IT.COM

I've preordered a domain, didn't realise it had trademarks.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Matt1966

Established Member
Impact
I've preordered a .store domain, not knowing the name is the same as a huge company. Will I get into trouble for this? Can I sell it? What do I do???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You should be able to cancel the order if you contact support.

If it's a huge company with a TM then it's best u cancel the order...

•••
You should be able to cancel the order if you contact support.

If it's a huge company with a TM then it's best u cancel the order...
Ok :/ thanks for the advice!

•••
I've preordered a .store domain, not knowing the name is the same as a huge company. Will I get into trouble for this? Can I sell it? What do I do???

as much as cancelling the order has been advised this action is effectively closing the gate long after the horse has bolted so to speak

if a domain name either pre registered or currently available etc that infringes a trademark etc it should not have been made available to purchase in the first place

but the problem of trademark infringed domain names etc prevented from being made available for purchase at source not half way down the chain etc

i reckon its not long before domainers start instigating legal proceedings for financial loss and damage etc due to buying a domain name that they should not have been able to buy but were allowed to because either knowingly or not knowingly a trademark infringed domain name etc was made available for sale etc which it should not have been

trademark owners etc also must take some portion of a domain name that infringes their trademark etc being bought because had they had bought the domain name that infringes their trademark there would be no case to answer etc and this would reduce the amount of trademark infringed domain names that are currently being advertised for sale as being fit for purpose eg use of and or the buying and or selling of and at some point i wouldn't be surprised if trade descriptions act is brought in to udrp disputes

what proportion of a registrars gtld etc is trademark infringed domains eg advertised for sale but can never be bought because they infringe trademrks?

i reckon at least 10% if not considerably more of any new gtld will probably contain trademark infringed domains?

trademark infringed domain names should have a TM by it in the registrar listing but thinking about it should it?

it shouldn't really be listed on a registrar at all

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back