Dynadot

discuss Hand reg is your friend, no matter what others say

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Dear beginners,

Everyone here was a beginner when they started investing. Not everyone starts domain investing with $5,000. Especially for people who are from developing countries, $5,000 is like 2 years of groceries. In fact, that is one of the reasons why domain investing is one of the most attractive businesses. You can start off with literally $500 or maybe $100 even.

Especially for people starting off with less than $500
Trust me, no matter what people say, it makes sense that when you are starting off, you go for hand registration and control your sales rather than sit on a number of names in your first year, waiting for the buyer to come and press the BIN button. So, I would advise you to go for hand-registration names in the beginning and control your destiny by selling them via outbound, or active reach out.

As you start making some sales, and you have a spare $1,000 apart from some cash flow, you can start getting in more liquid names - 4L .COMs, experiment with .CO, .XYZ and so on. But start with something you can sell actively!

Do let me know if you have any questions about hand registration.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let's be honest here. The vast majority of newcomers decide to jump into it because they think (and hope) it's a fast and easy way to pretty much turn a $10 investment (4 bus tickets) into a 4 figures (monthly rent) sale. Is it realistic?

The truth is...

Selling domains you just registered is easy. A sale is a sale, no matter if there's profit or not...

Selling domains you just registered on a consistent basis in order to make your practice profitable is hard.
I never said it's a fast and easy way to make a buck....far from it. Like making two holes in one in one year when you're a 20 handicap golfer....much of that was luck, but if you're not in the game you have no chance at all. I've been at this domain game for four years now and I've learned a lot, especially the fact that some so called domainers don't believe like I do there has to be a better way. You might say the deck (aftermarket) is stacked against most beginners, but I have way to much practical business experience to fall for their crap. Let me provide an example, I've recently been registering about 500 .link domains over the last few weeks. Why so? Because the majority of the .link domains I've been registering have a corresponding exact match .com that's either way overpriced for the average "end user", or it's in use for a website that's neither trademarked or being used for a sole purpose. And therein lies a huge opportunity as i see it.

Moving on, i happened to register "in good faith" "5" .link domains (unbeknown to me) that had "Spam" issues associated with them. I purchased these domains from Namecheap, and their legal office demanded they be returned with no refund coming back to me. WTF??? That's the equivalent of a legitimate car dealer selling you a stolen car, demanding that you return it, and refusing to give you your money back. In their defense the .link domains originate from the owners of the .link registry so maybe that's who I should go after for my money, but they too are denying responsibility....WTF??? DeJa Vu all over again as Yogi Berra would say. All I know is that I'm owed money from someone and I can promise that someone will pay or there will be hell to pay.

Finally, i see opportunity in all this mess. I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to how the domain aftermarket works to the benefit of anyone other than greedy domainers......beginners Beware :xf.wink:

•••
I think it would be really difficult to sell hand regged domains via outbound or active reach out. Success rate would be one in thousand maybe?
You're right, especially the way we're led to believe how this industry is suppose to work. Having started and named dozens of businesses since 1970, i know for a fact I'm pretty good at it. Since discovering the domain industry over four years ago i've hand regged thousands of otherwise great names, some of which are .coms and others new gTLD's. All that's needed is to educate the "end user" world how utterly stupid this industry truly is:xf.wink:

To show you or anyone reading this, simply key into your address bar; PraiseGod.com and you'll see what I mean. btw, this is just one of thousands of examples i'm able to show a potential "end user".

Stupidity equates to OPPORTUNITY:xf.grin:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back