Domain Empire

question Is adding a visit-counter to your web page a bad thing?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently added a visit counter to my domain website(at bottom). It also showed current users/visitors online.

But, I am concerned that it might make people think the site isn't legitimate.
I really don't know.

What's are your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, that is so 1990's really.

•••
•••
It's 1990s, and if you have few visitors or no visitors it's negative social proof and likely to scare people away.
Why would you want one? What purpose would it serve?

•••
Ah yes the old hit counters. Personally I would have to also agree with iowadawg. That is an old way of monitoring and tracking traffic. Today there are much more advanced methods of tracking traffic. I would suggest signing up for a product like Google Analytics if you want to track traffic to your site. It is free and will tell you where your traffic is coming from, what countries, what search terms are being used, and a whole lot more valuable information than a simple hit counter can provide.

•••
I think it all comes down to how many visitors you have.
It would be a bit sad to get to a website that counts 7 visitors wouldn't it?
Maybe better waiting until the site is a bit more established.

•••
Use statscounter (dot) com, install and keep it private.

•••
I can't see any link in your signature so I don't know what site you are talking about, but I agree with other members. Having a visible visit counter is an old trend. Nowadays it makes websites look a bit unprofessional unless the site is for people who aren't into any type of online business.

•••
Use Google Analytics as mentioned. It's not 1996 and you're not running an Angelfire website. Counters were a trend, though if I recall, you could upgrade with some services to hide them.

In some cases, a counter could work in your favor. This being a forum or other such platform that people want to see how many are online.

For the most part, all websites don't follow this rule. The best alternative would be displaying how many times an article was shared.

counter_med.png

People read this thread and agree. :P

•••
Ahh this takes me back! Might as well download Frontpage and make the websites too :)

•••
I think it all comes down to how many visitors you have.
It would be a bit sad to get to a website that counts 7 visitors wouldn't it?
Maybe better waiting until the site is a bit more established.
On the other hand, what if your site only gets 7 visitors but your stat counter says 1007 or 10007 or 1000007..some stat counters can be adjusted..

The only stat counter that I kinda like is the one that shows which country, the visitors came from, but that only from a curiosity point of view

I prefer keeping my stats private (Google Analytics)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back