Dynadot

Here is my domaining story - Ask me your questions.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
Hi,

I've been having a great success in domaining ever since I started, already made 6 figs profit this year and had been doing great previously as well.

My domaining journey started about 4 years ago when I was 16-17 years old. I have had a great knack for everything related to technology etc, been playing games and using computers since I was 2 years old. I'm also lucky enough to belong to a well previliged family, studying in one of the best schools and colleges in my country.

Anyways, let's start off with my domaining story. I have been more into flipping ever since I began. The first domain that I sold was HoustonSwimSchool.com, bought for $10, sold for $320. I've sold many many geo domains since then and owing to this, I moved on forward with bigger domains. Domaining.com, DomainSherpa.com, Namepros.com and other domaining related websties were my daily dose of information and they helped me quite alot. I remember waiting eagerly for every DomainSherpa.com interview.

Some of the domains that I sold:

4 and 5 figs sales (sold every domain for profit except for 1 as I recall ):

few sales include(all of them are flips except for 1 or two):

Smaller.com - sold for $11k, bought for $2.5k , quick flip within a month
Gali.com - sold for $25k, bought for very low 4 figs , quick flip within a few days
Grew.com - sold for $11k, brokered it for original owner, quick flip within a few days
Write.com (sold recently) - sold for $190k, rest details private
xOnline.com - sold for $5.5k, bought for $500 , quick flip within a week
Studio55.com - sold for $2k, bought for mid 3 figs , inbound offer
VisualLabs.com sold for $2.5k, bought for mid 3 figs , flipped to reseller
LaptopParts.com sold for around $3k, bought for mid 3 figs , flipped to reseller
ProServices.com- sold for $2.5k, bought for $1700 figs , sold to reseller (flip)
TotalBody.com sold for $4.1k, bought for $3850 , negotiated after GD auction
Soez.com - sold for $2.5k, bought for $1000 , negotiated after GD auction
Proe.com- sold for MID 4 FIGS, bought for LOW 4 FIGS , Namejet auction
Cacc.com - sold for MID 4 FIGS, bought for LOW 4 FIGS , Namejet auction ( same as above)
Focl.com -sold for $900, bought for mid 3 figs , sold to reseller (flip)
AiPod -sold for $1k, bought for $69 , sold through inbound offer.

I have also made profit in geo domains usually sold 3/5 that I bought for low- high 2 figs and sold them for $200-$500.

And guys I DO NOT OWN A PORTFOLIO. I have been more of a flipper but now I'm thinking to build a portfolio since I have enough funds. You can make a living just through flipping domains.

And yes, I would love to answer any questions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congrats @NetworkPearl (y)
Thanks for sharing in detail.

You did fantastic job in buying those domains at good prices. However, I would say that you undersold most of them. However, I can understand this has to be done until you get financially stable and then build your portfolio and hold onto bigger domains.

Now is the time to buy and hold some of the top domains and keep flipping the rest until you stop flipping completely and focus on targeting endusers only.

•••
My story is similar to yours, I started my domain flipping career since 12 years old, and the accumulated earnings till 20 was about $300,000 USD, however, it was about 15 years ago (less competitive and easy to grab quality expired domains at that time.) Now I am 35 years old.

Last edited:
•••
Hi NetworkPearl. First of all, congratulations for your sale of Write.com and thanks for telling us your history!

As I see, there's one sale that clearly stands out over the rest, and that is that one.

And here, the key question would be: For how much you acquired that one? :)

In my opinion you could have sold this one to the right end user for 7 figures, not to mention the $30M of Voice.com

Anyway, $190k now is big money that you can use for whatever you want now, without having to what that end user.

I see now that it has been bought by a top domain reseller. He is going to put this one for sale clearly for 7 figures.

But as I say, $190k now is big money that will help you in whatever you want to do right now.

Again, thank you for your post, for reporting the big sale of Write.com and very big congratulations for the sale!
Hi it's not a good idea to sit on just 1 domain unless you own hundreds or thousands. The best option is to sell a domain and buy 3 similar domains which have a better chance of selling for more.

