Dynadot

How do you design forums?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I found it when doing a search on how to create forum. I still haven't found a link that tells me the "how to" aspect. I want to develop a forum for one of my clients.

I'm not a programmer, and get easily confused when all the little PPs, etc. I need it simple.

Anyone have some suggestions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well I couldn't explain exactly how you would go about creating a forum, but I could tell you there's alot involved and it's not simple. :) Forums are usually developed by a team of programmers designers etc... But that doesn't mean it's not possible to create one on your own.

Some things that may help you get going in the right direction:
Learn some programming / scripting languages, PHP would probably be a good one to start with.

Look at the source code of other forum software. Learn how it works, maybe try editing the code to make it do certain things, add new features etc..

Start by developing simple scripts and gradually move up to developing more complex scripts. Maybe learn how to make a simple registration and/or login script to begin with and continue from there.

When your ready and actually want to get started you'll want to know:

. What programming / scripting language you are going to use.
. What features you absolutely have to have in the program.
. What features you would like to have, but may be able to do with out.
. And alot of other stuff that I wouldn't know. :D

Anyways I hope that helps you out a little. :) You could also try going to different websites that provide forum software and ask them how they go about doing it, and maybe they'll be nice enough to tell ya.

:beer:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back