Domain Empire

How you evaluate your own Domain ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ro5hit

NameZeal.comTop Member
Impact
Well , This is most important thing while selling a domain to end customer. So how you really evaluate your domains ,i mean all domain including dictionary , Brandable, short, PR domains and whatever left. Are you rely on Estibot.com well i never get it. it never shows the actual value of domains. sometimes it shows mid $ XXX to three word domains or sometimes $0 to domain.
or swift Appraisals or GD appraisals or you try to evaluate with sedo auto evaluator. well no one gives a clue especially when it comes to brandable. And prices also depend upon time.

see this , when you try Auctions like flippa or GD or sedo and you get $XXX or XXXX and that same domain taken by a professional broker he turned it into sometimes five figure Domain or when you reach end customer by own, you barely get $600.

so are you trying any other methods for evaluating your domain or any website/software/your method etc. or Is the game lies in convincing buyer for that what we wanted ? or we overprice it

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Automated appraisals are worth nothing. I've sold names for 4 figures that had $0 - $15 appraisals And I have names appraised in low - mid 4 figures that couldn't be sold for low $xxx.

Automated appraisals are only good for exact match keyword domain that have a good search volume to give you a general idea of what it could possibly be worth based on the numbers but no one buys a domain only based on stats.

How I appraise my domains, I use my gut. I put myself into the position of a person that would be interested in it, what they would do with it, and how much money they could make with it if they used it as a business. I ask myself if I wanted this name, what else very similar to it could I use? And then I lookup those domains and check their availability/asking price. I then look at completed sales of similar domains. If a lot of alternatives are available, I may not even acquire a domain unless it was the best possible choice and then would have to price it modestly since there are alternatives unless I do a buy-out. There are other factors as well but those are some key ones for me.

Last edited:
•••
Automated appraisals are worth nothing. I've sold names for 4 figures that had $0 - $15 appraisals And I have names appraised in low - mid 4 figures that couldn't be sold for low $xxx.

Automated appraisals are only good for exact match keyword domain that have a good search volume to give you a general idea of what it could possibly be worth based on the numbers but no one buys a domain only based on stats.

How I appraise my domains, I use my gut. I put myself into the position of a person that would be interested in it, what they would do with it, and how much money they could make with it if they used it as a business. I ask myself if I wanted this name, what else very similar to it could I use? And then I lookup those domains and check their availability/asking price. I then look at completed sales of similar domains. If a lot of alternatives are available, I may not even acquire a domain unless it was the best possible choice and then would have to price it modestly since there are alternatives unless I do a buy-out. There are other factors as well but those are some key ones for me.

GL!
well i agree with most of statements and i learnt, but you said "I then look at completed sales of similar domains", this point lured many domainers and most of the time they don't get what they expect.i too experienced it. And what about nice brandable LLLLL or six letter pronouncable .com's they have unexpected response from XX to 6 figures. I think there should be a website which suggest a price range to a domainer that he/she should sell a domain name. That will give him a better chances of converting a sale.
Appraisal if manual done it can change the domain industry.

•••
You should worry less about a tool to appraise domains and worry more about learning what type of domains are valuable. Do as much reading as possible, study this industry and you will simply know how to valuate domains. There are already appraisal tools that have been around for years.

•••
I look at all domains as having two sets of variables, objective and subjective.

The objective variables are things that can be quantified and measured. these might included searches, visits, back links, past sales etc. These are easily verifiable metrics that you can feed into an algorithm like Estibot and it will shoot out a number. this is the science of domain pricing.

The subjective part is much more difficult as it has to take into consider lots of things that can't be measured or quantified. Things like cultural meanings, languages, trends, the ideas of what you could do with the domain, past success with similar domains and your own experience or skills. This is the art of domain pricing.

These two components may not be of equal value either. I personally use a 40% Objective and 60% Subjective mix, but you can use whatever you want. There is no algorithm that can take these inputs and spit out a number.

I think pricing tools also have some value for relative estimates because you can compare an equal set of objective variables. So you may be able to say that domain A is better than domain B based on the objective tools, but being better than B doesn't imply what you would get for it, if anything. You would need to find a way to normalize the relative values to a real world price, and that is the problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back