Dynadot

opinion Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

NameSilo
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
Admittedly, this may be somewhat a sensationalized title. But hand registering is only a bridge or gateway to investing in domains. This article discusses why. What are your thoughts? Looking forward to them. Here is the link to the article:

Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have sold hand registered domains for over 10,000% their annual renewal cost. But at this point the domains have been renewed for multiple years, so the actual profit is significantly lower.

will not even start to read an article, where the investor can't do math

Last edited:
•••
I invest in names previously registered.
Great explanation above. By @F.E.
Cant add quotes to edit

Last edited:
•••
I didn't take the time to read through all the posts, but I think hand-regging is not considered 'investing' 'cause in typical investing, you invest in companies that are already public, successful, and listed on the stock exchanges. So when you're hand-regging, you are not 'investing' in that sense 'cause you're essentially trying to invest in 'nothing' (from a "purist's" point of view) .. nothing already exists.. in contrast to what's available in the aftermarket.. those domains already exist.. and so, there's 'something', and so from that perspective hand-regging is not investing.
Secondly, the reason it is not considered investing has to do with your time horizon. Actually, hand-regging is pure investing for those old domain names (like one word dictionary names) that sold for millions of dollars 'cause the buyers held onto them for many many years. So that's pure investing, 'cause when you invest, you typically do it for the long term (think Warren Buffet). So hand-regging is not considered investment if you plan to get rid of them (sell them) and not hold onto them for many many years so that they 'mature' and become valuable over time. Typically, hand-regged domain names are available not because they have no intrinsic value, but because the time horizon is still far away, from them being 'in the trend', or from them being 'in the now', where their immediate or practical value that everyone can see and agree on is there conspicuously for all to see. You see value in the aftermarket domain names (aged names) and 'invest' in them 'cause the time horizon for them is 'just around the corner' .. like you know according to the current market trend/demand, that they are valuable, and 'invest' in them, so that in a few months or maybe a couple years of holding onto them, a buyer will come along and buy it, 'cause the demand is there right now.. it's just a matter of finding the right buyer who will pay premium for the domain so that you profit from it, which will probably take time. So because of it taking time in that way, it is considered 'investing'... coupled with the fact that those domains are 'aged', and so they are 'investable' (the first point). Now, this definition of investing is kind of different than the typical meaning of investing in companies etc. It is investing 'cause you're just waiting for the right buyer to show up, and it takes time for that to happen. You can see the immediate value in the domain right now.. you don't need convincing, and other people would see it too, right now.. it's just a matter of finding a buyer who will pay premium for it, or more than what you bought it for, to make it worthwhile or _sustainable_ (suggests buying aftermarket domains is actually not investing, as per the normal definition).

Last edited:
•••
Any action you do with the intent of one day making a profit from it is investing. You could win or lose, but it's still investing.

•••
if you handreg your domains in growing niches (web3, meta, nft, crypto) for sure you have more chance of being successful than in other niches.

•••
I think it is clear that all valuable domains were once hand-registered
Can we say registering Fire.com in the 90s or Pay.io before the .io boom is not domain investing?
Even many .xyz hand-registered 2-3 years ago worth a lot of money now
So yes, I would say that any hand-regging with hopes of value appreciation is domain investing
It can be successful or not, just like any other investment, and that's the main question

•••
@twiki bro just to forget to mention here, last few hand reggd I sold are:

PlanSpy.com
WorkHug.com
Authorizy.com
YouMoves.com
Gamcy.com
Geekley.com
Guardey.com
Cardoy.com

and few more in last few months.

;)

•••
@twiki bro just to forget to mention here, last few hand reggd I sold are:

PlanSpy.com
WorkHug.com
Authorizy.com
YouMoves.com
Gamcy.com
Geekley.com
Guardey.com
Cardoy.com

and few more in last few months.

;)

would you mind to share the prices sold for please !?

•••
2999 usd for all, all hand reggd recently .. some of my new hand reggs for today are:

FamousPlan.com
IntelDream.com
DualFarm.com
MightyAge.com
UpSavers.com
PlanCharge.com
PartnerNext.com
PlanCraze.com
Fundtize.com
FundGross.com
Zamaster.com
PlayerTrip.com
MartAction.com
EternaliQ.com
Defenday.com
Purtix.com
Purvix.com
Ofext.com
Ofrox.com
Safeck.com
ExcellentGo.com
Defendax.com
UpTales.com
SystemClan.com
WinFairy.com
OrderDream.com
IdealLaunch.com

and 50's more :) .. things going good for me touching 20k in sales a month with mostly hand reggs :)

