IT.COM

discuss Here's why .XYZ will fail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There has been a lot of hype lately for .xyz because of a small number of big sales. I see a lot of people overextending themselves and pouring a lot of their budget in this extension. Personally, I believe .xyz is doomed to fail. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't. Here is my case for why I think .xyz will fail:

1) Low number of sales

According to Namebio.com, in the last two years there have been only 867 sales. Only 359 of those have been over $1,000. Yes, these are only reported sales, but unimpressive none the less. Now, compare this with the number of .xyz registered in the past two years, and this number will seem even more minuscule. Most of the names that sold were also premium one word names.

2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.

3) It's ugly

Aesthetically and phonetically .xyz is ugly. It's three syllables, unlike .com, .me, .net, .co... Which makes it harder to say. It looks horrible when it's part of a design or even just typing it. It feels cheap.

4) People don't trust it

Because of all the reasons above and the cheap initial registration costs, there aren't enough legitimate businesses using the extension and there are lot of spammy sites. Starting to type in Google "is .xyz" gives a first suggestion of "is .xyz safe". Same goes for ".xyz domain" (third suggestion).

5) It's not early

I know many of you will say that it's still early for .xyz. But it isn't. It has been around since 2014. It had some initial hype because of Google using it and that hype hasn't materialized. I don't think it ever will.

That's just my two cents. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If Xyz registry is clever, it has a massive chance to expand its use case to the education (esp edtech) sector, especially any language and (by extension) travel related companies as well as communications sector like pr, marketing, pr, Telco, voicetech, etc. Businesses like Linguaphone, Duolingo, Udemy, Skillshare, Yousician etc would be suitable types of businesses.

You saw it here first.
Plus the transport, infrastructure and logistics sector. Within this space, Satnav, telematics, signage and construction companies are another great fit for xyz.

•••
... @DNGear sold metadata.xyz for 50k.

If the buyer is a nP member he is welcome to share some metadata about his 50 K purchase and his plans with his new .xyz asset, if he is not a member he is welcome to create an account to do so - in this case maybe @DNGear would like to let him know about this opportunity.

1643155143582.png

Last edited:
•••
Or maybe @equity78 can arrange an interview with the buyer, would be interesting to learn more from him about his domain name purchase.

Last edited:
•••
I've been around for over 20 years doing this profitably as a sideline. Some people will make money on any extension that comes out. The vast majority won't make anything regardless of the extension. If you like it, register/buy it. If you don’t, then move on.

But be aware a lot of us have suffered through .biz, .us, .ws, and .mobi and every other new extension that gets hyped and disappears. We don't want to gamble again if we feel we have better odds elsewhere.

If another extension actually becomes established, then I will trade it.

Until then, this is the same thread I've seen 100 times about all the others. someone should dig them up for a laugh.

Congrats to DNgear, who appears to be successfully riding the wave. if I was serious about .xyz, id be trying to reverse engineer her competitive advantage. I’m sure it isn’t lottery ticket luck 😀
On point. On the other 100+ threads, dig em' up for an educational moment too. All the questions raised by the OP have been visited and refuted, time and time again. And since those posts, we've seen growth both in sales and adoption.

The one thing I do want to reiterate, as done 100 times before, investors play a part in establishment. Shocker.

•••
Not joking, thinking that xr.com is better in looking is just an old mindset(high volume legacy regs making you think that way) , in my opinion .com will eventually looks like .net (even looks older).
.net is better than .xyz so what's your point?

•••
The one thing I do want to reiterate, as done 100 times before, investors play a part in establishment. Shocker.
Why all the .xyz sales now after 8 years? Hype and only hype. Hype = sales.

•••
Why all the .xyz sales now after 8 years? Hype and only hype. Hype = sales.
Of course hype plays a role. Huge role. There was lot of hype in 2000 too. The aftermath didn't mean the failure of an extension did it? I think what does survive after this current hype will help in laying a foundation in a functional alternatives. Or even premium word mainstreams. I was never fond of .xyz simply because I thought it looked ridiculous.

It's grown on me though, and I kind of get the "why". There were no NFTs or blockchain hype 8 years ago, and to understand that you need a change in perspective, which actually I still don't have, but learning.

•••
This isn’t the 90s…no one use .net. Dead extension.

Might as well start using floppy drives if you’re buying .net honestly.

Last edited:
•••
It's not that I disagree, it's that I don't think it matters, and 'this TLD' vs 'that TLD' arguments are silly and non-constructive.

If a registry is doing what it can to limit abuse, then the exact numbers don't really matter, especially when they're so low.

The last sentence was the real point, and was not directed at anything you posted, intentionally anyway: that more people probably haven't even heard of XYZ than have heard it's a bad domain.

IOW, again, I don't think the spam/abuse issue is a huge deal, and the biggest issue isn't to get people to stop thinking of XYZ as a bad extension, but for more people to hear about it in the first place.
Comparison is needed when determining if one thing is good or not. The best way is to compare with benchmarks. But unfortunately there is no benchmark for the bad score. So I choose .com bad score as the reference for comparison because .com is the most used domain extension. There are people thinking that .xyz will fail because it is used for spamming. But if .com has a worse bad score than .xyz but still succeeds, then why .xyz will fail because of spamming? This is totally nonsense.

The registry's action to combat spamming is important because it shows that the registry cares about the future of .xyz. It is a great point for the success of .xyz. Low numbers reflect that the outcome of the registry's effort in anti-spamming and prove that its action did work.

