IT.COM

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The more I think about this, the more unhappy it makes me.

•••
It has been quite a day and it is far from over.

These are fascinating times in the world, and domains still matter. Epik is keen to empower all that we can for as long as we can. The oligarchs that aim to enslave do routinely seek to slow us down.

May the Lord continue to guide our steps, and allow us to be in the right place in the right time. For folks who choose Epik, now that we are doing our best to keep up.

Our plan is to stay independent and to be owned by sovereign individuals. If folks are seeking investor information, please don't contact me directly but rather email to [email protected] for details about that topic.

God bless you all.

Epik could actually disrupt the 'battlefield' if they decided to let go of some of their old ways.

You've got a registrar, you've got a marketplace. Decent Landers. Able to work on low commission.

All the ingredients are there if it wasn't for a tarnished brand.

With the right rebranding and repositioning you can easily change that around and challenge the status quo... There's so much untapped potential.

Last edited:
•••
Epik could actually disrupt the 'battlefield' if they decided to let go of some of their old ways.

You've got a registrar, you've got a marketplace. Decent Landers. Able to work on low comission.

All the ingredients are there if it wasn't for a tarnished brand.

With the right rebranding and repositioning you can easily change that around and challenge the status quo... There's so much untapped potential.
The thing is that Epik tried to acquire this same company a couple of years ago, but did not deliver. It would've been a success story otherwise. A missed opportunity that cannot easily be corrected with any ambitious posting by the same CEO in this thread.

•••
The thing is that Epik tried to acquire this same company a couple of years ago, but did not deliver. It would've been a success story otherwise. A missed opportunity that cannot easily be corrected with any ambitious posting by the same CEO in this thread.

I agree. But they have the one thing Dan was lacking (well, public facing anyway) and that's a registrar.

It will take years (a decade even) to build a platform as sophisticated as what Dan has delivered.

The way Epik operates now will never give them the opportunity to advance to the 'big league'. There's still time.... If they'd put their mind to it.

Anyway, I'm not giving up on Dan just yet. Let's see how this evolves...

•••
Leave Dan alone, please! Part of afternic’s success may be how disciplined you kept them as a stand-alone.

Do the same for DAN! Have special thing…

Last edited:
•••
Always have a backup plan. Plan B.

Last edited:
•••
OK well that is back to Sedo for me, just for the higher profile and exposure. I just don't trust Godaddy due to historical reasoning and experience. They being the bigger dog will dictate the future this so called new partnership

•••
OK well that is back to Sedo for me, just for the higher profile and exposure. I just don't trust Godaddy due to historical reasoning and experience. They being the bigger dog will dictate the future this so called new partnership
Sedo: one place that is worse technically than Afternic, and has worse customer service. Not to mention, when I had all my names listed at Afternic, Dan, and Sedo, I only sold about 5% of my names there. At most.

•••
Always have a backup plan. Plan B.
Yeh, my backup is back to my personal landers on own site, should things get wonky. Basically for me, when I switched to Dan last November to test, was happy that though my sell-thru didn't change much, the ease of the transaction was worth the extra dollars in commission.

Dan is truly phenomenal, a well-oiled machine that stands apart from anything else.

If we jump to 20% or whatever after this acquisition, I much prefer the extra work, basically just a couple more emails back and forth with the buyer, on a personal site than exorbitant commissions.. and who knows what else.

Pointless in jumping the gun though, maybe things will remain smooth and worthwhile as they currently are. Or is that naivetivity?

•••
•••
•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
It would be cool if NamePros can create landers for us with no commission, because here is the only place where auctions are commission free that I know off.
1656457627189.png

•••

These are fascinating times in the world, and domains still matter. Epik is keen to empower all that we can for as long as we can. The oligarchs that aim to enslave do routinely seek to slow us down.

May the Lord continue to guide our steps, and allow us to be in the right place in the right time. For folks who choose Epik, now that we are doing our best to keep up.

Our plan is to stay independent and to be owned by sovereign individuals. If folks are seeking investor information, please don't contact me directly but rather email to [email protected] for details about that topic.

God bless you all.
You don’t give up do you? Insert email for advertising is called SPAM and not allowed in this type of thread. By now people should know your company was hacked and exposed thousand of customers data.

•••
If Epik can seriously work on making their landers more beautiful, they have my whole business. @Rob Monster

•••
Still dont know good or bad news. Until this question answered:
Does the commission still remain 9%, and 5% for lead?

•••
If Epik can seriously work on making their landers more beautiful, they have my whole business. @Rob Monster
They can’t have your whole business only the names regged at Epik will receive 9% per Robs post on Twitter today.

Last edited:
•••
I love DAN for its Google Analytics. Being able to see instantly what domains are being viewed (DAN "Views", "Recently Viewed sort"). The GA itself to see the type of viewer, location, etc. Zero bounce rates, plus being able to see what device or browser used helps to see if they are humans or bots. I hope they dont lose that.

•••
If things change, nameservers are easy to move.

Don't really care TBH. Dan's payout and support was great but someone else will arise.

•••
Ohh noo. Now I need to change my outbound strategy.

•••
Leave Dan alone, please! Part of afternic’s success may be how disciplined you kept them as a stand-alone.

Do the same for DAN! Have special thing…

A great idea. GoDaddy has experience with a multi-brand strategy like this. For example, Wild West Domains is still in operation, including an active website where CEO Aman Bhutani and his C-suite team are mentioned in the About section. See https://www.wildwestdomains.com/about-us => Meet Our Team.

A multi-brand strategy with Dan.com can have pros and cons. I am not in a position to advise GoDaddy on their strategic choices in this regard. I do think that something like this could definitely be interesting for the company.

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 02-59-12 Wild West Domains.png

Last edited:
•••
Dan investors want their money now for some reason... Recession?

•••
That is a bit cryptic...what else might be coming?!?!

Epik is still my marketplace of choice...wouldn't now be a great time to discount from 9% to 5% to encourage those leaving Dan to list on the Epik marketplace? Just a thought...maybe do it for a month or two.

Also, is there a transfer deal on the horizon? There are still a few domains I'd like to move...I will keep an eye on the Epik thread so you do not have to post anything in this thread that might be off topic.

It has been whispered for a while Godaddy was acquiring someone of note and it seems the Dan buyout fits the bill...are there any 'back room' discussions you have been privy to suggesting another buyout? I've heard there is still another acquisition coming and someone has mentioned the name of a potential party in this thread already.

•••
I don't think GoDaddy wants anything to do with Epik and their history. There is too much in the way of politics and drama for them to want to deal with.

Brad
As more and more people come to despise woke culture, things can change rapidly.

•••
Ideally, if GoDaddy keeps all the DAN advantages as is, and also integrates with their existing network, it'll actually be good for domainers. However, in the real world, less competition always leads to worse results eventually.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back