Domain Empire

Humm, need help..

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi all,

Well a friend of mine has got into some trouble with some trolls making threats. Anyway, turns out that they've listed my friend on some popular "offenders" (type of thing) website. Their full address, telephone number the lot.

I'm wondering who I can contact to get this removed. If I contact their host, will they take the site down until they remove it, or contact the registrar?

Please give me some advice, no way can this be legal.

Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
can you give us some more information?

-Steve

•••
OK. Lets call this friend Pam. Person causing it is called lets say Betty.

Well Pam breeds cats and sells them, she sold 1 cat 2 years ago to Betty. Betty then praised her saying the cat is amazing etc. Last christmas Pam got another email from Betty explaining how good the first cat is, she wants another. So they sold her another and all went fine. Until Betty said the cat has a problem and so did the first but she "decided not to say anything". Pam obviously said that it wasnt her problem and it didnt come from her home. The problem could have happened anywhere. Well then that was it, Betty decided to file a thing on a website where they name and shame all bad cat breeders. They've put Pams full name, address and telephone number on a public website.. Pam has no say in this, Betty said she will remove Pam from the website once Pam pays for Betty's cats vet bills. Obviously Pam wouldnt do that..

•••
Has Betty posted anything that is not true?

•••
She's put up Pam's address and a comment about her. It's not true that Pam passed the cats on with whatever..

It's just I didnt think you was allowed to put peoples full address and telephone number without their consent..

•••
If something untrue has been posted then there may be a defamation issue. But bear in mind that facts (ie a sequence of events), and an opinion “I think this person sucks” are not defamation, not matter how much you dislike them.

•••
Here's my two cents: If I understand correctly, the website is an independent site not owned by Pam or Betty. Pam should contact the webmaster of the website immediately and ask that the information be taken down (or at least the chance to provide a response). If they don't take any action, I would say Pam should contact the ISP of the website and get them to take some action. If all fails, Pam should hire a lawyer to draft e-mails to Betty, the website, and the website's ISP.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back