not discuss sales prices at GoDaddy Auctions, this auction did end on 8/12, a couple of weeks prior to us ramping up our manual efforts, which are identifying and taking action on any accounts that are suspected of shill bidding. We have more that we are planning and implementing both in the next few months and longer term.

We take the integrity and trust of GoDaddy Auctions with the utmost sincerity, and we will always continue to maintain and develop a safe environment for domain name buying and selling.
Easy solution, if not paid, the domain will be re-auctioned!

•••
re-auctioned!

Translation:

It means letting go of control and customers expectations/trust goes zero ... believing that things will work out as they should at the 1st round? ... the whole auction business is in jeopardy. But the ping pong teams already tested re-auctions @ another platform and I'm sure there's more of magic tricks ... waiting to be deployed.

Pre-Paid Credit cards are perfect for magicians and bidders - Now you see the money ( CC ping w 10 cents) & you verify the account, a few min later (2nd CC ping w 5-10 dollars)... you don't see the money.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Easy solution, if not paid, the domain will be re-auctioned!

Re-auctioning, while an intuitive solution, isn't a foolproof method when taken on its own, especially when coupled with the issue of shill bidding. Let's use the example of ABC.com being auctioned. If I'm one of the bidders and the price surges beyond my budget, I might be tempted to employ shill bidding tactics to ensure the domain isn't sold.

I could use auxiliary accounts to artificially drive up the bid. This could potentially exhaust legitimate bidders, who might grow weary of the repeated games and withdraw. I would do this until the legitimate buyers lose interest or the price is in my range.

In a system like this, a domain could feasibly be re-auctioned countless times if a bidder consistently manipulates the process. To truly combat this issue, a blend of strategies, including re-auctioning, issuing warnings, and implementing bans, may be necessary.

•••
re-auctioning, issuing warnings, and implementing bans

This is it! And also give your passport/id etc. to identify to create new accounts, only 1 account per person allowed. Dropcatch is strict, and so is NameJet.

•••
Could someone please explain how and when Godaddy auction rollbacks do happen ?

Are GoDaddy rollback prices being updated on NameBio regularly or not ?

•••
Did gifsoup.com sell for the 21350 final bid?

•••
jone.com$30,0509/19/2023Godaddy

This "completed" auction is conspicuously missing from the latest (daily) auctions results posting.

It does appear on shortnames.com, however.

To add to the mystery, jone.com "sold" to highest bidder at $9700 on 7/26/23 (should we assume non-payer?).

More garbage duty perhaps?

Last edited:
•••
Could someone please explain how and when Godaddy auction rollbacks do happen ?

You had better be prepared to put that "someone" on salary...

•••
•••
•••
Did gifsoup.com sell for the 21350 final bid?
Nope, it was rolled back to $120.

Some other rollbacks since my last post:

MoonDog.com from $12,500 to $10.
MillionDollarIdeas.com from $7,200 to $515.
X8Bet.com from $67,666 to $10.
MyUniversity.com from $12,150 to $22.
AdPerk.com from $5,800 to $10.
UnleashedLife.com from $4,000 to $35.
FloHome.com from $30,278 to $25.
0241.com from $35,005 to $5,300.

GoDaddy would be doing themselves a huge favor if they would acknowledge that the rollback system is fundamentally flawed, and stop being content with band aids like manual policing.

•••
Nope, it was rolled back to $120.

Some other rollbacks since my last post:

MoonDog.com from $12,500 to $10.
MillionDollarIdeas.com from $7,200 to $515.
X8Bet.com from $67,666 to $10.
AdPerk.com from $5,800 to $10.
UnleashedLife.com from $4,000 to $35.
FloHome.com from $30,278 to $25.
0241.com from $35,005 to $5,300.

GoDaddy would be doing themselves a huge favor if they would acknowledge that the rollback system is fundamentally flawed, and stop being content with band aids like manual policing.
Unreal.

I am done bidding on GoDaddy, period. The scammers can have the venue.

@GoDaddy has barely acknowledged this very serious issue that has gone on for years and has done very little, if anything, to fix it.

If the rollbacks are automated, well that is an issue as the system is rife for abuse.

If they are manual, it means someone @GoDaddy is actually looking at these rollbacks and approving them.

Why has this still not been fixed?

Is this really just a case of sheer incompetence?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

What would be the reason for Godaddy to let this "issue" keep going on?

The solution is quite simple. If the winning bider doesn't pay, ban them for life at GD auctions, give the chance to the second highest bid to pay. If they don't want it, repeat the auction if possible. If not possible, let the domain expire.

But don't do what they are currently doing, because that's just a joke.

If they don't solve this issue, it's either because they are too "lazy", or they are just fine with what's happening.

Last edited:
•••
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

What would be the reason for Godaddy to let this "issue" keep going on?

The solution is quite simple. If the winning bider doesn't pay, ban them for life at GD auctions, give the chance to the second highest bid to pay. If they don't want it, repeat the auction if possible. If not possisble, let the domain expire.

But don't do what they are currently doing, because that's just a joke.

If they don't solve this issue, it's either because they are too "lazy", or they are just fine with what's happening.
At first glance it doesn't seem like there would be a benefit, unless it is related to accounting shenanigans of some type.

This is a company worth $10B+. It is inconceivable that GoDaddy doesn't have the resources to fix this.

So then the question is, why are they not fixing it?

GoDaddy shareholders should not be happy about this.

GoDaddy is essentially taking money out their own pockets (and from shareholders) and giving it to scammers, by selling these assets for well below market value. It has been going on for years.

In fact, maybe it is about time to contact Investor Relations. Let's see if they want to make a statement about this ongoing fraud that is directly hurting their shareholders.

Investor Relations - [email protected]

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I'd take MoonDog.com for $10 or even $12, ngl :-P

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back