Spamming is a big issue for a domain extension because it may generate bad image which affects adoptions. Luckily, .xyz has overcome the issue.

It may be true that many people still haven't learned of .xyz. But as I mentioned in my writing, .xyz is now at the Introduction or Growth stage of Product Life Cycle where is the stage of gaining awareness. Given that .xyz is associated with web3 and has a unique feature related to NFTs, it is expected that more and more people and companies will know and adopt .xyz in the future.

To look at the future, we should focus on potential.

•••
While I agree with many points that OP raised, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if we think a tld or a keyword will succeed or fail. What matters is what is happening in the market in terms of adoption. I'm not talking sales volume or sold prices as that could be domainers investing in names. I'm talking actual web/business buildout.

Google and Square using .xyz helped promote value/visibility.
FB rebranding as Meta helped Meta+kw.
Opensea using .io..............

you get the point

Last edited:
•••
No, to me .net looks older to .com and is about to dead in a couple years. That’s my 2cent.

•••
Whys xyz so addicting
Perhaps xFiles Fox
From way back

•••
Any business run on reliability. If any product is being sold by one entity then it can be called as monopoly or cartel. If the product is being sold by number of people it is called distribution, sharing or retail. In my view .xyz names are not buying on retail basis.

•••
This isn’t the 90s…no one use .net. Dead extension.

Might as well start using floppy drives if you’re buying .net honestly.
As someone as already pointed out, it doesn't matter what we think. At the end of the day, you either have the .com or you don't, which will always make you 2nd best. Something that will most likely never change, at least not in the next decade.

IMO, I would still pick .net if I couldn't get the .com. At least everyone has heard of .net, something you can't say about most alternative extensions. On the other hand, I would choose a business name that I could get the .com in.

•••
As someone has already pointed out, it doesn't matter what we think.

Whoever "pointed that out", he is wrong - of course it matters what we think.

At the end of the day, you either have the .com or you don't, which will always make you 2nd best.

Good joke but there is a joke thread, I would suggest to post that sentence there.

But the best joke here is still:

.xYz WiLL fAiL

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Those who reg allot of .XYZ may develop xyzophrenia, you know it's a mental health condition.

Last edited:
•••
Those who reg allot of .XYZ may develop xyzophrenia, you know it's a mental health condition.

Reminds me citizen kane's xanadu, where his wares, inventory is burnt, for they are simply worthless ; "rosebud"

Last edited:
•••
Or, perhaps God thought, why should .COM boys have all the fun? Let it rain on .XYZ's side ; 0

•••
This is a section for "domain discussion". Or are we allowed one thread for the entire forums per extension? :zippermouth:
When multiple threads exist on the very same topic the mods often combine them because it’s annoying as hell to see yet another xyz thread every few posts

They have done it with other highly repeated threads. Did you even search before you made yet another xyz thread? I didn’t think so.

Last edited:
•••
i recently purchased a .xyz after reading few comments here, this one word popped into my head. Beat ya this time
Abstractdomainer thread perfect example. A few people posting there belong in this, demographic, I will call it.
This thread, another group of the same demographic, different people mostly. Reg 6 years and drooped. The .net was reg for 18 years and dropped. I grabbed xyz not now but right now. The .net some noob can book that. Or no one ever will.
.net is biggest failure of all extensions
Some succeed and some fail doing the exact same thing. However times are changing.
Visit recent sale reported on dnjournal Beem dot xyz
Go ask them why they invested in an extension that means the end.
Why book an xyz and create a brand when google owns the matching .com?
Narrow minded people can be the most successful, as they focus on one thing, but that doesn’t mean it the only way to do it.
I am on the xyz money train. Hop on before all the two word seats are gone
Or visit Swetha.xyz if you want to ride first class

•••
@karmaco why is .xyz different to .biz?
Can you use .biz as a crypto wallet address

What other (authorized by ICANN) DNS extensions exist that you can utilize as a wallet address

The number one company in terms of online presence is using the name

abc.xyz

The number one US “P2P” transaction payment platform is using

block.xyz

The second most valuable crypto currency, Ethereum has a partnership w/ .xyz to utilize .xyz domains as crypto wallet addresses’ for NFT artists and collectors to conduct their business’ more efficiently instead of typing a long string of #’s

where does Amazon.xyz go

where does Apple.xyz go

where does Facebook.xyz go

Do you think the IT employees of these companies are not prepared in the event of the meta verse and web3

My advice to anyone, if you think .xyz is a fad, it isn’t > it’s only going up and you heard it here ! The train already took off, some of you can get on the same track, some of you can find another train !

Last edited:
•••
where does Amazon.xyz go

where does Apple.xyz go

where does Facebook.xyz go

Do you think the IT employees of these companies are not prepared in the event of the meta verse and web3
They've been redirecting for years...

https://web.archive.org/web/20180811064029/http://amazon.xyz/
https://web.archive.org/web/20180601000000*/apple.xyz

Then there's facebook (meta), they're so ready that they don't own meta.xyz...

1643800395621.png

They have been redirecting instagram since 2018 as well...

https://web.archive.org/web/20180601000000*/instagram.xyz

To say it's some kind've coordinated push to use .XYZ is a bit of a misnomer.

You could say the same thing about .CO:
amazon.co, apple.co, instagram.co, facebook.co all redirect.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back