•••
Do you focus on acquisitions or hand regs?
Thanks for sharing.

the one who can read
clearly has some advantages

•••
Congratulations and I wish more sales coming in your way!
I play the quick flipping game and have/had tremendous success with it. Flipped many domains within 60 days like Leaking.com, Shooting.net, DispatchSoftware.com, so on.

Yeah, building a good portfolio is a great idea and I did the same. I have acquired HorizonLogistics.com for the right buyer and it paid me a low five-figure amount.

I suggest you to build a quality portfolio over quantity.

Last edited:
•••
That's interesting because quite a few domainers just seem to buy domains, list them and then not do anything at all to sell them. It shows what can be done if you actively try to sell them buy contacting potential end users, putting them up for auction, etc.

What about the domains that you didn't sell at auction. How did you find buyer's so quickly?
I usually mention in the Auction that offers can be sent to my whois. If the reserve is not met then usually people email me with offers and then we negotiate etc.

•••
Congrats on your sales and thanks for sharing your journey!

The write.com sale definitely stands out, and reading between the lines I believe you acquired that for five figures and flipped it for 190k. That's a very impressive buy more than an impressive sale.

That's the big leagues game -- if you have enough capital to present someone privately with a sizable offer on a name you know is worth much more, the work is mostly done for you. There are a couple of obvious domain investors who would pay high five-low six figures for that kind of name, so the challenge is finding people with great names who don't appreciate their value and would be impressed with a five figure offer.

So now that you have the capital to rinse and repeat, the question is - what are you going to buy next?

•••
Congratulations on your remarkable domaining journey and wish more to come.
My question and if you don't mind how did you ended up acquiring write.com - that's a real premium name.

Thank you again for sharing your story, I'm sure it will be an inspiration for lot of domainers.
Thanks, I had initially purchased Workstation.com and the seller asked if I was interested in write.com on which they were running a business before, I bought that too. My timing was perfect and had the funds to purchase it.

•••
where to buy domains? (low xxx - mid x,xxx)

80% of them are through private deals rest through auctions or pre release.

•••
What's your take on the new extensions?
And what changes have occurred in domaining now compared to the time you began?
Thanks
I have never bought any other domain aside from a .com and .nets Bought probably 1-3 .net in my entire domaining career. The .org extension might be good with certain keywords. I would prefer to stick with .com though.

•••
I am inspired by your story. I started domaining this year, I am yet to make a sale, I have been trying my hands on Geo domains picked from expireddomains.net. Hopefully, soon I will have a good domaining story to tell.

•••
It’s a good lesson for those guys still scrounging to make money off ninety nine cent hand regs that it’s often better to spend real money on quality domains for resale.

•••
I'm more impressed that you managed to rack up such a high profit for being relatively late to the "game". Reselling and flipping domains to end-users is nothing new, what did you think gave you that "extra" edge over other domainers?
I see people in all industries say that it's too late. It's too late to do Amazon FBA, It's too late to do dropshipping. It's too late to do domaining. Etc. It's never too late if you know what you're doing.

•••
You seem to have sold most domains very quickly. How did you manage to find buyers so quickly when the previous owner obviously couldn't?

Some you auctioned, so for those did you just realize that you could get more at auction than the current owner wanted for it? How did you get traffic to your auctions?

Almost every domain I bought has been bought for a price lower than the resell value, so I wasn’t losing anything. For instance I bought xOnline.com for $500. I knew this would get atleast $3k in GD auction so I put it on auction and was sold for $5.5k

if you have a good domain it would receive bids on GD/ Namejet anyways.

•••
Hi. So did you close the domain purchase talking by phone with the seller?
This is an interesting data.
I mention the phone number just in case, the email looks a bit more realistic. Every domain that I bought was through email contact. It’s also better to mention their company for instance if I want to purchase the domain xyz.con which is owned by a company called xyz Limited this would be the template I would use:

Hi [name of seller],

This is [name], I’m interested in purchasing the domain name xyz.com which is owned by your company, xyz Limited.

Is the domain for sale?

