IT.COM

question-answered How many WARNINGS before ACCOUNT RESTRICTED?

NameSilo
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
As someone who gets rule violation warnings on the regular I find myself uniquely qualified to know how many rule violation warnings you get before you get your account restricted.

nothing is more annoying than getting your account restricted.

it means all your posts on here get delayed until mods get around to your post to moderate.

I understand the need for rules and punishment for breaking said rules but even then process by with punishment is distribute has to have rules too.

so let’s make it official.

how many rule violations does a member on here need to commit before their account is restricted?

The last time for me it took a while after the first warning. Like 2-4 other consecutive rule violations.

This recent account restriction? I got one in May and now one today.

with that said. Shouldn’t there be a “good behavior reset” if a member has “behaved” say 3 months since the last violation or warning?

also as far as these violations are concerned are these part of each member’s “permanent record”?

What I mean is say a member commits 2-4 violations which results in an account restriction. Once the account restriction is lifted are those 2-4 violations deleted and reset? or are they forever used as points against the member? which explains why after a warning it takes just one rule violation not 2 or 4 before an account is restricted because past violations were never deleted after last account restricted. If this is the case it needs to be clarified here unless it already is somewhere in the rules.

it can’t be maybe your account will get restricted after 1 violation or 5 violations.

things needs to be black and white clear.

thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
it can’t be maybe your account will get restricted after 1 violation or 5 violations

Would highly depend on what the nature of the violation (s) is. I'd imagine some are decided on a case by case basis, some are basic and it won't really matter much once lifted.

•••
Oh I’m a pro at restricted accounts

Hello,

That particular thread’s guidelines (decided by its creator) don’t specifically state the type of discussion that’s allowed, so it’s open to each moderator’s interpretation and thoughts on what makes the most sense. That could explain why you might see slightly different decisions about it.

For example, we typically try to encourage the use of reactions rather than commentary in that thread, but questions about sales are allowed.

It’s possible that the moderator thought the question was about how you track your sales, which could be highly relevant and interesting to most readers of that thread.

Even how you track your names might be interesting to many readers of that thread, but this mod team would have preferred to move that question to another thread (or it’s own thread).

We hope that helps.

Cc @Alfa Mod Team @Echo Mod Team

That reply can be found here

https://www.namepros.com/threads/when-is-discussion-acceptable-in-the-report-sales-thread.1243491/

Last edited:
•••
I mean I’ve been a member of many forums online over the years and the majority of people being banned or restricted at those other forums is mostly because of illegal content or disruptive or antagonistic posts and of course cursing and adult content.

it seems on Namepros it’s more about the rules you break causes more work for mods.

like for me? It’s usually because I post mainly in the general discussion section.

I’m just assuming mods are just tired and annoyed when I do that and I agree it is but to merit having your paid account restricted?

I pay for my account because I like the benefits. But if I am being restricted because Mods are overwhelmed by free users breaking the rules and then I come along and break the rules. It’s not fair that I’m being thrown into the “free user rule violator bunch. Not that I want special treatment because I am a paying member but it kinda is like that.

People who don’t pay for an account have nothing to lose so of course they will be prone to breaking rules.

do I break the rules?
Yes.

do my specific rule breakings merit restricted accounts?

I don’t think so.

its situations like this that will cause or have caused users to leave Namepros and that is sad. It is already noticeable how there are less and less of the old school users on here we can learn from.

now it’s just a bunch of newbies acting like pros on here providing amateur advice. And yes that includes me lol.

I would like mods to please take a look at my recent restricted account label and see if it was some automated glitch. My LAST Warning was in May. Thanks.

•••
Let me just state what I have observed.

I have been restricted many times because I post in the general discussion section when I should have known to post in a specific section.

I understand what I do creates more work for mods. That is fair to say and I apologize but why are mods so busy? Mostly because I think there are bad actors on Namepros doing bad things like posting adult stuff in non adult sections or linking to other forums or generally causing trouble. Obviously most will be free non paying users. People who have nothing to lose.

