Dynadot

question I've made a mistake

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bonin

DimitarBonin.comTop Member
Impact
I've made a mistake....

About 3 months ago, one of my domains was approved in Brandpa for over $4k, the domain was deleted from all other markets, Dan, Sedo, Flippa and so on, except one ( GoDaddy - I've forgotten ) and this morning I woke up with an offer for this domain in the mid xxx range, so what are my options in this case?

To delete the domain from brandpa... the domain still will be visible there for 30 days
To reject the offer at godaddy and to move on
Or how to transfer the buyer to brandpa ( this is something that I don’t want to do, because is not fair and this is a GoDaddy lead and they deserve the commission ).

So, your opinion please

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Forward the domain to Brandpa and counter the offer at GD with 4K. You will risk losing the sale though.

•••
The domain is forwarded to brandpa, but if the deal go thought GD this will violate the brandpa rules

•••
If you ignore the offer or counter it over the brandpa price they might come to brandpa to buy it.

•••
•••
I've made a mistake....

About 3 months ago, one of my domains was approved in Brandpa for over $4k, the domain was deleted from all other markets, Dan, Sedo, Flippa and so on, except one ( GoDaddy - I've forgotten ) and this morning I woke up with an offer for this domain in the mid xxx range, so what are my options in this case?

To delete the domain from brandpa... the domain still will be visible there for 30 days
To reject the offer at godaddy and to move on
Or how to transfer the buyer to brandpa ( this is something that I don’t want to do, because is not fair and this is a GoDaddy lead and they deserve the commission ).

So, your opinion please
Since you said you published the domain on Brandpa and it is still published on it, then I would just forget about this offer and simply wait. If they are very much interested in it then I am sure they will visit the domain and make an offer( if you have it enabled on Brandpa) or even buy it out right. If you are happy with installments too, you can enable that too so if they want they can choose to pay that way.

Good luck

•••
It is an unfortunate situation but I imagine the exact same thing has happened to others. I would not break BrandPa agreement by making a counter offer on GD. If the buyer is interested in this particular domain and willing to pay a good price they will go there. I hope it works out.
Bob

•••
I’m not going to break any rules, will wait the offer to expire and then will delete the domain from GoDaddy. Even if I lost this sale my reputation is more expensive and more important

•••
You committed the name to Brandpa and honestly the person is probably a domainer trying to get it cheap. Ignore and keep your commitment to Brandpa or give them the 30 day notice and send a counter after it is removed. GoDaddy doesn’t deserve anything when your domain is pointing at Brandpa and you committed it there. You could decline the offer and remove the listing immediately as well.

•••
I personally always just counter at 1 dollar over the BP listing to make a point. they obviously have already checked the url and trying to get a deal. also, keep in mind many offers go unpaid even if you accpet, this is happening to me lately on GD. your also able to open conversation on GD, so counter high and start a chat. lots of options. many dead beat offers to dont get hopes up but do follow through with potential.

•••
These brandable domains are accepted and listed at high prices because the marketing companies need to make their commissions not necessarily because the domains are worth that kind of money or will sell at the listed prices.

Your domain might be worth $4000. it might be worth $400. but getting listed in BrandPa isn’t proof of value.

•••
These brandable domains are accepted and listed at high prices because the marketing companies need to make their commissions not necessarily because the domains are worth that kind of money or will sell at the listed prices.

Your domain might be worth $4000. it might be worth $400. but getting listed in BrandPa isn’t proof of value.

I have different type of problem, the value is not the point, I just don’t want to break any rules

•••
What I mean is - if it were my domain I’d care more about selling it at what it’s worth than getting listed in any exclusive marketplace which I’d never put any domain of mine in any exclusive marketplace to begin with. They all just lock you in such that it becomes impossible to determine if you’ve done the right thing because once you’re in you’re stuck and have no way to compare exposure and marketing elsewhere.

Maybe if I had crappy domains I knew wouldn’t sell elsewhere I might put them in an exclusive marketplace but not otherwise.

•••
I have different type of problem, the value is not the point, I just don’t want to break any rules

Then you don't have a problem, just let the offer expire and close the listing at GD.

•••
What I mean is - if it were my domain I’d care more about selling it at what it’s worth than getting listed in any exclusive marketplace which I’d never put any domain of mine in any exclusive marketplace to begin with. They all just lock you in such that it becomes impossible to determine if you’ve done the right thing because once you’re in you’re stuck and have no way to compare exposure and marketing elsewhere.

Maybe if I had crappy domains I knew wouldn’t sell elsewhere I might put them in an exclusive marketplace but not otherwise.

Excellent point, the time of locking your name into one marketplace that can't show you any reason why you should give them exclusivity is gone. When BrandBucket was new it had something unique. But please BrandPa has nowhere near the reach or rep of Sedo MLS and Afternic/GoDaddy. Giving exclusivity makes no business sense, unless that marketplace can give tangible proof it's working for you.

•••
In some ways, this is all a self-fulfilling prophecy as the vast majority of sales will come from the place you forward the domain to.

So if you have premium names, and forward them to BrandBucket, most of your sales will come from BrandBucket (duh). But if you forward them to Afternic and utilize the GD network (while also listing on Sedo, DAN, etc.), you will likely sell more domains.

•••
I have only 2 domains at brandsble marketplaces, the rest are at GD, Dan and Sedo

•••
I have only 2 domains at brandsble marketplaces
U already made your choice of listing... it's published for over $4k there and GD offer is mid $xxx which is substantially lower than the published price...I would stick with brandpa since it's a Brand Domain

•••

@xynames is right, your business is your first priority. Personally I would remove the domain from the "hostage marketplace" and negotiate a sale with the marketplace who brought you a potential buyer. Sorry just my 2 cents.

•••
BTW BrandBucket started listing their names on Sedo.

•••
•••
Then you don't have a problem, just let the offer expire and close the listing at GD.
I agree with domainrecap, sell at Godaddy and just drop it at brandpa.

•••
This is one of the reason I will never use a marketplace that demands exclusive right, except they give me 100% guarantee of selling the domain at a given time. Selling domain name is already hard enough, restricting it to one platform makes it even harder. Never allow any marketplace to hold your names hostage.

Last edited:
•••
. Even if I lost this sale my reputation is more expensive and more important

Above and beyond everything else..... ^^^ This ^^^

Every circumstance has it's own uniqueness, but if you follow your heart and do what you know is right, you will find this industry will recognize who you are and what you are about, and in the long run it will serve you well.

But of course you already knew this or you wouldn't have started this thread. :)

Peace,
Kenny

•••
Above and beyond everything else..... ^^^ This ^^^

Every circumstance has it's own uniqueness, but if you follow your heart and do what you know is right, you will find this industry will recognize who you are and what you are about, and in the long run it will serve you well.

But of course you already knew this or you wouldn't have started this thread. :)

Peace,
Kenny

Thank you

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back