Regards,
[your name]
[phone number]

Last edited:
•••
Hi NetworkPearl. First of all, congratulations for your sale of Write.com and thanks for telling us your history!

As I see, there's one sale that clearly stands out over the rest, and that is that one.

And here, the key question would be: For how much you acquired that one? :)

In my opinion you could have sold this one to the right end user for 7 figures, not to mention the $30M of Voice.com

Anyway, $190k now is big money that you can use for whatever you want now, without having to wait to the right end user.

I see now that it has been bought by a top domain reseller. He is going to put this one for sale clearly for 7 figures.

But as I say, $190k now is big money that will help you in whatever you want to do right now.

Again, thank you for your post, for reporting the big sale of Write.com and very big congratulations for the sale!

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing.

Definitely lots to learn from your journey.

Wish you the best for the future.

•••
I have never bought any other domain aside from a .com and .nets Bought probably 1-3 .net in my entire domaining career. The .org extension might be good with certain keywords. I would prefer to stick with .com though.
My interest has garnered into short 1 word, 2word, LLL.com domains that have a good resale and retail value.
What tools do you use to make purchase decisions?
I just use expireddomains.net everything is available there

•••
can i know how much percentage of your domain was sold & what was ur avarage waiting or holding time? i am doing this for 8 months & 8 of my domains are sold but all xx price...
As I mentioned i’ve been more a flipper since I’m an impatient guy and don’t like to sit on a name when I can make a good profit just from flipping it. You probably need to extend your budget and buy better names and come up with newer strategies.

•••
Congratulations on so much success and with a different business model of essentially concentrating only on quick flips (with somewhat more limited ROI ratios per domain, perhaps) rather than the traditional model of a portfolio most of which will not sell in any given year. I see considerable merits in your approach, and you have proven it works for you! :xf.smile:

My domaining journey started about 4 years ago when I was 16-17 years old.
Did you encounter any problems at start that they would not let you do transactions below legal contract age? Or maybe that age is different where you live.

i really like many of the great names you have handled, especially smaller, grew and write.

Thanks for telling us about it @NetworkPearl!

Bob

PS Can you share more ideas on how you go about private acquisitions? i think this is something many of us do not do, but can find some great names at outstanding values, but not a ton written on how to approach doing it.

Last edited:
•••
man do i suck at domaining after reading this!

•••
Hello Everyone,

Nice to see someone made the sale. Happy for you.

It is always good to congratulate and it sure feels good being congratulated at the same time but the main key element here isn't just money that derived from it but the process on how each one was purchased and sold for a profit. So to some, it might sound life-changing money for some the effort he put in that also brought in the learning experience counts more than money and I think whoever has been through this understand it better than me.

Today, if write.com is/was sold for a price of 190,000 US$ maybe someday a another nice domain, can be purchased anywhere from 10-50k might sell for 5-10 million so it's not like he left any money on table, but he picked up an experience from it which even 190,000 couldn't buy and it will make him a better person in understanding how to manage better names in the future.

My argument with many people on namepros and people around me who wants to learn about domains has always been that very few actually take time to teach you how domains are purchased and from where and most of the people who come here wanting to learn they come with an attitude that they could be overnight millionaire, which isn't bad at all we all see dreams, but we need to look at reality and learn how to make domains work.

The cost and research involved in this process are often skipped by some, or they often tell you which is the best domain that i can buy which can sell for whatever price.

what they fail to understand is that most successful domainers who sold or is yet to make his big sales have been in this for a long time but there is no easy money in life so one should do their research and invest in a fun way always start small and make your way forward and stick to your decisions unless your wrong and you don't wish to see it :)

Thank you but I just felt like typing this :) Good luck to everyone

•••
Thank you for disclosing this information!

you’re a hero!! NDA’s are selfish

ur story inspires me, wish continued success, thank u for giving back!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Hi it's not a good idea to sit on just 1 domain unless you own hundreds or thousands. The best option is to sell a domain and buy 3 similar domains which have a better chance of selling for more.
I totally agree! Very good done really, you can invest now the $190k for whatever you want, for domaining or for anything else.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back