I feel free users overwhelm Mods so much that they end up treating all users who break the rules the same.

sure restrict those free users like wholesale but don’t bite the hand that feeds you and keeps the lights on. Don’t treat paying members the same as free users who break rules.

I feel paying members who break the rules should be treated delicately on a case by case basis and not the same across the board.
Having a membership after all has its perks.
Just my opinion.

it’s a shock when my account gets restricted.

especially when the only thing that caused it was that I ADDED CONTENT to Namepros but simply made the mistake of putting it in the wrong section.

content after all is king yes?

Does posting a thread in the wrong section really merit a restricted account? What do you think NP?

Ok so it looks like the restriction was lifted? As it seems I can post now without need for moderator approval.

how much you wanna bet this thread will somehow end up getting me a restricted account? Lol

sigh********

•••
Let me just state what I have observed.

I have been restricted many times

Just reading this thread makes me want to restrict you. Sorry, or maybe not ?

•••
Just ask your wife if it’s ok before posting then you should be ok.

•••
Just reading this thread makes me want to restrict you. Sorry, or maybe not ?

lol sorry not sorry? I’m just saying it’s annoying getting restricted for something minor as posting in the wrong section. It’s an honest mistake that I habitually do.

Do you ever have a good idea for a post or thread but aren’t quite sure where to place it? You get excited or overzealous but you simply want to put pen to paper before you forget your idea? Happens a lot to me.

There you go. Should someone who actually wants to add content to Namepros be always penalized? If I had a website I would be exstatic if people freely wanted to add content to my website so I don’t need to and for free? Cmon!

So with these constant restrictions. It kinda discourages me from posting on here for fear of being restricted. Which would be bad since a restriction means posts will be delayed.

Anyways problem solved. I guess it was some automated glitch. Moving on.

Last edited:
•••
Just ask your wife if it’s ok before posting then you should be ok.

lol I have yet to put a ring on it Johnn. Soon though.

•••
•••
That's quite an assumption.

of course there are exceptions to the rule. But I don’t think I’m too far off. When you have no skin in the game there is no real reason for you to behave.

me on the other hand I pay the most you can pay for Namepros because I like the benefits but also because I love this place.

I don’t like to screw up on purpose and yet I do. Unintentional 100% but there are those for sure who want to abuse their free accounts and spam on Namepros they are the ones I bet using up the Mods time on here.

I have no data to support but I’m just making generalizations . Fair ones.

sure there could easily be bad actors with paid accounts too.

again I repeat treat each situation on a case by case basis.

I firmly believe posting in the wrong section shouldn’t merit an account restriction.

agree or disagree?

•••
Restricted is a dark place.

Worst one, is “market” thankfully, u honorable!

I agree, i wish NP could clarify rules, a bit. My introduction to Rule 1.5 was, shall we say… “Baptism by fire 🔥

I will @Bravo Mod Team
@Alfa Mod Team @Echo Mod Team

Please dont restrict me, we havin conversation
OP is a brave soul; to broach this subject.

I too, consider myself a “good boy” but learned NP doesn’t discriminate… I like to think i follow their rules and stay out mods way; HARD job.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I pay for my account because I like the benefits. But if I am being restricted because Mods are overwhelmed by free users breaking the rules and then I come along and break the rules. It’s not fair that I’m being thrown into the “free user rule violator bunch. Not that I want special treatment because I am a paying member but it kinda is like that.

From what I observed all violations are being treated equally for both paying and non paying members, like I think it should.

Paying money should never give people power to 'break' the rules. As soon as mods cross that line they would stoop to the level of the dead forum. We all know how that works out.

I get where you come from though. You like to contribute and it hurts your ego (no offense) when the mods give you a 'fair' warning. What it comes down to, disagree all you want, their house their rules :).

Ultimately I think they're doing a pretty decent job for a forum this size. Seen better but definitely have seen a lot worse.

