NameSilo

discuss How do you value a brandable domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Every week there are reported sales of domain names that perhaps are not clear as to why they sold for four or even five figures. They appear to be keywords that no one searches for. But when you look at Google Keyword Planner you discover that yes there actually are people searching for that phrase. In other cases the search volume is close to zero. Maybe no one searches for that phrase but the phrase still makes sense as a brand to promote some product or service. The phrase "a domain is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it" is often used. The metrics of keyword search volume and PPC do not apply here. Someone wanted the domain and they were willing to pay X for it. But how do you gauge how much to ask for? If Google wants your domain, they have a greater ability to pay than a solo entrepreneur. What are they going to use it for? Additional thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it's a domain related to a specific use (something like dealhound.com, snapcart.com, appcore.com etc.), I usually start with $5000. Buyer might shy away right there and then but if he comes back with an offer, it's usually not the lowest and depending on your negotation skills, you might able to fetch 2k-3k for it.

If it's a brandable that can be used for various applications (something like clearfocus.com, visionconnect.com, smartpoint.com), I usually start with > 10k and go from there.

Of course there's always a lot of factors to consider...

EDIT: And of course the name itself matters, too... If it has a popular KW as a modifier (e.g. smart, easy, pro, point, way, super and whatnot), the price should be higher as there's more possible buyers considering the name IMO.

•••
Close your eyes spin a wheel! :)

•••
Every week there are reported sales of domain names that perhaps are not clear as to why they sold for four or even five figures.
It probably comes down to the price you offer it for sale, the buyer's budget, and how much they like the domain name. If a domain name is their 5th favorite on a list of 10 domains, they probably won't spend much on it. If it's their first choice, they'll probably stretch their budget as far as they can to pay for it. I say it just comes down to how desirable the domain name is and whether the buyer has the money to pay what you want for it.

I'd like to know of any formulas or methodologies that some of the branding experts use. We should contact a branding company to ask them their thoughts on it.

•••
I give some tips on brandable valuation tools in my blog at DNgeek if anyone is interested. Cheers!

•••
There are no rules for pricing brandables.

Every week, you see 5-letter brandables going for 5 figures and you see people selling them for $50-500 on Namepros.

Discussion about this topic is a waste of time...or time-pass for flippers or impatient souls.

Good luck. Continue time-pass discussions.

•••
Can anybody tell me how much I should ask for for these domains on flippa.
1. beardfull.com
2. catmose.com
3. glancea.com

Please give your inputs, if the domains are worth something.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back