•••
some of my recent last yesterday closeouts are:

Mergect.com
Greply.com
Convetics.com
Relabor.com
FrontAnchor.com
Exotin.com
Tutorialy.com
Insuplex.com
InvestReach.com
Defendez.com
Migrai.com
Mevero.com
TopStrive.com
HuntBest.com
YehUp.com

•••
some more recent hand reggs:
DeepDonor.com
Viperey.com
PlanDive.com
Demarkey.com
Injectey.com
Champize.com
DeepCush.com
Convetes.com
Healner.com
PlanUse.com
WealthBoot.com
Lavishey.com
Deluxcy.com
WorkClassic.com
Mergeta.com
PlanKiss.com
DeepClash.com
Robustey.com
Medizey.com
DeluxJoy.com
Fitlics.com
DeepPull.com
Robustax.com
Contrig.com
Totaley.com
Safage.com
FarmCodes.com

•••
I do not know what people say to my hand reggs, but it works for me and I am open to hearing critics and would love to go deeper with better strong names.

•••
2999 usd for all, all hand reggd recently .. some of my new hand reggs for today are:

FamousPlan.com
IntelDream.com
DualFarm.com
MightyAge.com
UpSavers.com
PlanCharge.com
PartnerNext.com
PlanCraze.com
Fundtize.com
FundGross.com
Zamaster.com
PlayerTrip.com
MartAction.com
EternaliQ.com
Defenday.com
Purtix.com
Purvix.com
Ofext.com
Ofrox.com
Safeck.com
ExcellentGo.com
Defendax.com
UpTales.com
SystemClan.com
WinFairy.com
OrderDream.com
IdealLaunch.com

and 50's more :) .. things going good for me touching 20k in sales a month with mostly hand reggs :)

Gongrats for your sales :xf.smile:
i think what help in increasing your sales is that you sell at low XXX range .

Last edited:
•••
nah nah .. see my prices:

DeepComfy.com
1799​
Mergect.com
2499​
Greply.com
8699​
Convetics.com
3299​
Relabor.com
3299​
FrontAnchor.com
2299​
Exotin.com
8699​
Tutorialy.com
3299​
Insuplex.com
2299​
InvestReach.com
2699​
Defendez.com
2799​
Migrai.com
2499​
Mevero.com
4499​
TopStrive.com
2499​
HuntBest.com
2699​
YehUp.com
2799​
Xish.com
44999​

•••
Please tell me if my prices seems less ?? I can move them up...

Nextganics.com
2688​
VaultAsset.com
3888​
Omgfy.com
3988​
DealFounder.com
2488​
Clinicey.com
4688​
CannaDrug.com
4688​
Deepense.com
2988​
Omegta.com
2688​
Communers.com
2988​
Hugfy.com
3488​
AcctID.com
3488​
Whipey.com
4688​
Hiveria.com
4688​
EternalFoods.com
3488​
Spectego.com
2688​
Validina.com
2488​
Terracone.com
2488​
VitalPerks.com
3488​
Heckta.com
2488​
Guestey.com
2888​
Convud.com
1988​
Systice.com
2488​
WealthBreed.com
2688​
LearnFreak.com
2688​
CultGo.com
2688​
Refixey.com
2488​
DeepAlter.com
3488​
Crewta.com
2488​
Deluxter.com
1988​
BulkEdge.com
2488​
PlanCrafts.com
2388​
Vaultsa.com
2988​
WorkJury.com
2688​
SaleDive.com
2988​
Trapey.com
2988​
Convetai.com
3488​
Oregis.com
2688​
VaultFront.com
2688​
Correctex.com
8888​
Tactey.com
4688​

•••
nah nah .. see my prices:

DeepComfy.com
1799​
Mergect.com
2499​
Greply.com
8699​
Convetics.com
3299​
Relabor.com
3299​
FrontAnchor.com
2299​
Exotin.com
8699​
Tutorialy.com
3299​
Insuplex.com
2299​
InvestReach.com
2699​
Defendez.com
2799​
Migrai.com
2499​
Mevero.com
4499​
TopStrive.com
2499​
HuntBest.com
2699​
YehUp.com
2799​
Xish.com
44999​

Congrats again :xf.smile:
They are good , not top quality and not low quality domains ,
But let me now assume that what help increasing the sales is the quantity !
Thousands of domains you have :xf.wink:

•••
Congrats again :xf.smile:
They are good , not top quality and not low quality domains ,
But let me now assume that what help increasing the sales is the quantity !
Thousands of domains you have :xf.wink:

Yes bro, going to touch soon 10k names.