I've never been restricted but have gotten a fair deal of warnings. It seems odd when you have the best intentions but when you look at the bigger picture it's just to keep us domainers in check and behave. It's nothing to get upset about, you don't really need namepros is it's that big of an issue you know :) just:
thumb_let-it-go-let-it-g000000-memegenerator-net-let-it-go-let-53935679.png

:)

•••
Now I'm starting to see why you're restricted

(Only kidding)

•••
image.jpg
Lol case in point this thread was just moved to another section. I posted in wrong section again!

I can’t get a break!

also I am in the dreaded ER. my gf’s father had a blood infection and was acting loopy.

so I was bored. Been here for 3 hours waiting just to be seen. Lol

Last edited:
•••
From what I observed all violations are being treated equally for both paying and non paying members, like I think it should.

Paying money should never give people power to 'break' the rules. As soon as mods cross that line they would stoop to the level of the dead forum. We all know how that works out.

I get where you come from though. You like to contribute and it hurts your ego (no offense) when the mods give you a 'fair' warning. What it comes down to, disagree all you want, their house their rules :).

Ultimately I think they're doing a pretty decent job for a forum this size. Seen better but definitely have seen a lot worse.

I've never been restricted but have gotten a fair deal of warnings. It seems odd when you have the best intentions but when you look at the bigger picture it's just to keep us domainers in check and behave. It's nothing to get upset about, you don't really need namepros is it's that big of an issue you know :) just:
Show attachment 198458

:)

I know the concept of “relaxing” what most don’t realize is that there are plenty of members that are no longer here because their were banned or account closed.

does no one realize at some point these occasional account restricted will eventually add up to having your account closed or you banned from Namepros?

I have seen several accounts on here with this label.

this is why I worry.

people say it’s no big deal but it adds up. Or doesn’t it?

I don’t know. I feel like it does and can get you banned eventually. Can anyone confirm?

•••
•••
@WhoaDomain.com, you received about 29 warnings/reminders prior to being restricted the first time—some of those may have been deemed invalid, which the moderator issuing the restriction would’ve taken into consideration. Skimming over the warnings, none look particularly serious, which is why it took so long to get restricted.

It looks like you were restricted twice. The first time your restriction was lifted because you showed that you were making an effort to post in the correct forum, but the restriction was reinstated after you resumed posting in the wrong forum.

We don’t deliberately favor paying members when it comes to restrictions, in part because that would look rather dishonest and corrupt. I certainly understand your sentiment.

Memberships on NamePros are fairly inexpensive; they aren’t enough to earn white-glove service. While our moderators tend to be quite patient when people have good intentions, there does come a point at which they have to stop holding your hand. $10 per month is enough to earn you some extra privileges, but don’t expect a personal secretary at that price point. You’re still expected to do your part in keeping our community organized.

That being said, if you find the forum titles or descriptions unclear, and you have suggestions that would help ensure threads are posted in the correct place, we would welcome that feedback.

•••
[Memberships on NamePros are fairly inexpensive; they aren’t enough to earn white-glove service. While our moderators tend to be quite patient when people have good intentions, there does come a point at which they have to stop holding your hand. $10 per month is enough to earn you some extra privileges, but don’t expect a personal secretary at that price point. You’re still expected to do your part in keeping our community organized.

I disagree with what the OP referred to about paid members behaving better because of having skin in the game. The fee is low enough that it is not much skin.

I actually tend to see it a bit the other way. There are a lot of veterans that have been here for years and don't have paid accounts. They paid their dues in time and energy given to the forum.

I think the time/energy invested is far more skin in the game than very little money.

I also have not seen any favoritism from NamePros regarding paid or unpaid accounts.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Just stop breaking the rules maybe?

•••
One thing is you aren't allowed to be an expert it has to be from some random rather than a site owner. eg can someone post linking sites.
No as the person responding that knows isn't allowed to reply with a link as seen as self promotion.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back