Plan is to make 250k net in profit a year, that is all.

•••

now i got it :xf.wink:
i wish you more success and to see more reported sales by you at the near future . (y)

•••
now i got it :xf.wink:
i wish you more success and to see more reported sales by you at the near future . (y)

Thank you bro, currently it's 7-8 sales a month, okay sure, I am not reporting much due to a lot of work but wil definitely after some free time will do!

•••
Please tell me if my prices seems less ?? I can move them up...

Nextganics.com
2688​
VaultAsset.com
3888​
Omgfy.com
3988​
DealFounder.com
2488​
Clinicey.com
4688​
CannaDrug.com
4688​
Deepense.com
2988​
Omegta.com
2688​
Communers.com
2988​
Hugfy.com
3488​
AcctID.com
3488​
Whipey.com
4688​
Hiveria.com
4688​
EternalFoods.com
3488​
Spectego.com
2688​
Validina.com
2488​
Terracone.com
2488​
VitalPerks.com
3488​
Heckta.com
2488​
Guestey.com
2888​
Convud.com
1988​
Systice.com
2488​
WealthBreed.com
2688​
LearnFreak.com
2688​
CultGo.com
2688​
Refixey.com
2488​
DeepAlter.com
3488​
Crewta.com
2488​
Deluxter.com
1988​
BulkEdge.com
2488​
PlanCrafts.com
2388​
Vaultsa.com
2988​
WorkJury.com
2688​
SaleDive.com
2988​
Trapey.com
2988​
Convetai.com
3488​
Oregis.com
2688​
VaultFront.com
2688​
Correctex.com
8888​
Tactey.com
4688​

Why you just let them parked and not using any sales landing page ?

•••
The article is well written, but I don't really agree with the premise.

I do agree that for investing it needs to be with a reasonable expectation of return on investment. Too many hand registrations did not go through a careful evaluation process.

But I don't see whether you are the first to register the name, picked it up after others owned it in past and let it drop, bid on it in an expired auction, or purchased it from another investor is the critical point. The key point is does the name have value and you have reasonable expectations on a profit, considered statistically over a basket of names.

Even the time frame is not necessarily the key point. Many view holding any worthy name for 10 years, or something like that, but for others the investment horizon is shorter. It is not really different from different types of stock investing, everything from day trading to lifetime holds.

So I think the amount of care in whether a domain is a reasonable investment in terms of probability of sale and price is the key point, not how the name is obtained or how long it is held.

Thanks for the article to stir all of the great discussion in this thread.

Bob

•••
The article is well written, but I don't really agree with the premise.

I do agree that for investing it needs to be with a reasonable expectation of return on investment. Too many hand registrations did not go through a careful evaluation process.

But I don't see whether you are the first to register the name, picked it up after others owned it in past and let it drop, bid on it in an expired auction, or purchased it from another investor is the critical point. The key point is does the name have value and you have reasonable expectations on a profit, considered statistically over a basket of names.

Even the time frame is not necessarily the key point. Many view holding any worthy name for 10 years, or something like that, but for others the investment horizon is shorter. It is not really different from different types of stock investing, everything from day trading to lifetime holds.

So I think the amount of care in whether a domain is a reasonable investment in terms of probability of sale and price is the key point, not how the name is obtained or how long it is held.

Thanks for the article to stir all of the great discussion in this thread.

Bob
I'm just curious, what types of domains do you sell? This would be invaluable information for us kind of newbies since you are producing a huge volume of research content for our consumption. I searched your sales at NP, but I couldn't find them. Thank you.

•••
I sold four domains in three months out of seven thousand portfolio. Those are all hand registered domains. However, I could not sell domains acquired from expired auction markets until the date even though I have approximately 180 domains in my portfolio.

•••
I sold four domains in three months out of seven thousand portfolio. Those are all hand registered domains. However, I could not sell domains acquired from expired auction markets until the date even though I have approximately 180 domains in my portfolio.

May I ask, are you covering your costs?

This seem a quite low sales ratio ( .2% ) , and at this level you can't be profitable unless you sell each domain for quite some high numbers, mid 4-fig at least

I get the same number of sales from a couple hundred names batch, example, my meta names.

Expired auction: Get better names, OR adjust your pricing if price is the issue.

Note: Bob posts his sales now and then in the sales thread but not each day.

•••

Wow! Since you said your strategy is working for you, l wish you good luck. But if my opinion counts for anything, you might need to reconsider what names you think are good and worth registering.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back